What's the diff between Two Bros & Yosh cans? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 07:06 AM
hairball919

What's the diff between Two Bros & Yosh cans?

Okay, I'm new to the slip-on scene obviously. However, I did a lot of research on price and application and found only a few slip-on brands that were both affordable and would work on a 919. Went with the Yoshimura TRS stainless. They look and sound sweet!

But here is my question and the reason for asking:

I keep finding Power Commander and Juice Box settings for bikes with Two Brothers slip-ons but can't find any settings anywhere online for the same bike with the same air filter when using Yoshimura slip-ons instead of Two Brothers. How much of a difference is there internally? Does one brand breathe that much better or worse than another? I love my new Yosh TRS muffs but just wish someone could give me different settings for my Juice Box. Heck, Two Brothers can't either! Looks to me like I would have been better off buying Two Brothers cans rather than Yoshimuras!

Are the folks at Two Brothers and the folks at DynoJet all drinking buddies?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 07:24 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I have Yoshi TRS CarbonFiber cans & use the Two Brothers map from the DynoJet site.

My bike hasn't exploded yet or anything

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #3 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Contact Dan Kyle ([email protected] or LDH ([email protected], last e-mail I had of him), I am sure any one of them can hook you up with a good map for your Yoshi's... assuming you do have a Power Commander since I don't believe they believe the Juice Box is nothing more than a fuel nanny and it has no settings but, I could be very wrong of course.

post #4 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 08:15 AM
hairball919

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, RC! I'll contact Dan. I have both the Power Commander and the Juice Box. The Juice Box made more of a difference to my performance than the PC3USB did. As for my PC3, this time I'm going to do the map settings myself rather than have the dealer do it because they can't do anything more than I can do myself (unless, of course, I go to an AUTHORIZED DynoJet Tune-Up Center).

And Omaha, I think you're right. That's pretty much what I figured. There couldn't be much of a difference in muffler internals that would make mapping the PC3 or Juice Box too freakin' complicated. By the way, how did you set your maps: laptop or LCD unit? I have both but wonder which works best.

Thanks, guys!

post #5 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 AM
hairball919

Just sent an e-mail to Dan. Man, there are some awesome bike pics on his site! Unless or until he says differently, for now I'm going to go with Omaha's thoughts and just use the Two Bros maps.

Thanks again. I'll wait to see what others have to say in upcoming posts.

post #6 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 08:36 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Hairball:

I set mine with the use of a laptop.
I don't understand the buttons on the top of the Power Commander.

I also have the old-school serial port PC.
I'm guessing (from looking at the tutorials on the DynoJet site) that the user interface looks & possibly works slightly different than mine.

I have an authorized DynoJet tuning shop about 4 miles from my house, but I just don't care to fork over the money for the custom map.
Geesh, it's practically like buying another set of cans.

So that's why I'm running the 2Bros map with my Yoshis

post #7 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 08:44 AM
hairball919

Thumbs up

I agree, Omaha! Heck, I called a local "authorized DynoJet tuning center" and the price they gave me? Ready for this one?

$150 just to map the bike, and another $400 to put it on the dyno!!

Screw the dyno and the "tuning centers" if they are going to rip us off. I just talked to a Y*m*h* (bad word to a Honda owner, sorry) dealer and their service guy said he took a training seminar put on by DynoJet, but still he wants $90-150 to set the maps!

I'm going to hook up the LCD unit and try it, but first I think I'll try the laptop idea. Just don't like the idea of having my $900 laptop out in the garage but I'm sure I'll survice!

Thanks again for the opinions and feedback.

post #8 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 09:32 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Dan just forwarded me your email & wants me to handle your questions.

First off check out this article I wrote on exhaust brands & the dynamics of building an exhaust. It's oriented towards the RC51, but the overall information rings true across the board

http://www.rc51.org/exhaust.htm

Second I'm not entirely sure I understand your set-up. Are you running both the Juicebox & a PCIII USB?

post #9 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 AM
hairball919

Thumbs up

Hey, Lord...

First off, "sort of" on the JB & PC. I had the PC3 installed but noticed only that it ran worse than before, so I took it out. Then I put in the Juice Box. Noticed an immediate difference. BUT, everyone keeps telling me to put the Power Commander back in and just map it better. The biggest problem with the Juice Box is that I think it's so new that not enough people have tried it or have experience with it. In fact, most dealers I've talk to have never even seen one, and very few sell it. Once they realize it works, more people with have them and know all the tricks.

But as for the PC3, I'm going to put it back in most likely only because so many friends/shops/forum users keep telling me to. TwoBros claim the Juice Box has no affect on the any maps and they even say it gets along well with the Power Commander. But I keep reading so many conflicting things about the Power Commander in this forum that I'm getting confused. So many say to use one, others say that NOTHING can change the maps other than outside temp and altitude. Comment?

I'll check out your link. Thanks. I certainly appreciate any advice or help. I know I might sound like an idiot here, but I've only owned this bike since November so it's still all new to me. But hey, ask me about car audio and I won't look so brain dead.

post #10 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 AM
hairball919

Just saved and printed your article. Pretty cool. Thanks!

post #11 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

To the best of my knowledge the JuiceBox only allows you to add fuel making the mixture richer (if I am wrong on this then please let me know). Going richer is beneficial in some areas of the rev range, but many times the bike also needs to be leaned out. Most Japanese bikes already come from the factory way too rich...

A properly mapped Powercommander is pretty hard to beat when it comes to overall hp gains & more importantly improved throttle response & drivability especially the PCIII USB which has a pretty fine resolution table.

post #12 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
To the best of my knowledge the JuiceBox only allows you to add fuel making the mixture richer (if I am wrong on this then please let me know). Going richer is beneficial in some areas of the rev range, but many times the bike also needs to be leaned out. Most Japanese bikes already come from the factory way too rich...

A properly mapped Powercommander is pretty hard to beat when it comes to overall hp gains & more importantly improved throttle response & drivability especially the PCIII USB which has a pretty fine resolution table.
mike... have you ever done any experimenting with ram air on a 919... cause me and tk919 have been... and he came up with a sweet setup... i have a halfa$$3d but functional one on my bike... his is super nice...

post #13 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 11:42 AM
hairball919

Thumbs up

You're pretty much correct on the Juice Box. Here is what they say on their site:

• Allows addition of fuel required with engine modifications without upsetting stock fuel map.

• Integrated buttons provide easy adjustment and fine-tuning of fuel delivery curve without external programming devices.

• LED lights indicate fuel delivery settings
while tuning.

• Won’t interfere with bike’s stock sensors
and inputs.

• Increases horsepower.

• Improves throttle response.

• Installs in minutes.

• New third generation technology.

• No computer needed to adjust your JUICE BOX™.

• Plug-in technology
(Doesn’t interfere with stock ECU map).

• Integrated buttons provide easy adjustment.

But if I'm understand the programming instructions correctly, you can add more fuel or less fuel.

I know you're right though. The PC is the way to go. And speaking of going, it just got sunny out so I'm going riding!

I'll check back with you when I get back home. I do appreciate all your advice. You truly know your stuff. And that's the sole reason I'm in this forum: to learn from the veterans/pros.

Thanks again.

post #14 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 11:48 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Forgive me for sounding like an idiot, but what is this "JuiceBox" you guys speak of?

I did a Google search but didn't find anything useful. Can someone post a link?
Kinda weird, I just started seeing mention of it this week in a couple different threads.

post #15 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Yoshis are a better quality pipe in my opinion. Using the Two Bros map shouldn't hurt anything.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #16 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_919 View Post
Forgive me for sounding like an idiot, but what is this "JuiceBox" you guys speak of?

I did a Google search but didn't find anything useful. Can someone post a link?
Kinda weird, I just started seeing mention of it this week in a couple different threads.
two brothers juice box...

not to be confused with

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Juice_Box_onbike_4_web.jpg (49.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg juicebox.jpg (183.7 KB, 3 views)
post #17 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Thanks Brian, the Juicy Juice is more of what I had pictured but I knew is wasn't right.
Didn't realize it was 2Bros specific... that explains why it's not on the DynoJet site
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JuicyJuice_Box_onbike.jpg (31.2 KB, 170 views)

post #18 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 01:07 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
mike... have you ever done any experimenting with ram air on a 919... cause me and tk919 have been... and he came up with a sweet setup... i have a halfa$$3d but functional one on my bike... his is super nice...
The entire premise of ram-air design is to improve hp at high speeds with forced induction.

The entire design philosophy surrounding the 919 is about mid-range performance completely forsaking peak hp via tiny throttle bodies, short intake tracts and cam phasing specifically engineered for mid-range performance creating a very long torque curve.

It is completely counter-intuitive to try to take a 919 motor and search for peak hp when a bone stock 600cc supersport bike will still put down more at the rear wheel not to mention outhandle the 919 in every aspect except comfort...

The 919 is built for fun. It takes a modicum of performance & mixes it with a lot of smiles and throws in some nice ergonomics with a generous dose of stability. The end result is a great streetbike that allows you to personalize it with a long list of aesthetic mods. Trying to alter the performance aspect of it only narrows the focus and adds up to a bike that is less than the sum of its parts.

http://www.919.org/919.htm

post #19 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
The entire premise of ram-air design is to improve hp at high speeds with forced induction.

The entire design philosophy surrounding the 919 is about mid-range performance completely forsaking peak hp via tiny throttle bodies, short intake tracts and cam phasing specifically engineered for mid-range performance creating a very long torque curve.

right.. and we are attempting to keep the lower and middle and add a bit of top...

everyone spends so much time saying that this bike is the epitome of mediocrity and what a waste of time and energy it is to try and squeeze more juice out of it...

i wonder if we put half the effort everyone puts into crapping on this bike into trying to achieve the goal of maybe say...mmm.. 10 more horses on top... if that goal could be reached..

i see guys all the time taking little cars made to be economical people movers and they tune them and squeeze a few more horses and make them handle a bit... and boom ... little sportscars... we know 90% will never outrun the Porsche sitting next to it at the red light...

i am not trying to build a busa killer... simply trying to find a touch more umphh on the top end...

thanks for the help..

post #20 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 01:31 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
right.. and we are attempting to keep the lower and middle and add a bit of top...

everyone spends so much time saying that this bike is the epitome of mediocrity and what a waste of time and energy it is to try and squeeze more juice out of it...

i wonder if we put half the effort everyone puts into crapping on this bike into trying to achieve the goal of maybe say...mmm.. 10 more horses on top... if that goal could be reached..

i see guys all the time taking little cars made to be economical people movers and they tune them and squeeze a few more horses and make them handle a bit... and boom ... little sportscars... we know 90% will never outrun the Porsche sitting next to it at the red light...

i am not trying to build a busa killer... simply trying to find a touch more umphh on the top end...

thanks for the help..
Well first off I got almost 10hp over stock just by installing the Sato exhaust and a proper PCIII map.

Second some of us have been in this industry long enough to know what really warrants effort & what doesn't when it comes to extracting usable performance out of a motorcycle engine.

Third you want a little bit more top end buy a GSXR1000

Lastly enjoy the 919 for what it is and people will stop crapping on your bike... It's really that simple I mean face it when the owners are constantly trying to upgrade the motor or the chassis or the swingarm and find ways to make the bike do things it was never designed to do then you bring the ridicule on yourself as everyone can see the shortcomings of the bike in broad daylight. Be happy with the bike the way it is & you'll provoke envy instead of laughter.

post #21 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 02:13 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Well first off I got almost 10hp over stock just by installing the Sato exhaust and a proper PCIII map.
did not know that...

Quote:
Second some of us have been in this industry long enough to know what really warrants effort & what doesn't when it comes to extracting usable performance out of a motorcycle engine.

Third you want a little bit more top end buy a GSXR1000
i have worked selling motorcycles for the last few years and i had my choice of the entire motorcycle world.. i made a intelligent decision..

Quote:
Lastly enjoy the 919 for what it is and people will stop crapping on your bike... It's really that simple I mean face it when the owners are constantly trying to upgrade the motor or the chassis or the swingarm and find ways to make the bike do things it was never designed to do then you bring the ridicule on yourself as everyone can see the shortcomings of the bike in broad daylight. Be happy with the bike the way it is & you'll provoke envy instead of laughter.

reread what i wrote in my post....

and i don't think anyone has ever laughed at my bike in person expecially when i was standing next to it... i usually am asked what it is... followed shortly by the words "nice bike"...

and for the record whether someone else thinks i should do something makes not a hill of beans to me...

i am not doing what i am doing for your or anyone else's approval... i am doing it because i want to.. its my bike... and i like the old school hotrodding approach to things...

post #22 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 02:37 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
its my bike... and i like the old school hotrodding approach to things...
Fair enough and I support your right to do anything you want with your bike, but old school hotrodding doesn't work with cutting edge computer designed airboxes that work on tuned resonance...

post #23 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 03:10 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I don't think it matters how much air you try to force the 919 engine to draw in (above and beyond what the stock airbox was designed to do), the throttle bodies, cams and ignition are hard mechanical and electrical limiters that won't allow the engine to really do anything with that air on the hi-end of the RPM range. Even with a well maped PCIII, the 919 is still limited (as far as peak HP is concerned) by the throttle bodies and cams.

Professional
post #24 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 03:19 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
I don't think it matters how much air you try to force the 919 engine to draw in (above and beyond what the stock airbox was designed to do), the throttle bodies, cams and ignition are hard mechanical and electrical limiters that won't allow the engine to really do anything with that air on the hi-end of the RPM range. Even with a well maped PCIII, the 919 is still limited (as far as peak HP is concerned) by the throttle bodies and cams.
ahhhhh... that is being remedied good sir....(for cheep!!)

post #25 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

If you would just move to a state that isn't flat and has nothing but straight roads Brian, you wouldn't be so obsessed with peak HP. The absolute best thing about the 919 is it's extremely wide torque curve. Thats why all of us 919 owners who live by good twisties love this bike so much.

Professional
post #26 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 03:32 PM
hairball919

Two things on this post:

First, I just reinstalled my PC3USB. What's the freakin' 9V battery plug for? Should I use it? The dealer didn't have it in so I'm not sure.

Second, do you pro's think it would be better to map the unit using the LCD Unit or the trusty laptop? I don't know where the LCD unit will fit but I'm sure it will.

Barton664, I have a question specifically for YOU that I'll PM you. Getting ready to map this bad boy and need your advice.

Lastly (okay, sorry, I said two things and this makes three): PC3USB for 919 link:

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...mdl=41&yr=2007

post #27 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
Two things on this post:

First, I just reinstalled my PC3USB. What's the freakin' 9V battery plug for? Should I use it? The dealer didn't have it in so I'm not sure.

Second, do you pro's think it would be better to map the unit using the LCD Unit or the trusty laptop? I don't know where the LCD unit will fit but I'm sure it will.

Barton664, I have a question specifically for YOU that I'll PM you. Getting ready to map this bad boy and need your advice.

Lastly (okay, sorry, I said two things and this makes three): PC3USB for 919 link:

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...mdl=41&yr=2007

The 9V battery is so you can power the unit up & map it without it being installed on the bike...

What did you pay for the PCIII if you don't mind me asking?

PS Don't buy the EX version of the Powercommander... It's totally neutered

post #28 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
hairball919

Thumbs up

Thanks, barton, for walking me through the mapping process! You rock!

And thanks Duckhunter for telling me what the 9V plug was for. I thought it was so you could listen to baseball games on your AM radio while you were riding!

I paid $269 for my PC3 from SoloMotoParts. And I found out before I ordered it, by asking SoloMotoParts, that the EX is made specifically for California models.

So, it's still sunny and only 3:19 here so I gotta run test my new maps! Yee-Ha!

I do thank all of you who have been so much help. Sure, I've ruffled a few feathers but I'm basically a serious guy who is just learning this 919 stuff. My last few bikes were a 91 Nighthawk750, an 82 GS750, a 79 KZ650 and a 76 KZ900. This fuel-injected rocketship that weighs less than some gals who hit on me is all new to me! Scarey fast, but everyone says "DUDE, get one of those Power Commander thingys!", so I did.

post #29 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 10:04 PM
hairball919

Thumbs up HUUUGE difference!!!

I knew my PC3 wasn't mapped right the first time, but this is freakin' awesome!

After Brian walked me through a few simple step on how to map the bike, I went for a test ride and about soiled my undergarments when I snapped the throttle in 1st gear! It tried to spin the tire a few times! I know it's been known to come off the ground if you give it too much gas in 1st but now it wants to deploy like a missle. Huge difference! I still haven't messed with the Juice Box settings but now I don't think I need to. It's like a whole new bike just having the PC mapped correctly! The exhaust helps. Oh, I went and ordered my new K&N (they were out of stock) so I'll get to remap it again in a few days.

Thanks to all of you who helped me figure this mapping stuff out! And to those of you who talked me into reinstalling the Power Commander. This is about as much power as I'll ever want or need. I'm not saying it wasn't powerful from the showroom, but it was a bit gutless off idle through intersections.

post #30 of 61 Old 02-26-2009, 10:15 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

so it worked??

and gimme a call tomorrow bout those cams..

post #31 of 61 Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 AM
hairball919

004 map question, cam comment

Yep! Worked great. Last night I was a little curious and was checking out that program (now that I know how to look at maps) and when I click on a map it shows in the lower box which map it is (as you all well know). I noticed 004 is for stock air filter and Two Brothers dual slip-ons, and the one "we" (Brian and I) used, oo3, is for Erion dual slip-ons and stock air filter. I clicked on both and was looking at all the jumble of numbers and do notice differences (not sure what they hell they mean but I see them). Which leads me to this question: Do you folks think I should experiment with the 004 map for TwoBros or just leave it at 003? Now that Professor Brian has schooled me in the are of mapping, I can quickly change it back and forth. But should I? Also, I noticed that NONE of the maps are for an aftermarket air filter! What the heck is THAT all about? Do they think everyone changes their exhaust but leaves the stock air filter? I just ordered my K&N so I need to find a new map.

BRIAN: I'll call you about the cams or you can call Delta directly:
1-800-562-5500
Just ask for Jon or Scott (co-owners). Jon grew up there, grinding cams for his dad while he was in high school. Scott has worked there for years and in every position so he knows his sh#t. Jon actually straightens cores and grinds and stuff most of the day while Scott runs the counter and does most of the shipping. They are about the most awesome bunch of guys I've ever worked for (Jon was a good friend long before I started there).

See what Delta can do for you. Tell them Shawn suggested you call. If you have any questions, you have my number (that was my home number I gave you).

Thanks again, family!

post #32 of 61 Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
Also, I noticed that NONE of the maps are for an aftermarket air filter! What the heck is THAT all about? Do they think everyone changes their exhaust but leaves the stock air filter? I just ordered my K&N so I need to find a new map.

Well if you would read some of the other threads that are on the board right now you would know that K&N filters actually hurt the performance of the bikes in many cases

Here is the current thread about it Please be sure to read the whole thing
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16985

Here is an article I wrote on aftermarket airfilters
http://www.rc51.org/airfilt.htm

& here is another article I co-authored on making maps & reading dyno charts
http://www.rc51.org/dynotuning.htm

post #33 of 61 Old 02-28-2009, 08:26 AM
hairball919

Okay, I read the entire thread and notice that YOU were about the only one who had much negative to say about the K&N filters. Most people who said anything negative seemed to refer back to your posts. In general, I'd say about 9 out of 10 people in that thread were happy with the K&N filters. I'm not slamming you here (but I'm sure you'll take it that way), I'm just saying that I don't believe they are as bad as you're telling people. Like others said, if they're so terrible, why would the be in business for so many years (since I was a kid!) and have sold so many millions of them? If you make garbage, people tend to tell friends and others, which in turn begins to lower sales. But if you stay in business by making and selling the same thing for as many years as K&N, you must be making an awesome product.

So, basically, I'm still going to install the K&N. I'll try it for awhile. If I notice any decrease in performance I'll take it out, but if I notice good things, it stays in. I guess the best way to learn is by experience. So I'll take the chance. But I'm guessing I'll be happy with the K&N.

post #34 of 61 Old 02-28-2009, 08:36 AM
hairball919

The Juice Box is coming out

of my bike, not the closet!

I've been noticing that this Juice Box that I was so fond of is really not as awesome as I had thought, especially at cruising speeds or on long rides. Not sure if it's because the Power Commander is fighting with it (both companies reference the other and say they work together). Yesterday I took about a 150 mile ride and stopped about 5 times to readjust the Juice Box because with the slip-ons amplifying the sound, it sounds like a constant sputter at steady rpm's at cruising speeds (any speed). The day I put it in, I noticed an immediate difference in power increase. But maybe I was trippin'! I guess it was a psychological increase in power because I don't notice anything besides problems getting the setting right. So it comes out today. I'd like to find out first if the bike will run if I just disconnect the ground wire, thereby disabling the Juice Box. Unless someone tells me NO, STOP!, DON'T DO THAT!, I'd like to start the bike and while it's idling I'll remove the ground wire. If the bike dies, I'll know this didn't work. But if it keeps running, and seems to run actually better, the unit comes out!

Want a good deal on a Juice Box?

Hey, I'm happy enough with a freshly programmed Power Commander and my cool slip-ons. I certainly don't need a huge increase in torque or horsepower. I was just looking for better off-the-line performance, so I'm going to just get different sprockets (yes, I read all the posts in the thread someone did about sprockets). From what I've read, the 15/45's will make this thing scarey off the line! Yee-Hah!

Juice Box, you gots to go!

post #35 of 61 Old 02-28-2009, 02:11 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I'm not taking it as a slam at all I encourage you to make up your own mind based on your own conclusions rather than blindly following others.

Just keep in mind that you have to be open and astute with your observations. You just said that you originally thought the Juicebox was like the greatest thing since sliced bread and are now changing your mind so obviously the placebo effect was working against you with that unit. What's to say it won't be the same with the K&N?

Additionally nobody wants to admit that the $80-$100 filter they just bought was a mistake so no you won't hear a lot of people saying anything bad about them. UJM admitted that his caused a slight hiccup in the fueling and others on many other threads on this forum & others have reported similar findings. The facts are out there so you just keep digging until you are satisfied with your own results.

post #36 of 61 Old 02-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i like the k&n if not for performance than because i can clean it instead of replacing it.

post #37 of 61 Old 02-28-2009, 02:19 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
i like the k&n if not for performance than because i can clean it instead of replacing it.
Nothing wrong with that mindset at all as long as you understand that you are are sacrificing a little performance for that convenience.

I'm just the other way... I hate having to wash the filter, & re-oil it and then wait for it to dry when I could be out riding. I like to yank out the OEM paper filter drop another one in and be off enjoying the scenery.

post #38 of 61 Old 02-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that mindset at all as long as you understand that you are are sacrificing a little performance for that convenience.

I'm just the other way... I hate having to wash the filter, & re-oil it and then wait for it to dry when I could be out riding. I like to yank out the OEM paper filter drop another one in and be off enjoying the scenery.
I can't find anything in the manual saying to ever replace the air filter, just blow it out with compressed air if its dirty. I also know they wont last forever. Is there an interval that it definitely should be replaced?

post #39 of 61 Old 02-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

Quote:

it rains enough here that i have plenty of time to do work on my bike, and thats doing the summer. then i get 7months worth of snow, i can take my time and que tip that b!tch clean

post #40 of 61 Old 02-28-2009, 04:01 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Most service manuals say every 8000 miles or so... I don't have the 919 manual committed to memory, but that is probably a pretty good guideline unless of course you ride in unusually dirty or dusty conditions etc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode