With a weak battery... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

With a weak battery...

... could the motor turn over and sound like it's trying to start (somewhat quickly), but not actually fire?

When I bought the bike used in March, the bike was dead and the previous owner had me jump start it to test ride it. I got home, trickle-charged it and it's been fine since.

But I haven't started in in about 2 months, and after installing the new bar risers, the bike won't start.

Either
a) I horked a wire on the controls when yanking the bars up and back
b) The battery has lost the ghost.

I tried jump-starting the bike off of my Triumph (which, by itself has a crap battery and starts slow ) -- and I didn't get more than one or two minor-coughs like it was trying to start.

I verified the kill switch was off --- with it in the ON position, the bike did nothing. So I'm pretty sure I didn't hork the kill switch; I verified the wires on the clutch side were plugged in.

I have a new battery that I purchased the day I got the 919 home thinking I'd need it, but it's not been used. I'm charging it tonight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

All fuses in the fuse box looked good.

post #3 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Out with the old battery and in with the new. Make sure the new battery is showing at least 12.4 volts standing before hookup. If not, then charge it.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #4 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 07:15 PM
The Cripple

yup, battery : )

post #5 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

OK, I have the new battery on a 6a/2a charger in the 2a position.

Let's say... theoretically that the battery doesn't seem to make a difference.

Without starting an oil-type-jihad thread, could I try using my car to jump start it?

post #6 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

yes..your car is 12v and the bike is also 12v, so it won't hurt anything.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #7 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Back to the bike turning over and not starting.... I don't thnk this is the case with Hondas, but:

Hit the sarter, and even tho the battery has plenty of power to spin the engine the engine in my Super Duke, the ECU will not send spark to the plugs, if the voltage drops below a predetermined level. It was made like this on purpose to protect the electronics from haveing to run on low voltage and therefore damage the system. I think Aprillias are set up the same way.

Battery Tender leads are a MUST HAVE, as far as I'm concerned.

post #8 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Optio

One more reason not to buy a ktm. No offence, just seems like a silly thing to do by designe. Then again, I'm no electrical engineer, but i've never had an electical problem caused by a low battery.

Back to curiousmikes question. It is common for a battery to be able to turn over an engine but their isn't enough juice left to make a good enough spark to light the engine off. With a small bike batter its been my experience that if it is this weak, it only takes a few moments of trying to start it before it becomes obviouse the batter is dead. IE very slow cranking, or no cranking at all.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #9 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
OK, I have the new battery on a 6a/2a charger in the 2a position.

Let's say... theoretically that the battery doesn't seem to make a difference.

Without starting an oil-type-jihad thread, could I try using my car to jump start it?

2 amps is too high IMO(low amp/longer time is better). You should be charging at 1.2 Amps for 5-10 hours. Full charge should be 13-13.2 volts at rest.

Jumping off of another 12 volt source(bike, car, lawn tractor, etc) is fine as long as the engine of such is not running.

Time to buy a "Battery Tender"(can be found on sale for $20). My '03 919 has 52K on the clock with the original battery. It is tendered at all times except when ridden or we stop on tour.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #10 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
Jumping off of another 12 volt source(bike, car, lawn tractor, etc) is fine as long as the engine of such is not running.
I think it's important to emphasis an important part of Doc's post since it was excluded from the ealier post about jumping - the engine should not being running on the vehicle you are jumping from.

post #11 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

OK, short story : It's running fine.

Long story:

a) New battery charged - turn turn turn but not fire.
b) No battery, just the raw leads jumper-cabled to my car not running - turn turn turn cough turn turn turn.
c) No battery, just the raw leads jumper-cabled to my car running - turn turn turn cough cough turn.
d) No battery, just the raw leads jumper-cabled to my car running with the fuel-enrichner pulled out - turn turn START.

I have one battery-tender that I swap between my Triumph and the 919 -- but it spends 85% of the time on the Triumph since it has a history of losing it quickly. I shall endeavor to pick up a second tender.

post #12 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

And, as a side note.

With my cheapy-thermometer reading 48' outside, the 919 seems to have gained 10HP.
The bike wheelied at maybe 2/3rds throttle -- I sat it down and accelerated again and it just popped right back up. Perhaps a combination of the cold weather and the higher bars.

post #13 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

I wonder if this could be filed under user-error; i.e., I should have started with the fuel-enrichner earlier (?) [ I never use it ]

post #14 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Princeps Prior

.......I love those 35 degree cold mornings.......free poowa!

post #15 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 02:30 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

45*, my heart bleeds for you, it's in the teens here... +1 on the colder temps though, the 9er runs like a raped ape.

post #16 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
45*, my heart bleeds for you, it's in the teens here... +1 on the colder temps though, the 9er runs like a raped ape.
.... 45 me and a buddy enjoyed a nice 60*f day out in so cal.... which was quite chilly for us.

actually we went out a week prior when it was ~ 32-37*f out.... shit was COLD

Glad you ur bike started... the enricher probably woulda helped from the beginning. but o well.

And the 919 seems to LOVE cold temps... i think it has to do with the fact that the 919 runs rich so the cooler temps lean it out a lil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode