What's All The Fuss?? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 06-14-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Hornet Grandpa!

What's All The Fuss??

Just a big bunch of thanks to Ken, sbeau1960, and semi_gray for all the help in removing the PAIR system and replacing my sparkplugs!

I read and examined the pictures on your sticky threads on PAIR removal. sbeau1960's tips to unbolt the water hose "T" and the #1–4 coil made a world of difference. The plates are a perfect fit, semi_gray! I used ¾" long, black allen bolts and a lock washer to replace the longer stock bolts (got them at Ace). It was quite easy to get an allen wrench in there to tighten them, harder on the inside bolt of the right side plate, but it worked. I used a standard rubber stopper to block off the nipple in the airbox – got it from Lowe's.

While all the hinderances were out of the way, I dropped in a set of Irridium plugs. I don't see the big difficulty with #3! The accompanying toolkit has the perfect spark plug wrench, which I discovered after I went out and bought a u-joint but couldn't get my extension down the hole. Then the lightbulb came on when I remembered someone (bless you!) said the toolkit had the perfect tool. He was right. It swivels down the hole, the inside has a rubber "grabber" to bring the plug up the hole, and it works with any 10mm wrench. ...and it is short enough to not bang into the frame or anything else under there! I just used a 3/8" drive and six inch extension with a standard sparkplug wrench (also rubber lined) on 1, 2, and 4. Now, I remember reading that some here did not get the toolkit when you bought your bikes, I believe these were the '06 and '07 models. My '04 has the kit. Well, if you can buy the spark plug wrench from Honda, do so, it saves on the bad language in the garage!

Well, I'm sure I set no records in installing this stuff, but I got real familiar with a bunch more stuff under the hood.

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Excellent. That's the best part of forums like this -- the members willingness to share their knowledge so others don't have to reinvent the wheel. And no more deceleration pops!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-14-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Hornet Grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Excellent. That's the best part of forums like this -- the members willingness to share their knowledge so others don't have to reinvent the wheel. And no more deceleration pops!
I never had the "pops" but it sure cleaned up the underside of my tank. I thought it would help in plug changes and it appears to do so.

Thanks again, Ken, and others!

post #4 of 7 Old 06-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I mailed those plates to you over a year ago!

Back then, I wasn't offering the hardware and airbox cap.

As many of you now know, I have M6X1 studs and SS acorn nuts that do the trick nicely and won't rust.

SHCS is a good way to go too since you can get in there with an allen if you haven't removed the valve cover from the engine. Ace hardware is a good source of metric / stailness / chrome hardware.

You're quite welcome support_six, It's been my pleasure providing this service to all of you!

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-14-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Hornet Grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
I mailed those plates to you over a year ago!
You're right! I've been "curing" them in my garage to make sure they were dry! They are!

Ok, I'll come clean. I often buy things ahead. I knew I'd need spark plugs sometime and wanted to do both jobs together because I "love" (read "hate") to do maintenance – there's always something that doesn't work when I'm done – except this time. I have a brand new set of Pilot Roads in my garage, to be installed in the Fall! Now get this – when I buy socks, I throw "all" my old ones away and buy "all" new ones to replace them. I've been known to buy a pair of shoes even though I have a pair just like them that are only half way through wear out. When I bought LED tail lights, I bought two sets. Sure they last a long time, but someday.....

So thanks for the plates, semi_gray. I'd hoped you'd autographed them with an engraving pencil, but alas! Oh well, If you ever get to Washington State, look me up and I'll have you do it!

Regards.

post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
I'd hoped you'd autographed them with an engraving pencil
Better yet, I have access to laser etching equipment. It's best to paint or anodize the surface, then burn through the layer(s) with various power levels to achieve the desired look. It uses a .tif image that can be scaled down to fit what you're etching.
I haven't had much of this done (yet), but have been looking for the right project to receive this treatment.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-14-2008, 07:57 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Glad to hear that my bloody knuckles have helped someone else, it's fun to dive into your bike and really get to know how it's put together. It helps that Hondas are very well thought out and designed in a logical manner, certainly makes wrenching more enjoyable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode