Wierd 919 problem - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 11-08-2014, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
The Instigator

Wierd 919 problem

Once in a while, after I start the bike I swear I'll hear the fuel pump priming again, that noise when you turn on the ignition. Thoughts?

Runs fine, and starts fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

I don't have any idea about the fuel pump thing, but did you say it starts fine? I'm still having bad cold start issues. Did you find the solution? If you'd like, you can PM me as not to derail your thread.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #3 of 9 Old 11-08-2014, 07:20 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Not sure about the priming thing, do they run all the time? My buell pump runs all the time, but will slow down or speed up depending on engine speed

:buell:
post #4 of 9 Old 11-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Pilus Posterior

I'm not sure, but isn't the "priming" sound removing air from the system? If that's the case then maybe it's allowing or drawing air into the system.

Maybe a small crack in a supply hose or a filter that has enough of a clog that it can trap some air.

From the pics it looks like it sits at the bottom of the tank, so if you brake or hit a corner and the fuel is low maybe it's grabbing some air.

post #5 of 9 Old 11-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Aquilifer

The sound is the pump running. It starts when you turn on the key and pressurizes the system and then it stops because there is nothing causing the system to lose pressure. I stopped listening to weird noises on motorcycles ages ago that don't sound like metal on metal contact but I'm pretty sure it starts running again once you start the bike. It's just probably drowned out by the cam noise that the 919 engine makes.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #6 of 9 Old 11-09-2014, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

Hmmm. The noise is the one you hear everytime you turn on the ignition. Unless I'm crazy, I'm hearing that noise again while cranking or just upon it firing up. Everything works like it should, I dunno. I'll just ignore unless it stops doing what it should.

post #7 of 9 Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 AM
Aquilifer

That would make sense... As soon as you crank the engine it is firing off again because fuel is being fed into the injection system.

Do you have stock exhaust or aftermarket? If stock then it's probably not really loud enough to drown out the noise of it running at start-up or standard idle. I had my Hornet about 20 miles, parked it, then bolted on some pipes that were significantly louder so that might also lend to why I never quite heard it. Then again I might just have gotten used to it really fast. Like I said, if the noise doesn't sound catastrophic in nature I just ignore it and move on. On any FI bike you are probably going to hear the pump make some noise. Also, sometimes as they get older they will make a fair amount of noise. I'd just kind of file it away in your brain and consider that if it continues to get louder and the bike starts running strangely it might be the pump, but it might also be fuel pressure regulator is malfunctioning.

Rob C

2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #8 of 9 Old 11-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The prime signal from the ECU is to flush air from the system and build pressure in the fuel rail. There is a check valve in the pump that maintains that pressure for the span of time until the starter button is pressed. As soon as the ECU sees a signal from the crank angle sensor it reactivates the pump and keeps it running as long as the engine is running.

If you can hear the pump whine while the engine is running it may indicate the pump has bearing damage, or you have exceptionally good hearing. If the former it may indicate an imminent failure, and if the latter you probably have nothing to worry about.

One way to test this is to apply battery voltage to the pump and let it run without starting the engine -- if there are incipient problems they will reveal themselves generally with a fluctuating sound from the pump. Usually, once operating pressure is reached the pump sound will not change.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #9 of 9 Old 11-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Aquilifer

And if that description doesn't put you at ease Professor Tharlson will make you some handy dandy ear muffs, just don't mind that they will be made out of coconut shells....

Rob C

2002 DL1000 V-Strom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode