Wiring twin headlights without mess - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 10-29-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Wiring twin headlights without mess

Hi guys, I have just bought some Dominator twin headlights for my 919 and am going to mount them without a screen.
When I opened up the standard headlight casing I was horrified at the amount of wiring hidden in their.
How have you guys hidden the wiring when mounting twin headlights.
The housing also protects the connectors from the weather. I'm thinking I may need to solder all these wires together and bypass the plastic connectors.
Your thoghts and experiences much appreciated.
Tpirman (1st listing on 919 pictures thread) looks neat and tidy.
Thanks
Darren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I haven't done the twinheadlight bit, but I have put the 599 setup on my 919. It's a tight fit, and I've never gotten it right. After cleaning up the mess the previous owner made in the tail end (they chopped the connectors.) Comparing my 02 and 04, the 04 looks much cleaner with its harness wrapped in heat shrink.

I am considering doing the same treatment on the front.

Good luck on your mission

post #3 of 12 Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

919.org

Here ya go:

http://www.919.org/duallights/

And don't forget....the search feature works pretty good too. Oh, and here's some other alternatives for other types of dual headlights:

http://www.aztec8.com/id76.html

Pics: https://www.wristtwisters.com/album.php?albumid=176

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
2004 Honda 919 Silver and Black w/red accents
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Buell M2 shield - plasti dip black
Givi Crash bars
Dynojet PCIII, Custom Akrapovic map
Akrapovic GSXR 750 Exhaust, Shorty Carbon fiber Low mount
Custom weld job on OEM header, to enable use of center stand and GSXR exhaust
VFR front fender, re-shaped and CF wrapped
Seargent seat w/ gel insert
Custom LED Rear lights w/ Vizi-tech flasher
Competition Works Fender Eliminator, modified
Front 3-way LED Turn Signals flushmount via cbr1000r
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Michelin Pilot Road 3 - New @ 19940 8/10/11 190/55r17 rear
Dyna Beads for tire balancing
17t / 44t Sprockets, 520 conversion from LDH
New All-balls bearings thru-out 6/2012
Piaa horns 400 & 500 hertz
Ohlins rear shock from an F3, Re-Valved/Sprung- By Pro Pilot Suspension
F4i Forks, custom sprung/sealed/valved, Plasti-dipped Black
ASV shorty clutch and front brake levers - Black W/Red Adj.
Tech-Spec custom tank Pads
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Custom Handle Bars with Grip Heaters and OEM hidden switch, Hi/Lo heat
FuzeBlocks FZ-1 Power Distribution
Shorai Battery
F2P garage door opener wired to brake switch
Hydraulic rear brake switch
RC51 front brakes SP1, with 10 button rotors
Buell Ulysses Dropped Foot Peg conversion
Powdercoated: 22+ parts
etc, etc,
post #4 of 12 Old 10-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Wiring twin headlights are the least of your problems. You will be reaching the limit of the 10amp headlight fuse with (2) 55watt low beams. With (2) 60watt high beams you will be at 10 amps = possible blown fuse. Do not attempt to use a 15 or 20 amp fuse.
example with two 60 watt high beams: Amps(10) = Watts(120)/Volts(12)

Read this thread, pay particular attention to Rob's posts.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-29-2008, 03:36 PM
NAKED & IN LUV

i have been using my dominator lights for about 6 weeks and so far no blown fuses and they look **** hot.

post #6 of 12 Old 10-29-2008, 07:29 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Yeah, I bailed on my dominators that were already installed on my bike because of the wiring issue. Went back to stock. I even picked up a black piece of PVC pipe and cut it so that it snapped onto the metal turn signal mounts and then stuffed the excess wiring inside. Looked OK and worked well but never really liked it. Oh well.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #7 of 12 Old 10-30-2008, 03:47 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLENN View Post
i have been using my dominator lights for about 6 weeks and so far no blown fuses and they look **** hot.
Ditto. I ran Dominator's for a year and never had a problem.

As for how to neatly hide the wiring, I pulled some of the slack back under the tank and hid the rest behind some neatly fashioned plastic.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-30-2008, 10:59 PM
'evening Bruce

Looks good Ken. Bit of a noob question here, but how have you found the twin lights for riding at night? As I work nightshift at times I don't really want to compromise visibility after dark. Is it simple case of stronger bulbs or are the twin lights from the Dominator more than adequate?

post #9 of 12 Old 10-31-2008, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Wiring solution

Thanks guys for the links and info. Here's what Ive come up with.
1. Im going to follow Robs advice and power both headlights through a relay and separate fuse. This will reduce the load on the headlight cutoff switch.
2. I'll be running double the draw on the battery from the headlights so i'll need to avoid stop/starts and ride longer at higher revs
3. My plan for the excessive wiring is to cut, shorten, solder and heat shrink. im going to remove all the plastic connectors (about 8) and solder all the wires (about 40). My thinking on this is that it will be completely waterproof now that the wiring is out of the headlight housing, and at the same time I can shorten it to minimal length. If I later put the original headlight back on, I'll just plug it in and not worry about the loops of excess wiring in the headlight surround.
Hope this all makes sense and will work out best. Not quite the simple task as I first thought, but hey, sounds like a couple of enjoyable hours work.

PS Nice Looking bike Ken. Very similar to mine, though mines orange 2007. Twin headlights look awesome.
Darren

post #10 of 12 Old 10-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by port9er View Post
3. My plan for the excessive wiring is to cut, shorten, solder and heat shrink. im going to remove all the plastic connectors (about 8) and solder all the wires (about 40). My thinking on this is that it will be completely waterproof now that the wiring is out of the headlight housing, and at the same time I can shorten it to minimal length. If I later put the original headlight back on, I'll just plug it in and not worry about the loops of excess wiring in the headlight surround.
Hope this all makes sense and will work out best. Not quite the simple task as I first thought, but hey, sounds like a couple of enjoyable hours work.
An interesting plan, but I would strongly recommend against hard wiring everything -- electrical troubleshooting becomes a major pain as does any required component replacement or service. The main harness wiring can be shortened by cutting the jacket back to the desired length, opening up about 12" of the harness jacket over the engine, pulling the individual wires back to the desired length, and folding them where the harness does not flex. You can avoid excessive bulk by staggering the folds so they don't interfere with one another, then taping it back up. Packaging the original connectors is comparatively simple with a little creativity, such as using a length of PVC pipe with holes drilled for insertion of the connectors (make sure the holes face downward to allow moisture to drain), and sealed on the ends with caps held with silicone rather than PVC cement to facilitate (dis)assembly and access. The connectors can be waterproofed with generous amounts of dielectric grease worked completely through them -- don't worry: this is common automotive practice, and even what looks like way too much grease will not prevent the pins from making good connections.

A quick commentary on the Dominator headlights: while I haven't ridden a bike equipped with them I have seen them on Mike's (sugs) bike on one of my group rides, and while every bike with the original headlight was easy to pick out in my mirrors, his were very difficult to see and seemed to be inefficient in directing the light. I would like to hear from users as to their use at night compared to the original.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #11 of 12 Old 10-31-2008, 11:36 AM
DaveCB919F4

I agree hole heartedly, hard wiring makes later repairs a pain. Almost all that wiring can go under the tank. Extending the wires for the controls so they will reach is a better deal.

post #12 of 12 Old 11-02-2008, 02:25 PM
NAKED & IN LUV

origanal light seems to be better

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode