Who's ridden the Yamaha triple? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 07-26-2015, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

Who's ridden the Yamaha triple?

How does it compare to the 919's engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-26-2015, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

I can't find the sportrider dyno chart but I do know the 919 torque goes above 60 whereas the triple doesn't get even close. Amazing what Honda did with that engine all those years ago.

post #3 of 30 Old 07-26-2015, 08:45 AM
Tirone

Slightly off topic, but I got to ride a Triumph Street Triple last week. Weight, brakes, chassis, amazing. I wanna say it is down quite a bit of torque compared to 919. Exhaust note is awesome though. Definitely like the power of 919 better.

I have yet to ride the FZ-09. I keep missing demo days.

post #4 of 30 Old 07-26-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

I rode a Street triple too and that thing rips. Incredible handling and I think my next bike will have a triple.

post #5 of 30 Old 07-26-2015, 09:21 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I heard the Yamaha yesterday as it drove by in the opposite direction, and it sounded very nice and healthy with it's triple growl..

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #6 of 30 Old 07-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

A good riding friend has an FZ-09. It's a really fun package, with the caveat that the suspension and twitchy throttle will occasionally work together and try to kill you.

It doesn't feel as it has the TQ of the 919, but it's a fast bike, just not the easiest bike to ride fast.

I couldn't get over how bad the front suspension was. I might get the adventure version in a year or so to supplement my other bikes, but without suspension and a fuel map, the FZ-09 wouldn't be my only bike, period.

But loads of fun, can't beat the price, pretty damn durable if it takes a nap.

post #7 of 30 Old 07-26-2015, 04:59 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

I'll try to get my fz-09 owner son to post here.
post #8 of 30 Old 07-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Josh

Garage
I test rode an FZ-09 and a Street Triple before I bought the 919. I came from a Buell XB9R, and just HAD to have more torque than the Street Triple could offer. The FZ-09 and 919 both have plenty of juice. The FZ-09's motor is way smoother than the 919 motor, but I do think it is more peaky than the 919.

post #9 of 30 Old 07-27-2015, 01:21 PM
just send it.

Garage
I test rode the FZ-09 at a Yamaha Demo day and thought the bike/motor was pretty sweet. Just like the (stock) 919, the motor made a sweet sound when in a certain RPM range... I don't remember what it was since I found the tach a little difficult to read (shaky, small letters, having too much fun to look at my spedo).

It's been a while since I rode a 919, but I would have thought it had more torque... but it could be that the FZ was (or at least felt) quite a bit lighter. If I (or the wife) was in the market for a new street bike, the FZ-09 would be at the top of the list.

[This space for rent]
post #10 of 30 Old 07-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
It's been a while since I rode a 919, but I would have thought it had more torque... but it could be that the FZ was (or at least felt) quite a bit lighter. If I (or the wife) was in the market for a new street bike, the FZ-09 would be at the top of the list.
That's a good comment. The 919 definitely feels heavier than the FZ-09 did. I'm going to try riding my 919 to a Yamaha demo day this weekend, so I can do a direct comparison for you. I still rate that bike very highly.

post #11 of 30 Old 07-27-2015, 01:23 PM
PB

post #12 of 30 Old 07-27-2015, 01:28 PM
Josh

Garage
Wet weight of the FZ-09 is about 415 lbs, 919 is about 100 lbs more. So the Yam will feel quicker, for sure.

post #13 of 30 Old 07-27-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
The Instigator

Im looking at the fj09 which weighs about the same as 919. My eyes see the 9r making damn good usr of that extra 72cc especially for such an old design.

post #14 of 30 Old 07-27-2015, 02:09 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post

But loads of fun, can't beat the price, pretty damn durable if it takes a nap.
Don't know what the factory guys told you but this is not how you create a new bike.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #15 of 30 Old 07-27-2015, 03:42 PM
Left of Centre

post #16 of 30 Old 07-27-2015, 04:13 PM
Le So Cal Troll

hard to beat the good ole 919.

its whats keeping me from selling it.

That stated the FZ-09 i have sat on one and its a Light feeling skinny bike. I have not heard great things about suspension on it though.

post #17 of 30 Old 07-27-2015, 07:26 PM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
I have not heard great things about suspension on it though.
Yeah, but what new bike DOES have good factory suspension... Let alone budget bikes.

post #18 of 30 Old 07-27-2015, 08:15 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Yeah, but what new bike DOES have good factory suspension... Let alone budget bikes.
triumph speed triple or ktm duke 1290. Thats about the only bike id easily replace the 9er for if i had the money.

post #19 of 30 Old 07-28-2015, 01:19 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I'll heartily disagree with the first line of post #16. The 919 was a near miss. Were it not for Fuel Injection, the 919 was 10 years old when it was introduced. Cast iron front fork clamps? Steel handle bar, shifter and brake levers? Hey Honda, there's this new metal out. It's called aluminum. Hell, the kick stand on my Super Duke is aluminum. Why'd they de tune the awesome CBR900 engine? The 919 could have been really special.

The Speed Trip is really heavy feeling. Great engine. Sounds like a farm tractor.

The 675 Street Triple R is a cool little bike. My friend let me ride his a couple of times. Plenty fast; light and narrow. <That's what I'd have, if I was to buy another bike.

The 2014 FZ9 had a cheap suspention, from everything I've read. So like most Jap bikes, by the time you correct all the deficencies, it no longer a bargain. I don't know about the newest ones. Another friend has an FZ9. He says it'll get close to 50 mpg, which is pretty good. The yellow one is sharp. Tempting......

post #20 of 30 Old 07-28-2015, 06:42 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

This is what I saw across the street from my house day before yesterday:

2015 Yamaha FZ-07- First Look Review- Photos- Specifications: Arriving soon: the FZ-09’s little twin, priced at $6990.

It was white and it was an eye catcher.

http://www.cycleworld.com/olgallery/123054/123092/25

End detour........

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #21 of 30 Old 07-28-2015, 07:25 AM
Aquilifer

They are very similar motors. Everyone praises the 09 motor. Why not the 919 motor? Well, most have never ridden one. Yamaha has done a pretty good job with demos and Honda, not so much. Heck, most people wrote the 919 off. "It doesn't have a fairing", "it's 25 horse down on the FZ1". "it's a girl's bike", etc. Heard it all, and it's still my favorite naked that I've owned and I've had a few (SV1000N, FZ1, ZRX1100, Bandit 1200, SV650N).

Look at some of the new naked bikes coming out. The GSX750, Z800, & Hornet 800. It's lighter then all of those, has more torque, & holds more fuel. I think Honda got it right. A 2002 design that's still kicking ass compared to 2015's. The bike works. The FZ09 is unique in the group because of it's lighter weight.

post #22 of 30 Old 07-30-2015, 10:27 AM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I'll heartily disagree with the first line of post #16. The 919 was a near miss. Were it not for Fuel Injection, the 919 was 10 years old when it was introduced. Cast iron front fork clamps? Steel handle bar, shifter and brake levers? Hey Honda, there's this new metal out. It's called aluminum. Hell, the kick stand on my Super Duke is aluminum. Why'd they de tune the awesome CBR900 engine? The 919 could have been really special.

The Speed Trip is really heavy feeling. Great engine. Sounds like a farm tractor.

The 675 Street Triple R is a cool little bike. My friend let me ride his a couple of times. Plenty fast; light and narrow. <That's what I'd have, if I was to buy another bike.

The 2014 FZ9 had a cheap suspention, from everything I've read. So like most Jap bikes, by the time you correct all the deficencies, it no longer a bargain. I don't know about the newest ones. Another friend has an FZ9. He says it'll get close to 50 mpg, which is pretty good. The yellow one is sharp. Tempting......
Couldn't agree more with this post, especially the first paragraph and the last.
The 919 could have been something really special with just a little more thought. It mostly has beautiful lines, only to be spoiled by that hideous front end, even Ducati has USD forks on its GT1000 for petes sakes. And that skinny, flexi thing they call a frame? As you said, it was already old at its time of release.
And I have said it a few times already, so pardon me for saying so again, but as you say, by the time you correct bikes like the 919 and most other Jap bikes, not only money, but time and effort, its the price of a European equivalent that comes out of the factory already sharp.
Actually, the Jap bikes are not cheap anymore and very close in price to European bikes in retail, in NZ and Australia anyway. Pre 2009 you could get just about any Jap bike for under $20K, no longer possible (I am talking higer end of the scale, litre bikes, etc.). 2008/2009 there was a massive price hike with Jap bikes in NZ. They all run about mid $20K's, very close and in some cases the same and even more expensive than some Euro's. Actually, from what I have seen, the Euro's are becoming better priced.
The Europeans already come out highly spec'd and their reliability getting very close to the Japanese, IMO (maybe with brands like BMW, just as reliable).

Don't get me wrong, I like Jap bikes, I just wish the likes of Honda would get rid of what is obviously accountants running the joint and stop relying on the old parts bin as they have done for the past 20 years or so. Yes mate, its time to put down the skinny forks, the generic brakes and suspension, the same ol mirrors and bits and pieces you have been using for the last few decades. Hire some stylists/designers from Italy as well, as the Italians are about the only nationality that can style anything from a handbag, an under and over shotgun to a motorcycle, not just beautifully, but turn it into a work of art. Maybe the Germans as well (BMW, Merc, Audi, etc).

post #23 of 30 Old 08-01-2015, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post

The 919 was built to a price, blame the US market, not Honda. They didn't de-tune the engine either and anyone who's owned a CBR900RR (I had two) would know that. They re-tuned it. The 900RR was a slow-revving slug of an engine that made numbers as low as 113hp with a hole in the midrange as big as Gapolexa's ass (Google her when you're not at work) Truth is, the engine never really shined until they modified it for use in the 919 and if you look at the dyno charts in this thread it still remains one of the most accessable street motors ever made. Give the bike some credit, I'd also argue it's one of the most reliable motorcycles ever built.

Your KTM (I owned an SMT and it was a piece of shit) is an apples to oranges comparison and substantially more expensive pound for pound so watch it crumple like tin foil in a crash. For us cheapskates that just want their bike to start every single time and run like new no matter how you treat it, Honda nailed it with the 919. For you to call it a near miss is laughable.

post #24 of 30 Old 08-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
The 919 was built to a price, blame the US market, not Honda. They didn't de-tune the engine either and anyone who's owned a CBR900RR (I had two) would know that. They re-tuned it. The 900RR was a slow-revving slug of an engine that made numbers as low as 113hp with a hole in the midrange as big as Gapolexa's ass (Google her when you're not at work) Truth is, the engine never really shined until they modified it for use in the 919 and if you look at the dyno charts in this thread it still remains one of the most accessable street motors ever made. Give the bike some credit, I'd also argue it's one of the most reliable motorcycles ever built.

Your KTM (I owned an SMT and it was a piece of shit) is an apples to oranges comparison and substantially more expensive pound for pound so watch it crumple like tin foil in a crash. For us cheapskates that just want their bike to start every single time and run like new no matter how you treat it, Honda nailed it with the 919. For you to call it a near miss is laughable.
I think we're on the same page.........see post #21

post #25 of 30 Old 08-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:

I am going out on a limb, but I am guessing that the 919 (or Hornet everywhere else) was built to compete with other Jap naked's at the time and from what I understand the US market is anything but big on Jap UJM/nakeds.
I was told/heard/read that the 919 was built to compete with the Suzuki SV1000N (not sure you have it in the US).

I think Sniper's comment about the 919 being a near miss, it's because it could have been so much more at arguably little extra cost (if you figure in what stuff ACTUALLY costs at production level).
For a start google sv1000n and look at the frame... (and the SV was a cheap bike).
So how much more, at production level, would it have cost Honda to have given it a better frame, and not the best, but at least semi-decent suspension?
Would it really have cost that much more for USD forks and a reasonable rear shock?

How many bikers are very quick to spend money on all sorts of other crap, like "better" exhausts, because they get 5 hp extra that they aren't going to do anything different or better with, than they have done or can do with the already 100hp that the bike came with stock? I'd say quite a few, if not the majority. So how much does the extra exhaust system cost, plus all the other "bling"? Factor in time and effort and it amounts to quite a bit.The first thing they should spend money on should be suspension. I'd hazard a guess and say very few do.

So I'll gladly have paid the little extra for Honda to have given us a better frame and suspension and have less money left over to buy "bling".

Yes, the motor is excellent, so is the tank size and the styling spot on except the front end, but that is subjective.
I commuted and had weekend fun on one for 5 years and 63 000 km's.
If I had extra cash lying around and could justify the running costs associated with having a vehicle, I'd buy one again as a work horse.

post #26 of 30 Old 08-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
a hole in the midrange as big as Gapolexa's ass
You missed the word hole. Just googled her - man, that's nasty.

2005 Honda CB919F
2003 Honda CBR954RR (sold)
1990's Suzuki TS200 (sold)
1987 Kawasaki Ninja 750R (sold)
1984 Kawasaki GPz 550 (sold)
Dirt Bikes
post #27 of 30 Old 08-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
as big as Gapolexa's ass (Google her when you're not at work)
My wife and are dying from laughter and disgust right now.

post #28 of 30 Old 08-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

She was the inspiration for one of the Minions characters

post #29 of 30 Old 08-02-2015, 07:04 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickr919 View Post
My wife and are dying from laughter and disgust right now.
Sharing is caring.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #30 of 30 Old 08-12-2015, 03:03 AM
Tirone

Yamaha F9 is Super Bike..I luv This Bike..!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode