Wierd Tire Wear on my 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 04-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Dark8

Wierd Tire Wear on my 919

I have Dunlop 208s on the bike and the front is either worn out or almost new depending on which side of the tread's groove you are looking at. The inner side of the groves treads looks to be at almost new depth but the outer side of the groove is down to the wear bars. The wear is the same on both sides of the tire and the tire has less then 3000 miles on it. No track days or any aggressive () riding.

Could this be from under inflation? I keep the front inflated to 36 psi cold, which is what the manual says is right for the bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Rember 36 is the Psi for 2 up riding etc. I just can't create a mental picture your description, but it really comes close to something I've heard in the past. It's called cupping, and you wind up wearing the tire on one side from the camber of the road. You say it's both though.

post #3 of 12 Old 04-17-2006, 02:42 PM

I'm not sure what you are describing, but it sounds like scalloping if it is symmetric on both sides of the front tire only. That can just happen street riding because you may not be countersteering. It generally happens to larger bikes and to softer tires. Try a different tread pattern. I have Metzeler's and it hasn't happened to me. Not sure if this helps.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Dark8

Sorry my drawing skills aren't better but if you took a cross section of the tire the tread grove would look something like what I've attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tread.JPG (1.7 KB, 82 views)

post #5 of 12 Old 04-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Sounds to me like "cupping." I had the same problem with the 208's on another bike. Everything was correct including the tire pressure and a balanced front wheel. Changed over to Metzeler MEZ1's, I wore out 2 sets without any evidence of cupping.

post #6 of 12 Old 04-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Dark8

I have a set of Pilot Powers to put on this weekend. Just wanted to know if the cupping(?) could have been caused by wrong tire pressure, etc., so not to ruin my new set of tires. Thanks to all.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda Addict

That drawing is definitely cupping, Dark8. I had it bad with the original front Pilot Sport. It was so bad that it caused a wobble from 60mph on down. I ran that tire at 34 lbs most of the time but I think what got it was hard braking combined with a poor tread design. Now I have the Pilot Powers, 1500 miles on them and no worries.

The PP's are da bomb!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-18-2006, 12:25 AM

freind with a zx6r has the same issue... dunlop also... really bad too...

bridgestone front and rear... bt014 front 020 rear... really happy.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-18-2006, 12:11 PM
tomvan72

I have the same tires on my 919. I have noticed some wear similar to what you descibe and I just figured that it was because I was hauling ass and putting a beat down on the tires. I do find it funny that the front shows as much wear as it does. It is a newer tire than the rear. I dont tend to brake at full lean either. My riding buddies have the Pilot powers and they love them. Might be about that time.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-18-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbike
...but I think what got it was hard braking combined with a poor tread design.
Bingo!

Dunlops + hard braking = cupping.

post #11 of 12 Old 04-20-2006, 09:48 AM
tomvan72

so I went home and had a closer look at my front tire. It seems to be wearing normal. i ave seen a tire that was cupping and mine is not. i dont brake too far into turns so I don't know if that affects it or not. I would make since if I did. I try to go slow to fast.

post #12 of 12 Old 04-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Dark8

I am hard on my brakes so that would explain the cupping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode