Yoshimura TRS install on 919? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Yoshimura TRS install on 919?

I'm having a little trouble installing the factory heat shield on a set of Yoshi TRS slip-ons. I can get the shield on the mounting tabs but the bolt hole doesn't quit line up. When the shield is on the mounting tabs, it needs to move about 3/32" to the rear of the motorcycle to get the hole to line up. Should I bend the mounting tabs back a little to get the shield to line up? Any advice will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 09:23 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan919 View Post
I'm having a little trouble installing the factory heat shield on a set of Yoshi TRS slip-ons. I can get the shield on the mounting tabs but the bolt hole doesn't quit line up. When the shield is on the mounting tabs, it needs to move about 3/32" to the rear of the motorcycle to get the hole to line up. Should I bend the mounting tabs back a little to get the shield to line up? Any advice will be appreciated.
I have a hazy recollection of fitting mine up and getting the two heat shields reversed, which affected the fit.
Try swapping the heat shields and see if that helps.

If that does not solve the problem, then remove the silicon rubber heat insulators and see how the hole lines up. If they look good, it may just be that the rubber is bunching up when you do your fitting. If it is out, then some careful tweaking of the TRS pipe mounted mounting blades is needed. The rubber can be a bit grabby when fitting up, I used a light layer to help things, it helped some.

Keep in mind that Yosh is very good fitting, so if something looks way off, look for something other than bad Yosh dimensions to be causal.

post #3 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

+1
The left factory shield goes on the right and vise versa

Arte et Marte
post #4 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Immune

I finally got the heat shields on, I had to tweak the brackets slightly. It looked like one bracket was welded on crooked from the factory and it was twisted a little. I ended up bending them about 1/16" on each side to get everything lined up properly. They look great but I haven't started it up to hear how they sound yet since it's raining today.

One pipe is a little loose and is flexing where the springs holds it together. Everything else is tightened to spec and the other pipe is rock solid. Not sure if it's going to leak or not. Any ideas on how to tighten it up a little? With the way it's designed, I believe it will be a case of it is what it is.

post #5 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Pilus Posterior

I left the heat shields off. Why cover those lovely springs and Yoshi welding art? Plus the shields are curved and the Yoshi's angular so it does not look right to my artistic eye.

No heat related issues with the shields off either.

post #6 of 7 Old 03-26-2012, 04:09 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

My shields are flipped as well.

As far as it being a little loose, did you try twisting and getting it to seat tighter? I remember everything fitting very snug, but we had a twist and turn a few times to get one of the pipes aligned.

post #7 of 7 Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Well I loosened everything back up and tightened the bolts a little at a time but one can was still a little loose. I finally had a little time to change the oil and take it out for short ride today and when I got back everything was tight as a drum, no wiggle at all. I guess it just needed a little heat to seat everything properly.

The best part is it sounds great. Not nearly as loud as I thought it would be but it really sounds nice around 5000 rpm. I'm glad I didn't bother to install the low volume insert. I didn't notice any hp gains but it seems to smoothed the power delivery across the entire rpm range which is nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode