Wrecked it. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Wrecked it.

A 19 year old girl (her birthday none the less) pulled away from a stop sign to the right, realized that she had gone the wrong way, and backed in to me. By that point I had pulled up to the stop. It needs some fixing but it is rideable. She has Farmers insurance. I have already filed the claim. It was my girlfriend's second time on the back of the bike. We had just gotten back from the dealership where I bought her a sweet new jacket and gloves. She wasn't to messed up over it.

RC

'99 Suzuki GS500e
'07 Honda 919
I'm a stardog, baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Customer View Post

A 19 year old girl (her birthday none the less) pulled away from a stop sign to the right, realized that she had gone the wrong way, and backed in to me. By that point I had puled up to the stop. It needs some fixing but it is rideable. She has Farmers insurance. I have already filed the claim. It was my girlfriend's second time on the back of the bike. We had just gotten back from the dealership where I bought her a sweet new jacket and gloves. She wasn't to messed up over it.

RC
AH, DANG!!! Why people do crap like that, is beyond me... glad you're safe!

And even though I work for said insurance crappomy, make sure they pay!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM
The Cripple

important thing is that you guys are ok!

post #4 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
important thing is that you guys are ok!
+1 sucks but glad you both are OK

post #5 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post

I asked my insurance agent at Allstate how he thought it was going to go. He said "Ever heard of farmers insurance sucks dot com?".

I am glad we are OK but it just reminds you how little people pay attention. I mean come on, we were wearing a half a dozen square yards of hi-viz green. If they don't look to go in reverse on a public road they sure aren't looking forwards.

RC

'99 Suzuki GS500e
'07 Honda 919
I'm a stardog, baby.
post #6 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I no longer try to be bright it makes no difference IMO. After having people not see me countless times while driving a bright red Mercedes. I have no hope of them seeing me in a yellow jacket.

Glad to hear it wasn't too bad, just like a horse you get bucked off you gotta get back on again..... Something like that for the gf.
post #7 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Hastatus Prior

SUCKS! Glad you guys came away un-harmed, the bike can be fixed. Hopefully she won't be too scared to get back on. teehee

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #8 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:

I did not take you for an insurance salesman!! That must be why you are so opinionated...

Arte et Marte
post #9 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 06:17 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Glad you guys were wearing gear.

post #10 of 32 Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
+1 sucks but glad you both are OK
+2!

post #11 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 12:18 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariannasdaddy View Post
I did not take you for an insurance salesman!! That must be why you are so opinionated...
WORSE, he's an IT guy

post #12 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

She wasn't shaken up she was fine getting back on and riding home. We might take the jacked up fender off of it and go for a ride tomorrow.

'99 Suzuki GS500e
'07 Honda 919
I'm a stardog, baby.
post #13 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 AM
TEXAN

Glad it wasn't worse, but still...

post #14 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Pierre-Marc

good to hear that it wasn't more serious...hope it works out with the insurance co.

post #15 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Gunner

as mentioned.. glad youre ok; but think of all that emotional stress youre going to endure!

post #16 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post
I no longer try to be bright it makes no difference IMO....
Funny, I started thinking that way after being cut off on the Bay Bridge in SF resulting in a totaled bike (and broken toe).

Now I dress in black and ride as though I'm invisible, which I may as well be.

Maybe an app will come out that'll display a motorcyclist and their relative position while near by texting drivers.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #17 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
Maybe an app will come out that'll display a motorcyclist and their relative position while near by texting drivers.
Maybe the app will just close down all devices while the owner is driving, meanwhile displaying a message that says "focus on your driving - lives may depend on it"

post #18 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
Glad you guys were wearing gear.
amen to that brother..good she wasnt banged up too badly. you as well. was she reversing fast or was it a fender bender for her and mildly rough for you guys? at least you guys got a story out of it ;D

post #19 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy

Maybe the app will just close down all devices while the owner is driving, meanwhile displaying a message that says "focus on your driving - lives may depend on it"
So true!!!

post #20 of 32 Old 03-24-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

The GF has a couple of bruises. She wants to ride to our friends' place about an hour away tomorrow. I took the busted up front fender off. It looks kind of cool. I might rock it like that for a while. It really isn't that bad, just a lot of parts scuffed and scratched. Might change some things up on it with the fix money and leave some of the scratch and dent stuff alone.

'99 Suzuki GS500e
'07 Honda 919
I'm a stardog, baby.
post #21 of 32 Old 03-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Customer View Post
I asked my insurance agent at Allstate how he thought it was going to go. He said "Ever heard of farmers insurance sucks dot com?".

I am glad we are OK but it just reminds you how little people pay attention. I mean come on, we were wearing a half a dozen square yards of hi-viz green. If they don't look to go in reverse on a public road they sure aren't looking forwards.

RC
Yeah, well don't ask me about my personal experience when we got broadsided by an Allstate carrier about 8 years ago. . Every insurance company has a hater. But as far as an employer goes, Farmers has been really good. Lots of lifers there, people retire after 40-45 years, it's crazy.

IMO, all insurance carriers are in it for money, the end. And you have to treat them all like money-grubbing bandits.

And I never sold insurance, I worked in IT for about 8 years, I now work as a liason between IT and the service reps when our applications go offline. Ironically, I make more doing this than I did in IT.

But I'd still like to get back to an IT job, the current job stresses the heck out of me.

But back to the OP, seriously, don't settle too quickly. And make sure the bike is restored to pristine condition, don't let them use crap parts.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #22 of 32 Old 03-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
On the above, had to share a true story. Looking at a car for my son to buy. It's an older Nissan Sentra 5-speed that the owner has fixed up really nice. Ask him why he's selling, and he says he bought it for his daughter, but she didn't like driving a manual because it was too hard to text while she was driving, so THE IDIOT BOUGHT HER AN AUTOMATIC!

Glad the OP and GF are fine.

post #23 of 32 Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
On the above, had to share a true story. Looking at a car for my son to buy. It's an older Nissan Sentra 5-speed that the owner has fixed up really nice. Ask him why he's selling, and he says he bought it for his daughter, but she didn't like driving a manual because it was too hard to text while she was driving, so THE IDIOT BOUGHT HER AN AUTOMATIC!

Glad the OP and GF are fine.
really?! i never had an issue with driving a manual, texting, carrying on a full convo in ASL, music blaring, and eating all at the same time. seems i turned out ok

people dont have a clue how to drive anymore these days. it is my personal belief that people who are actually skilled with driving a manual make for better drivers overall. so my kids WILL learn on a manual, and WILL drive a manual for the first few years of their driving age. if they dont like it, too bad.

oh, and you can bet your ass it'll be some cosmetically beat up shit-box (but reliable mind you, even if that means i gotta beat it up myself first before giving it to the kid). if they want a nicer car, they'll have to work for one!

post #24 of 32 Old 03-26-2012, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

So how do you guys think it is going to go? All of the parts that are scuffed and scrubbed get replaced right? The rearset is scrubbed, the tank just kissed the cam cover leaving a line on the cam cover and a spot where the paint is broken off, The rear brake lever dug into that aluminum frame part behind it. My Shoei got some scuffs and scratches, going to try to hit em up for a new helmet.

'99 Suzuki GS500e
'07 Honda 919
I'm a stardog, baby.
post #25 of 32 Old 03-26-2012, 04:21 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I've never had to go through this but I would demand all new parts for anything that was damaged.

post #26 of 32 Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Steve

The last time I dropped the bike, anything that touched the ground was replaced, even if only a very minor scratch. And all my gear... Helmet, jacket, knee armour, boots, gloves ect was paid for.The adjuster took all the damaged gear too, I guess so I wouldn't be tempted to reuse it. The carrier was USAA. Demand they pay for everything. If you don't push the issue they will try to lowball you.

post #27 of 32 Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

The helmet will of course be replaced. Anytime gear is involved, it should usually all be replaced.

Of course we are all cheap jacks, too, so we'll try and re-use anything salvageable.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #28 of 32 Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
The helmet will of course be replaced. Anytime gear is involved, it should usually all be replaced.

Of course we are all cheap jacks, too, so we'll try and re-use anything salvageable.
AMEN! all my gear that i was wearing was paid for from my accident nearly 3 years ago, still have and use them to this day!

post #29 of 32 Old 03-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Hastatus Prior

I just went through this last year. Dealt with Farm Buraeu insurance. They paid for a new helmet, gloves and jacket. Pretty much everything I was wearing. I got the money but ended up keeping the jacket because it wasn't scratched up that bad. They may tell you if they pay you for the items they want you to send them in, but they offered me a price that was about 15 bucks less to keep them, so I did since nothing was completely destroyed, and I got the stuff on sale anyways .

They should pay for everything that even has the smallest scuff on it. I'm sure you already know this, but take pictures of everything. I took about 100 pics before the ambulance even got there, of my gear too.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #30 of 32 Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

How much repair do you guys think this bike will take before it is totaled out? It has 7,500 miles on it. Damned near every part of it has been scuffed or scratched but nothing just jumps out at you (aside from the missing front fender). I have been happily riding since the accident. The repair estimate sits at $3,347.29. Bout took a dump when they told me.

RC

'99 Suzuki GS500e
'07 Honda 919
I'm a stardog, baby.
post #31 of 32 Old 04-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
The last time I dropped the bike, anything that touched the ground was replaced, even if only a very minor scratch. And all my gear... Helmet, jacket, knee armour, boots, gloves ect was paid for.The adjuster took all the damaged gear too, I guess so I wouldn't be tempted to reuse it. The carrier was USAA. Demand they pay for everything. If you don't push the issue they will try to lowball you.

Very true...avoid letting them pay you for "cosmetic damage"....
Had a scum bag roll into my three-day-old 06' Tacoma (6 years ago) and put a small dimple in the bumper...The tried to give me $100...TRIED. I got $550 (dimple looks fine some 6 years later).

Be Prepared!
post #32 of 32 Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM
chevy5seven

Glad everyone is ok!

I said, "I ride A naked, not naked!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode