Wish there was a track around... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Hola Como Estas?

Wish there was a track around...

I attended a MSF Sport Bike Safety Course on Ford Island 2 days ago, which I highly recommend, and found out just how much this bike can really lean.

After doing some exercises of the range, I would really like to take this bike out for some track racing, nothing crazy but I'd like to use the techniques they taught us on a real course as oppose to an open range w/ cones set-up.

We had a race track set up here on island, but they closed it down back in May '06. There's talk about opening another one in Kalealoa so knock on wood they'll have it up while I'm still here. How does this bike fair overall on the track compared to let's say a 600 GSX-r or CBR?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod View Post
I attended a MSF Sport Bike Safety Course on Ford Island 2 days ago, which I highly recommend, and found out just how much this bike can really lean.

After doing some exercises of the range, I would really like to take this bike out for some track racing, nothing crazy but I'd like to use the techniques they taught us on a real course as oppose to an open range w/ cones set-up.

We had a race track set up here on island, but they closed it down back in May '06. There's talk about opening another one in Kalealoa so knock on wood they'll have it up while I'm still here. How does this bike fair overall on the track compared to let's say a 600 GSX-r or CBR?
before you get too crazy with the lean angles make sure that if it has bridgestone b56 tires on it to change them to anything else... IMHO.. those tires are not to be trusted..

and once again IMHO the 919 should beat those other 2 bikes..

post #3 of 4 Old 12-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Off topic, but I'd love to see a full-size photo of your bike. Do you have any to share?

post #4 of 4 Old 12-07-2008, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Hola Como Estas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
before you get too crazy with the lean angles make sure that if it has bridgestone b56 tires on it to change them to anything else... IMHO.. those tires are not to be trusted..

and once again IMHO the 919 should beat those other 2 bikes..

Agreed. I currently have Michelin Pilot Road's so I wouldn't push them at all on the track, I was just amazed at how nimble the bike was when we did the Constant Decreasing Radius exercise. I was really able to toss the bike around where some R1's and GSX-R 1000 had difficulty. They were very surprised to hear the bike was 900cc. The 600's did better, but the 3 bikes that stood out during the leaning exercises were all the naked's:

Monster
SV650

One highlight from the course was seeing a 2008 Ducati 1098, beautiful bike in person. I thought the youngest/cockiest guy in the class owned the bike but was surprised to find out that a 40 year old Colonel was the proud owner of the bike... guess you can never judge a bike by his owner.

Jeffcycles: Pics are posted here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode