Why wont 900rr front wheel work?? - Wrist Twisters
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By badmoon692008
  • 1 Post By Ditch
  • 1 Post By Tfitz729

post #1 of 14 Old 07-30-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Been trying too do the 900rr header and wheel swap for a while now. Might have finally found them locally at a decent price. I know everyone uses the f3 or vfr front wheel when doing the swap but can some one tell me why the 900rr front wheel wouldn't work? It's only a little wider and and inch smaller. Also might be able to get the forks and triples would switching to them be worth it? Still a rookie when it comes to some of this and sorry if this has already been asked. Also everything will be off a track bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-31-2018, 06:56 AM
The Instigator

It should work but why limit yourself to a 16" wheel?

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #3 of 14 Old 07-31-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
It should work but why limit yourself to a 16" wheel?
Asking cause I might be able to score a set for cheap. What would be the biggest down fall if I did go with the 16?

post #4 of 14 Old 07-31-2018, 08:06 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

lack of tire availability, along with completely changing the geometry and stuff of the front end of the bike
mcromo44 and g00gl3it like this.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #5 of 14 Old 07-31-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
lack of tire availability, along with completely changing the geometry and stuff of the front end of the bike
Okay that's all needed to know then thanks Badmoon. Guess it's back to hunting for a vfr or f3 front wheel.

post #6 of 14 Old 07-31-2018, 08:38 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
Indeed!
Once upon a time 16 fronts were the hot ticket, beginning back in the early 80s if memory serves me correctly.
It ended up being a passing phase, and for more than one good reason.
If I had an oldie with a 16 on it, I'd be wanting to change it to a 17, even if there was still a good selection of good tires available.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-31-2018, 08:14 PM
Pilus Posterior

I've got a 16" bike, Nighthawk 700S. The tires are NOT radial. IDK if they make a radial 16 or if this was just the rim. The 700S handles pretty nice, she likes to dive into turns.

I'd pass because your screwing with the system in an unproven way (unless someone has done this already).

post #8 of 14 Old 08-01-2018, 06:23 AM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
If I had an oldie with a 16 on it, I'd be wanting to change it to a 17, even if there was still a good selection of good tires available.
Why? I would assume a 16" wheel is less rotating mass.

[This space for rent]
post #9 of 14 Old 08-03-2018, 08:02 AM
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Why? I would assume a 16" wheel is less rotating mass.
All I know is my 16" turned like dogshit. Once I mounted a 17" it was a completely different bike
mcromo44 likes this.

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #10 of 14 Old 08-03-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well got the exhaust and rear wheel yesterday. Exhaust is a full hindle with a hindle carbon fiber slip on. Got it all mounted and bolted up last night as well. When I met dude selling everything I got to talking to him about the front wheel. Turns out it's a 17 off an f3 so going to be meeting up with him agin today to get that. All in all I'm sitting at $200 for both wheels and the exhaust. I'll throw up some pics later once I can get some decent pictures of it.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-03-2018, 09:15 AM
Centurion

Garage
Good find !

Is that the headlight from one the newer yamaha's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfitz729 View Post
Well got the exhaust and rear wheel yesterday. Exhaust is a full hindle with a hindle carbon fiber slip on. Got it all mounted and bolted up last night as well. When I met dude selling everything I got to talking to him about the front wheel. Turns out it's a 17 off an f3 so going to be meeting up with him agin today to get that. All in all I'm sitting at $200 for both wheels and the exhaust. I'll throw up some pics later once I can get some decent pictures of it.

post #12 of 14 Old 08-03-2018, 09:27 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Hindle, eh?
As in Lang Hindle.
Nice stuff.

I remember meeting Lang at St. Jovite (Le Circuit Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada) in 1975.
He was on a Yamaha TZ700, as was my friend.
We were pitted beside him.
Lang was a really nice guy, sharp too.
When he transitioned to 4 stroke superbikes he was a pretty good engine guy, had a knack for being able to read piston tops and combustion chambers.

Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

post #13 of 14 Old 08-03-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
Good find !

Is that the headlight from one the newer yamaha's ?

Quote:

No stock headlight just painted the chrome ring black

post #14 of 14 Old 08-03-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Quote:
Hindle, eh?
As in Lang Hindle.
Nice stuff.

I remember meeting Lang at St. Jovite (Le Circuit Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada) in 1975.
He was on a Yamaha TZ700, as was my friend.
We were pitted beside him.
Lang was a really nice guy, sharp too.
When he transitioned to 4 stroke superbikes he was a pretty good engine guy, had a knack for being able to read piston tops and combustion chambers.

Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Well turns out that yeah as in Lang Hindle. Didn't know that used the goo foo and found out and thank you for the knowledge drop there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode