Windscreen for 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Sheepdog

Windscreen for 919

I just put on a Slipstreamer SS-28 on my 919, and I love it! Now, keep in mind that I use my 9'er mostly for commuting a half hour one way to work and back each day, and that I'm kind of an old fart, so I prefer a larger windscreen. I was asked via a PM to show some pics of it, and I thought maybe there might be others that would like to see it as well, so here it is! I actually originally bought this one to go on a 1970 CB450 DOHC that I restored, but I hadn't taken it out of the box when I had my heart attack. After I bought the 919 and discovered that I probably wasnt' going to get the Honda windscreen that was promised by the dealer when I bought it, I held this one up to her and decided it would look better on the 9'er than on the 450. When I checked the website for the mounting kit to fit, it turned out to be the same as the one for the 450, so I took that as a sign that it must be what I was supposed to do. The bike is stable with this windscreen up to an indicated 130mph (and I have the 17 tooth front sprocket, so I think the speedo is showing fairly true.) Keeps the wind blast completely off of me, and improved my gas mileage by a couple mpg. The only caveat is that you have to watch the speedo more carefully, it makes it very easy to speed and not realize it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2738571831_35e2f00708_b.jpg (683.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 2738571527_346bffd13d_b.jpg (579.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 2738571705_5fd9c8694e_b.jpg (658.0 KB, 90 views)

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 12:09 PM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 5

Dude that's huge... A little big for me but if it works for you good job.

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it."
post #3 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 12:13 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

That's actually not bad looking, large but effective without being totally ugly.

post #4 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

It would be worth keeping as a backup for the times you'd be going on an extended trip, plus its NOT terrible looking.

post #5 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

a bit big for daily use, but at the same time it would work well on a long trip.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #6 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

i want a honda oem 9er screen!!! sorry just had to say that. fordguy that doesn't look bad at all and as long as it works for you, YAY!!!

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #7 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Sheepdog

I Figured you younger guys would think it a little large, but I spent my college riding days becoming one with a 82 CB650 Nighthawk sporting a Vetter Rooster fairing (pretty similar in protection to the above windscreen) I put at least 60,000 miles on that rig (probabably 10,000 of which was the same twisty road down and bake to the lake in Manhattan, KS,) and I guess I just got used to the larger windscreen (its a lot more modest than the one on my 76 CB750F, it has a Windjammer!) Actually, the reason I bought the 919 is that it is the only new bike I found that had the same basic riding position that my old Nighthawk had, and I felt at home on it the instant I sat in the saddle. It's just faster, quicker, lighter (way lighter!) handles better, and stops better.

By the way, I read back over my post, and it might seem that I inferred there was instability above 130mph. That's just how far I've tested it, and it felt extremely stable at that speed, and was still accelerating in 6th gear. I just don't have a good enough place to test above that speed, and I went to jail for going too fast on my Nighthawk back in '87and don't intend to repeat the experience.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
post #8 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfordguy View Post
(snip), it makes it very easy to speed and not realize it!
It's the windscreen. Yea, yea, that's it!

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 03:04 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I well remember those Vetter and Windjammer fairings, weren't exactly sleek but worked. I debated putting one on my '78 GS750E but didn't have the money at the time.

post #10 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 05:07 PM

At my height (6'7") that windscreen would probably be just the ticket for me. I'm impressed that it looks as good as it does but its just a little too big for me.

Glad it works for you oldfordguy!

post #11 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Discen

That looks like a nice option for longer trips. What kind of mounting kit/hardware was included with yours?

I have the OEM flyscreen and am curious how easy and quick a swap would be were I to have both to use as needed.

2006 Honda 919
post #12 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

windscreen

My Givi hits me just above the chin of my helmet. I would prefer the bounce would be above the visor. Best above the visor if caught in rain. I may just look into this one. Thanks!

post #13 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Sheepdog

It has 2 handlebar clamps with 'L" shaped rods on top, and 2 fork clamps with "L" shaped rods on the bottom. After you put it on and took it off a few times, I figure you could put it on in about 10-15 minutes

post #14 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfordguy View Post
It has 2 handlebar clamps with 'L" shaped rods on top, and 2 fork clamps with "L" shaped rods on the bottom. After you put it on and took it off a few times, I figure you could put it on in about 10-15 minutes
That's good. sounds like I could leave the OEM brackets in place and just remove the screen. Not a bad deal for around $120. I'll have to think about this one. Thanks for the post!

2006 Honda 919
post #15 of 17 Old 08-07-2008, 06:22 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

I like your screen too, not bad at all. I have an F-16 from National Cycle and while it does exactly what I expected from it, I have a question for you about your larger screen, Does it squelch the buffeting you get from riding up on 18 wheelers? Whenever I ride down to Charleston on I-26, I pass many big trucks and while I'm approaching them I always dislike being in their wake up to about midway passed them. I have always felt that I must look like a minionette puppet shaking and shimmering to other motorist as I pass them by and have been wondering if a screen such as yours reduces that effect. My little screen cut back this effect quite a bit from when before I had one. Charleston is a major port city on the East coast and so we have many, what seems like millions, of trucks going both east and west so I do encounter this often and my only cure so far is to burn past them so that it last only a milisecond. I would like to make that a nanosecond but like you said, jail ain't my cup of tea. The 919 makes it very easy to break the speed limits, as we all know.
What say have you reguarding this effect?

post #16 of 17 Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Sheepdog

It seems like the buffeting is greatly reduced with this windsheild to me as well. I think since the choppy air is no longer hitting your arms at all, it reduces the bike "shaking it's head."

post #17 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 AM

I have a 30 min commute everyday one way and while I don't mind the "naked" experience in warm weather I know that once the cold fronts start to hit I'm going to need something to block the wind. I'm torn between the slipstreamer ss-10 viper at about 17" ht and the national cycle F-15 at about the same height. I like the F-15 looks better. Does anyone have one on their 9er? Looking for feedback.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode