Which tires? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Which tires?

I think my stock Bridgestone's are about toast. I need some honest recommendations about what tires to replace them with. I am a big guy at 6'1" 275. I have no interest in knee dragging, but I do lean it over. The bike is mostly a commuter, but I like its sportiness. I know I'll never do a track day, so should I get a touring tire, I know I don't need a race type tire, ie. Pilot Race whatever? I want a tire that wont scare the crap out of me if it rains, and I would like to get a lot of miles out of a set. I need some help trying to figure out all of the choices about tires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Metzler Roadtec Z6

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 11:15 AM

i've had good luck with the pirelli DIABLO STRADA
http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...STRADA_HYP.xml

my dad's 919 is currently having some dunlop Roadsmart tires put on
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...ire.asp?id=101

both of these tires won the reviews in BIKE magazine...

the dunlop should last longer than the pirelli as they have dual compounds - although i have 3,000 miles and one trackday on my pirellis and they're just starting to flatten out

post #4 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

What kind of milage are you looking for ? - He asks him knowlingly --

Alot of 919 owners rave about the Shinkos - Im not gonna open that can o worms again. Do a search for Shinkos and I know youll come up with something --

Ive seen and had alot of luck wiht the Pirelli Diablos , but they wear fairly quickly like 2/3k miles. Ive got a set of the Diablo Stradas on my Guzzi and Ive seen folks get like 6k miles with very agressive moutina riding and a trackday thrown in for good measure.
I also like the Michelin Pilot Powers - excellent grip,very responsve to handling input, work well in the rain and they can last a while, as long as you keep a watchful eye on the pressures - Ive seen them with 3/5k miles on them.Dont know alot about the Roads, although Ive yet to see anything negative about them, other than price .

post #5 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

my stockers are down to the wear markers in the rear (5300 miles) and very cupped in the front. I've been looking at the RoadSmarts since most of my riding is commuting.

Dan

post #6 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Metzler Roadtec Z6
+1

post #7 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Discen

Quote:
Metzler Roadtec Z6
+1 again

I commute 50 miles round trip, all interstate and have about 2k miles on my z6's with no flat spot at all or signs of. I road the dragon last week on them and never felt like they lost any bit of grip or felt like they would ever slip. Got caught in a horrible down pour one day on the way home from work and they do wonderful.

The pirelli strada( i think that is the one) is the same tire as the z6, but i have heard people don't get nearly as many miles as the z6.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Metzler Roadtec Z6
I think Pirelli Diablo Strada is roughly the same tire. I have those and love em

post #9 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the suggestions. I know the price is right for Shinkos, I have seen them. The Metzlers are the same as the Pirellis? I'll have to check those out. I'll also check the roadsmarts? Anybody have experience with these?

post #10 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
I also like the Michelin Pilot Powers - excellent grip,very responsve to handling input, work well in the rain and they can last a while, as long as you keep a watchful eye on the pressures - Ive seen them with 3/5k miles on them.

+1 I love Pilot Powers. I'm always going to run those tires. I scrape my pegs down with em, and they do great in any weather. My rear tires last 5k with minimal burnouts.

2 > 4
post #11 of 14 Old 06-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Milites Gregarius

Your riding sounds similar to my style. I have the Michelin Pilot Roads. I have the single compound style. They were very reasonable on price, and I've heard a lot of people get over 10k miles commuting with them. I love the way the feel in the corners, and althought I've never done it, I heard they are great in the rain. For my style there's not really a difference between the Roads and the Powers. The tread pattern looks a little funky to some, but its never bothered me.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-27-2008, 06:44 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I expect some to argue my point, so just take it for what it is worth... My opinion.

People seem to think that high performance tires are better than street tires. Street tires do not stick as well, however I have seen many people drag a knee on street tires at a track day. Traction is related tyo smooth. If you are scared a street tires is going to break from the surface at fast pace... and you concern is legit (i.e. worried about a wreck) the problem is not the tires, it is the rider.

Street tires pull away more rain than track tires or race tires, they last longer, and they are cheaper.

So where do they not seem to be better than a track tire?
Oh... they don't grip well when you are ham fisted and not smooth.
They do not cover up your mistakes when you ride sloppy.
They do not make you sound cool when you are talking to your friends.

Problem with a lot of riders is that that buy what they do not need. The tires make up for a lack of riding ability, but only soo far. A rider gets used to braking poorly and being very rough with the throttle and turn ins... then the rider want to ride his friends bike... He rides his normal crappy way and the bike goes down.... but it is not his fault. He blames the tires and his equally non-informed friends agree.

I will lean a tiger in farther than many people think is necessary on a bike that big. I have cut up with sport bike and kept up, sometimes passed them in tight sections. I did this on H rated dual sport tires. I garantee you that any normal street tire with out perform those.

I have had my RC out with my Race take offs on it... I got into some back road fun with a GSXr 1000 and his buddy followed from a distance. I killed him in every corner. Then after embarrassing him a bit, he pointed at my tires at a stop sign and said that was why... I traded him bikes... It took less than 2 minutes to prove him wrong.

So to get back to my original point... Buy what you want, but have faith that the "cheaper" street tire may in fact be the best choice for you riding.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #13 of 14 Old 06-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

I think Pilot Powers are overkill for commuting--great tires, but a bad budget choice for that use.

I use Metzler z6s on my VFR, and They're great for distances, commuting, in the wet, etc. I've even done a couple of novice trackdays on 'em.

post #14 of 14 Old 06-27-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well I think you guys have talked me into either pilot roads or the z6's. They both sound like they might be right for me. Thanks a lot for the suggestions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode