why are my lights on? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

why are my lights on?

I finally completed installing my Rizoma Avio 21 turn signals. I also added the diode to make them running lights as well. Everything works as designed, but my yellow turn signal indicators in the guage cluster remain constantly ON. They do blink when making a turn but never turn off. What could be the cause???

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Feed back through the system.
I am not sure you can stop it.
The running lights are usually done by trickling a low current to the lights. The turn signal light works by feeding off the current going to your two wire turn signal.

So, to have the blinkers on, you will have the dash light on.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfilet300 View Post
I finally completed installing my Rizoma Avio 21 turn signals. I also added the diode to make them running lights as well. Everything works as designed, but my yellow turn signal indicators in the guage cluster remain constantly ON. They do blink when making a turn but never turn off. What could be the cause???
Do the lights themselves stay on?

post #4 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Yes the actual turn signals stay on as running lights. I'm curious about the little round yellow ones with the arrows on them that are next to the ingition.

Your's doesn't matter.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

My answer is regarding the ones you are worried about.
They are wired in with the turn signals.

They come on when the turn signal gets juice.
You have now given the signals juice all the time, so the lights in the dash are on all the time.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #6 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
More information needed. Where exactly did you install the diodes? Did you also install the loading resistors, and if so where in the circuit? Where did you mount the power supplies and how are they connected to the front signals? Do the rear signals light even a little when the driving lights are on? If a hen and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half how many oxtails would it take to reach the moon? Inquiring minds want to know.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Ok Inquiring minds here are the details.
The diode is spliced in right off the turn signal switch (in the bucket, I combined orange and orange/white) I ran solid wire back to under the tank to the battery area where I connected to the load box. I then ran wire back up to the bucket and connected to the two wires of the turn signal.
Rear signals function as normal. No dimming that I can see. I did not install the resistor to adjust the blink rate, and to be honest it does not seem any faster then stock.

Your's doesn't matter.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
A bit of a poser. The only way I can see this happening is if the orange and light blue wires coming out of the 9 pin white instrument connector were cut and the diodes connected there. Everything would still work, but the dash lights would be powered by both the driving light switch and the turn signal switch. Originally, though I didn't specify it, I intended for the diode to be connected at the turn signal wire bullet connectors, or even past them in the new wires to the turn signals in order to keep as much of the original wiring intact as possible. If connections are to be made at the block connectors in the headlight bucket the 6 pin blue bodied connector is the place to do it.

Rob

On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #9 of 12 Old 07-12-2008, 06:49 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

i think what F4iguy is saying is right. if you're not using true dual-purpose signals that are actually built to be running lights and signals (like the fronts, which stay on but get brighter when they flash with the second filament) then you're simply putting constant power to the signal circuit and the blinker just interrupts the power to make it flash.

post #10 of 12 Old 07-12-2008, 07:54 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
If a hen and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half how many oxtails would it take to reach the moon? Inquiring minds want to know.

Rob

Assuming an average oxtail length of 2ft:

582,328,560 at Perigee

652,198,800 at Apogee

I'm still trying to figure out what the chicken has to do with this so I'll have to get back to you when I do.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #11 of 12 Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Fishfilet300, and anyone else interested:
Okay -- I've had a chance to carefully review the wiring diagram and the end result is the only place to install the diodes is at or past the bullet connectors for the turn signals. If they are installed in the wires by the white block connector the symptom you describe will occur. On the other hand if they are installed by the blue block connector the rear turn signals will flash normally, but also stay on with the running lights, along with the dash indicators.

If you want a complete explanation as to why this is so I'd be happy to provide it, but right now I'm tired and have to hit the hay.

Rob

P.S.: Sugs: One, if it's long enough, though I do like your answer. The chickens are just a smokescreen.

------- Rob --------
post #12 of 12 Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Still only one really good oxtail to make the cow jump

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode