Will this motorcycle jack work for a 919? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 10-29-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Will this motorcycle jack work for a 919?

Hi everyone. This is a probably a question for my Canadian friends mostly but any help would be appreciated.

I have a motorcycle jack/lift purchased from Canadian tire that worked with my former bikes (cruiser, dual sport) but now I have a 2003 919 and am nervous to use it because the exhaust pipes running along the bottom seem to be the only place I can lift it up from.

So the question is- can I jack it up from there or are the pipes definitely NOT load bearing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-29-2010, 04:25 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilkleg View Post
Hi everyone. This is a probably a question for my Canadian friends mostly but any help would be appreciated.

I have a motorcycle jack/lift purchased from Canadian tire that worked with my former bikes (cruiser, dual sport) but now I have a 2003 919 and am nervous to use it because the exhaust pipes running along the bottom seem to be the only place I can lift it up from.

So the question is- can I jack it up from there or are the pipes definitely NOT load bearing?

The pipes are not load bearing.
Not only are the pipes themselves not load bearing, neither is the bracketry, see the metal forming that goes up above the collector to hang the header from the frame. That bracket alone is enough to nix it, let alone the pipes themselves. You might be able to make a wooden cradle to sit on top of the hoist. The right side would be an easy do, rests points under the clutch and under the aluminum side plates that tie in the engine/frame/swingarm and provide the attachment points for the footpeg assemblies. The left side is more complicated, have not looked at it closely. Race stands are a better way to go.

post #3 of 8 Old 10-29-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

That's pretty much what I figured...
Thanks for the advice!

post #4 of 8 Old 10-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Le So Cal Troll

the only time i used my pipes to lift the bike was to get my front tire off.... i had jack stands under the pegs or slightly forward, so that there was maybe all of 20 lbs on the actual pipes when i put the jack under the front.... but other than that i would never lift the bike solely via the pipes.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Tesserarius

I have the same jack and have made different adapters to fit bikes where the exhaust was in the way. I just got my project 919 the other day and will be making an adapter soon. Ill post a pic once I get it made.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-07-2010, 02:50 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I have lifted my bike with a similar jack under the header with no issues. Usually use my Phobman stand or a wheel stand though, but it can be done.

post #7 of 8 Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

post #8 of 8 Old 11-07-2010, 04:22 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I have lifted my bike with a similar jack under the header with no issues. Usually use my Phobman stand or a wheel stand though, but it can be done.
x2. Put her on the rear wheel stand and lift away. Did it way too many times on my 919 with no issues. There isn't that much weight to do any damage if you think about it. If you have center stand, even better - less force will be required to lift her by the headers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode