XB9R - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 09-05-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Discen

XB9R

I was leaving campus today and a Buell XB9R pulled up next to me at a light (I know it was a 9 because i had previously looked at it parked in the motorcycle parking). It is a 984cc motor and it sounded like a dirt bike. He didn't even come close to the 919!!! Is this because rider or the bike slower, because I was anticipating a loss.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-05-2008, 03:07 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

It's because you have a smooth and powerful four cylinder engine and he has a rough and underpowered Harley V-Twin, CC's mean nothing when comparing an inline 4 and a V-Twin.

post #3 of 14 Old 09-05-2008, 03:12 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'll amen that Sbeau

post #4 of 14 Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Just don't let him get inside on a corner.

post #5 of 14 Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I never rode the xb9 but put a hundred miles on a xb12r. they're turds. I did not like the way it handled and HATED the engine.

post #6 of 14 Old 09-05-2008, 10:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

have faith in your bike and its abilities to beat others. Especially if its a buell. I had a buell blast challenge me the other day. 30ci 1 cylinder. I couldn't believe he was serious.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #7 of 14 Old 09-06-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Discen

I don't know anything about Buells and when I had noticed that this guy had a slightly bigger bike than I did and had a dirt bike sound to it, that there must be some work done to it. I might be right I might be wrong. I just didn't see it coming for me to pull away like that.

post #8 of 14 Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Tirone

According to the lookup I did for dyno charts, your 919 puts down close to 100rwhp while his puts down somewhere in the neighborhood of 76rwhp. The only physical difference is that your bike weighs about 40lbs more (dry)....

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, other than the fact that you have a better engine in there. Honda managed to get more hp/liter than buell did...

post #9 of 14 Old 09-06-2008, 10:14 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91_4x4runner View Post
Honda managed to get more hp/liter than buell did...
Actually Honda managed to do almost everything better than Buell did.

post #10 of 14 Old 09-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Don't underestimate the 919. With the proper rider thats not afraid to run it hard the 9'er will come out in front "A LOT". Then you get the "What the hell is that thing" LOL... its great when you can pull the hole shot to look back in your mirror at someone with fear in there eyes! Because they were just talking smack, they now have to come up with an excuse as to why some plain old bike just kicked there azz. "I missed Second, My clutch is fried or I was sleeping at the light" are the common excuses!

Have fun and stay safe!

post #11 of 14 Old 09-06-2008, 10:55 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I'll second that!

A while back the resident lunatic/nutjob here in my industrial complex, for some reason thought his Buell Blast was faster than my little (plated) XR250R. He had put a D&D pipe, jet kit and a cute little velocity stack on it. For months he kept sayin' he would blow me into the weeds. Well, one day coming back from lunch I rode up next to this idiot and when we turned left onto Industrial park st.(about a 3rd of a mile long), he gasses it like he wants to race. He had about a 20ft. jump on me by the time I decided to go for it.
By the short time it took me to click 4th gear, I had wheelied past and was pulling on him. He finally started to catch me a little when it was time to drop the front wheel and set up for the right hand turn at the end of the street. I clicked down from 6th to 3rd and railed the turn, he on the other hand, locked up his rear brake and slid 70ft. in to the curb (he was OK).
What a Maroon!

Professional
post #12 of 14 Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
I'll second that!

A while back the resident lunatic/nutjob here in my industrial complex, for some reason thought his Buell Blast was faster than my little (plated) XR250R. He had put a D&D pipe, jet kit and a cute little velocity stack on it. For months he kept sayin' he would blow me into the weeds. Well, one day coming back from lunch I rode up next to this idiot and when we turned left onto Industrial park st.(about a 3rd of a mile long), he gasses it like he wants to race. He had about a 20ft. jump on me by the time I decided to go for it.
By the short time it took me to click 4th gear, I had wheelied past and was pulling on him. He finally started to catch me a little when it was time to drop the front wheel and set up for the right hand turn at the end of the street. I clicked down from 6th to 3rd and railed the turn, he on the other hand, locked up his rear brake and slid 70ft. in to the curb (he was OK).
What a Maroon!
A wise man once said "When in doubt.....GAS IT!"

post #13 of 14 Old 09-06-2008, 11:07 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
A wise man once said "When in doubt.....GAS IT!"
I'm not sure who that guy was, but I betcha he's AWSOME!

When I get my camera back from the shop, I'll take some pic's of this guys Buell. It really is comical.

Professional
post #14 of 14 Old 09-08-2008, 06:32 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post

Your comparing apples to oranges here - there is no way you can even think on compairing these two bikes, much less think that a XB9R would do anything vs. a 919 - Its kind of like comparing a Ducati 900ss to a 919 ,
Yeah, the Buell is a sport bike, but, it doesnt have a motor to compair to the 919s- It does pretty well for a air/oil cooled 2 valve motor that was desinged in 1950 , but come on - you guys need to get a life !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode