whats going on? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 03-03-2009, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

whats going on?

Hi all I just have a question.

03 9ner, 20,000 on it. I start it up let it warm up then start riding. So here is the deal. I like using my throttle but the problem is that when I do it stops running between shifts. Kinda a safety concern of mine. If I don't notice it and let it into gear of course my back tire skids as the motor starts. Just thought I would ask the experts around here if they have any ideas.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Tirone

I'm no expert, but my guess would be a loss of spark.. Does it happen in neutral while revving as well? There's a plethora of things it could be (vacuum leak, fuel issues, spark etc)...

post #3 of 7 Old 03-03-2009, 11:07 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

once started, does it idle fine? Then it won't idle once you are going? While warming it up, do you have to keep giving it throttle input to keep it running?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

if it is idling hard tell us what rpm it idles at.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #5 of 7 Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Tire abuser

Do you mean it cuts out when you shift out of neutral? Does this happen under load only (i.e., when you are riding the bike)? If it cuts out whenever you shift into gear, it could be the sidestand cut-out switch. If it will idle but won't make any power, it could be an obstruction in the airbox or exhaust (dirty air filter, mouse nest in exhaust, etc.).

post #6 of 7 Old 03-06-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

It happens under load. Full throttle with a slow shift. Meaning if I don't immediately go into the next gear. She idles just fine and my idle rpm is set at around 1100rpm.

So first gear give it hell slow shift cause I have reached speed limit bike kills.......... It just seems like it is starting to do this more often.

Thanks
Mark

post #7 of 7 Old 03-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdastrider View Post
Hi all I just have a question.

03 9ner, 20,000 on it. I start it up let it warm up then start riding.
Don't warm it up. Of course also don't slam the throttle to the stop with a stone cold motor. Excessive cold idling, especially with the enrichener on, can leave carbon deposits on the plugs which can take a while to burn off.
Quote:
So here is the deal. I like using my throttle but the problem is that when I do it stops running between shifts. Kinda a safety concern of mine. If I don't notice it and let it into gear of course my back tire skids as the motor starts. Just thought I would ask the experts around here if they have any ideas.

Thanks
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdastrider View Post
It happens under load. Full throttle with a slow shift. Meaning if I don't immediately go into the next gear. She idles just fine and my idle rpm is set at around 1100rpm.

So first gear give it hell slow shift cause I have reached speed limit bike kills.......... It just seems like it is starting to do this more often.

Thanks
Mark
In order to diagnose this we will need everything you can think of regarding the fuel you use, weather conditions, engine temperature, what exactly you mean by "shifting slow" (it should take around 100 milliseconds -- non synchro transmissions do not take kindly to being shifted slowly), what your common shift RPM is, any and all modifications, and pretty much everything else that comes to mind. It does sound electrical, but which part is causing it is up in the air.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode