Premium - 91 48 35.29%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

What Type Of Fuel

Just wanted to see what octane of fuel everyone is running...I've been running Premium but keep hearing about how lower grade fuel will result in higher power in 919s.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

87, I found some Racing fuel at 76, 91 octane $6.50 a gallon!

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #3 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Most people seem to say that regular octane is fine for the 919, but I've always run premium. It performs great and gets 45-50mpg, so why mess with a good thing? I also only use Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate, there really is a difference in gasoline, something I learned when I worked for VW.

post #4 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Al

I don't know how our gas compares to yours, as there are several slightly altered versions of any one bike as per the needs of the country's fuel and anti-pollution requirements,, but over here we have 91 octane and 96 (regular and premium). When we bought our 919's the shop said to use 91,, or to put it more accurately, they said 91 will do,, but I run 96. I've used 91 in too many cars and a few bikes before to find they ping and overheat easier so I generally use 96 on anything... I know the argument goes a little deeper than that but that's my rule...

post #5 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Tirone??

I usually run 87, and every other tank with 91. Why? Who knows.... My bike runs great on 87. I usually only run chevron fuel as well.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #6 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 01:24 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

87. On occasion I'll run hi-test just to "clean" the injectors.

post #7 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 01:54 PM
CB900 Hornet

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Ceebee919 - You have RON rating. Your 96 is equivalent to 92 in the states. So using 91, it is our 87.

Lower octane differences is within the rate of burn in nanoseconds. Higher octane burns slower that is why you can advance your timing, run high compressions, turbo, supercharge, NOS...anything that increases overall engine compression needs higher octane so there will be less chance or pre-ignition. High compression is increased heat. Given the heat scenario, lower octane would ignite right when it exits the injectors...no good for any kind of performance. Fuel ignite by plugs...excellent!

Our hornets have 10.8:1 compression ratio...it is near the high side. Using premium helps stabilize performance. Less chance at detonation/ping when going WOT. If you have a tuned vehicle, using higher octane, if your setup requires it, is all for the better. IF you have stock setup...87 will be fine.

I always use 91 because the vehicles I drive/ride are not stock. My civic itr has 11.1:1 c/r and needs 96 (100 RON) or better to be in the optimal range. Unfortunately I can only get 91. Sister uses 91 in her 1.8T GTi. Dads SLK230 uses 91...until he sold it. Only person in the family using 87 is mum who drives a Fit.

Sister rides a GS500F and uses 91...it comes jetted lean from factory. Aircooled...so it's a hot running engine...not something quicker burning fuel should be in.

post #8 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 01:58 PM
it's a honda, not a bmw

hmm, limited options here.

I picked 91, but in Wisconsin Premium is 93.

I've never had a problem running premium fuel, but I have gotten some bad 87 in vehicles before (citgo water gas?)

post #9 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Aquilifer

the lowest octane useable without pinging yields the most power and best economy. in ALL motor vehicles, not just 919's. there's nothing about a 919 that makes that fact more significant.

that should be your guide. and never fill up when the tanker's dumping.

post #10 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 02:17 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
the lowest octane useable without pinging yields the most power and best economy. in ALL motor vehicles, not just 919's. there's nothing about a 919 that makes that fact more significant.

Plus One.

Professional
post #11 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:

+1. And don't piss into the wind.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #12 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 02:24 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

....or tug on SuperMans cape!

Professional
post #13 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 02:31 PM
CB900 Hornet

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Awesome couldn't say it any better. The fuel that doesn't ping is the one you want to use. Any higher would be useless...unless you start modifying/increasing the engine output/compression etc.

post #14 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmmann View Post
Ceebee919 - You have RON rating. Your 96 is equivalent to 92 in the states. So using 91, it is our 87.

Lower octane differences is within the rate of burn in nanoseconds. Higher octane burns slower that is why you can advance your timing, run high compressions, turbo, supercharge, NOS...anything that increases overall engine compression needs higher octane so there will be less chance or pre-ignition. High compression is increased heat. Given the heat scenario, lower octane would ignite right when it exits the injectors...no good for any kind of performance. Fuel ignite by plugs...excellent!

Our hornets have 10.8:1 compression ratio...it is near the high side. Using premium helps stabilize performance. Less chance at detonation/ping when going WOT. If you have a tuned vehicle, using higher octane, if your setup requires it, is all for the better. IF you have stock setup...87 will be fine.

I always use 91 because the vehicles I drive/ride are not stock. My civic itr has 11.1:1 c/r and needs 96 (100 RON) or better to be in the optimal range. Unfortunately I can only get 91. Sister uses 91 in her 1.8T GTi. Dads SLK230 uses 91...until he sold it. Only person in the family using 87 is mum who drives a Fit.

Sister rides a GS500F and uses 91...it comes jetted lean from factory. Aircooled...so it's a hot running engine...not something quicker burning fuel should be in.
I thought there was something in it like that... Many moons ago when we ran leaded gas, I used to know the specs as I had to test many solvents etc,, but since this unleaded stuff came in,, I dunno it any more... I had an idea there was a difference... I'll tell you what... when we had leaded gas, it was crap,, not the gas itself but our rules and regs about gasoline specs let too many impurities or levels of impurities into the product and it was absolute crap quality. I believe we have better quality nowadays though...

post #15 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 03:11 PM
boogerface

I use 93...why? I don't know. Where's my mom?

Michael Reyes

2002 Honda 919 / 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan
post #16 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 04:09 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

87 Octane 91% of the time.

post #17 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I have tried all the different gas stations, and found that shell runs the smoothest and clenaest. The shell I go to have 87, 89, and 93 and I always put in 93 octane. I know some say its wasting the gas, but I would rather run the 93. Whenever I put in the 87 it made the engine run poorly. Just my opinion. Everyone is going to do whatever they are most comfortable with.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #18 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

87, always. anything else is a complete waste of money. If the engine is pinging at all, then go up a grade, still pinging, then try premium. (that's what my teacher told me in auto mechanics school and I have never found any reason to disagree with it from personnal experience.)

post #19 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
I have tried all the different gas stations, and found that shell runs the smoothest and clenaest. The shell I go to have 87, 89, and 93 and I always put in 93 octane. I know some say its wasting the gas, but I would rather run the 93. Whenever I put in the 87 it made the engine run poorly. Just my opinion. Everyone is going to do whatever they are most comfortable with.
same with me, the shell station is right by my house so thats what i normally buy, and you can definatly tell the difference between 87 and 93

post #20 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Tirone

I use 87 only . Try to use tier one fuels like shell, bp, chevron or mobil. Buy gas at cleaner, newer places because they probably have fresher gas due to higher sales and cleaner storage tanks. Sport-touring.net has a recent post from a bmw guy who filled with premium fuel at a small town and got a load of water and sediment likely frpm the fact that premium sells poorly in rural areas and small towns so the premium storage tank may have some pretty old gas in there.
Having a small, modern combustion chamber and rich fuelling makes bikes like our 919 very resistant to pre-ignition and knock. Consider that honda designs, manufactures and warranties these engines. Would they recommend a fuel that would increase warranty claims?
Higher octane fuel resists detonation(knock) mainly by being more resistant to igniting under high temps/pressures. A sometimes unwanted side effect of this is that it burns very slightly slower. Honda actually ran into this problem in devoloping a 4stroke 250cc six cylinder race engine in the 60's. In testing, the engine would not rev to the 21,000 required to make the power needed to compete. The solution was to lower the compression a little so the faster burning lower octane fuel could be used. It worked.

post #21 of 46 Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Discen

I run what's cheapest. Most stations here it's the 10%ethanol 90 octane. Premium(91) is about .20-.25 higher per gallon. Seems like a waste for one more octane point.

2006 Honda 919
post #22 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Regular 87 octane from Sunoco, Shell, or Hess but absolutely never from Citgo or Valero.
Most Citgo stations around here have gone out of business or changed their brand affliliation.

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #23 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I use premium everytime (rages from 91-93).
If I have a choice I pick BP.

Consistently getting 40mpg

post #24 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 10:14 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Didn't LDH do some Dyno runs with 87 fule that proved to make significantly more horsepower than 91 did in the same 919?

I know that my stock 919 runs stronger (seat of the pants Dyno) and gets better milage with 87 than it does with 91, but maybe it's because I'm just so damned Good looking.

Professional
post #25 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

I think that a lot of people don't realize your elevation is going to come into play as to which grade is going to perform best. Also depending on how you ride you will notice a difference. If you run it in the upper RPM's frequently "like me" you probably notice the Premium works best, if you’re just lugging around town or on the Highway you'd never notice a difference so 87 is going to be just fine.

Also, If anyone has ever worked at a gas station they can confirm this. When they go out to the pumps to take reading for the gallons pumped (or at least back in my day we did) you are only taking two reading!!! Regular and Premium!!! What about the Mid grade you ask? Well the premium meter is clicking away while the 89 is being pumped... If you have a Sams Club around you, you will notice that they only offer 87 and 93 octane. The 87 is basically the same price as everyone else in town, but the Premium 93 is the same price as the Mid grade at the other stations?

Just Some Food For Thought!

I run the 89 in my BMW and Land Rover that both call for Premium. Never had an ill effect or knocking with either.

post #26 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
Didn't LDH do some Dyno runs with 87 fule that proved to make significantly more horsepower than 91 did in the same 919?

I know that my stock 919 runs stronger (seat of the pants Dyno) and gets better milage with 87 than it does with 91, but maybe it's because I'm just so damned Good looking.
Makes perfect sense (about more power), as it will burn faster and more completely than the premium. I'd bet that the graph also showed the 87 fell off in the upper RPM range and the Premium didn't really come on until the upper RPM's. There are trade off's to both. Depending on you're elevation, humidity, ambient temp and if you've had your bike tuned you could make gobs more power on 87. To many variables... But I know you already know all that Mr. Hasbeenracer!!!

My motto is: "Squeeze it Tight Before You Light!" or "Its always a better Bang when its tight" In other words Compression, compression, compression! Heck, my quad was pushing 15.1, a few more points and I could have run Diesel. I was in the process of converting the carb to run E85. Talk about bang for the buck!!! 105 octane rating at 1/4 of the price of Race Gas!!! But sold the quad before I ever got it done.

I'd love to get the 9'er up around 12.5 (depending on tuning maybe even 13.1) so you can still run pump gas but really benefit from the added compression.

post #27 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha_919 View Post
I use premium everytime (rages from 91-93).
If I have a choice I pick BP.

Consistently getting 40mpg
i just got 47mpg out of my last tank o gas. a mix of low speed commuting and one medium speed jaunt through the hills one day (about 60 miles of it). Chevron 87 oct. Another thing to consider, if it hasn't been mentioned already, is fuel quality. Results will vary.

post #28 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Aquilifer

i've only ever really heard of one brand standing out as being of better quality: shell. other than a few anecdotals here and there.

post #29 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Prepare 4 surprise attack

In my experience I also felt the premium had a slightly better throttle response and more of a purring sound in the high rpms and the regular more torque (but feel of course) on the take off.

Simon
post #30 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post

My motto is: "Squeeze it Tight Before You Light!"
I LIKE THAT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by streakin919 View Post
Another thing to consider, if it hasn't been mentioned already, is fuel quality. Results will vary.

Fuel quality is VERY important and results vary widely here in SO.CAL.
Quote:
i've only ever really heard of one brand standing out as being of better quality: shell. other than a few anecdotals here and there.
I've had good luck with Shell and Chevron, but one brand I will never use again is ARCO. I will walk before I put that CRAP in any of my vehicles again. It's my understanding that Arco formulates their gas differently than any of the other majors.

Professional
post #31 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 04:21 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I don't believe there's a single person on this Forum that can tell the differance in the brand of gas, oil, tires, or filters if they don't see the name when it's installed. We all find something about a product we like and to us it's the best. The only thing I look for is how much ethanol. If it's in the gas it's got to be posted on the pump.

[
post #32 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
I don't believe there's a single person on this Forum that can tell the differance in the brand of gas, oil, tires, or filters if they don't see the name when it's installed. We all find something about a product we like and to us it's the best. The only thing I look for is how much ethanol. If it's in the gas it's got to be posted on the pump.
Since we're on the topic of gas and several are running ethanol fuel, have you seen any ill effects from it? The reason I'm asking is...we ran it in dad's ski boat earlier this summer down at Land Between the Lakes and it clogged the fuel filter. Actually, the alcohol (ethanol) in the fuel broke down the deposits/crud in the fuel system which then clogged the fuel filter. Also, are their good effects to running ethanol fuel such as cleaner injectors, etc...?

post #33 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post

I disagree.

I can certainly tell a difference between tires, even if I can't see the name when they're put on. Performance in the rain, ability to handle quick input, feel at full lean, are very noticable. Could I tell you the brand by the ride? No. But I can notice a difference.

I notice the performance of oil and filters, not so much by the name when put on, but by the appearance of the oil when it comes out. It better be somewhat dirty when I change it if it's an oil with detergent in it. The job of that is to clean. The oil needs to gather it. Clean oil after 2,000 miles would scare me. The smoothness of the shifts is also an indication of the oil to lubricate. Can I tell the brand by this, no. But I can tell the performance.

Brand of gas, not so much unless the motor is pinging. That's obvious to someone who has experienced it before though.

I've spent so much time in the saddle of the 9 that minor changes stand out pretty quick.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #34 of 46 Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
If you have a Sams Club around you, you will notice that they only offer 87 and 93 octane.
Not correct.

Sam's Clubs here do not offer premium. Regular Unleaded(87) and 'Super' Unleaded(89-90) only.

2006 Honda 919
post #35 of 46 Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Tirone

87 only. If the book said 91, it would get 91. I have never had any problems with 87 so I won't give oil company's any money I don't have to.

post #36 of 46 Old 09-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolff View Post
Not correct.

Sam's Clubs here do not offer premium. Regular Unleaded(87) and 'Super' Unleaded(89-90) only.
Guess thats what I was trying to say? The premium and mid grade fuels are one and the same!

post #37 of 46 Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I spoze I should also add that mine's bone-stock. The only time I notice knocking or pinging is when I'm lugging the motor horribly. Any one who owns a niner knows how hard that is to do.

post #38 of 46 Old 09-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Milites Gregarius

I always used 89 octane, I thought it is what the manual indicated, but if most of you are getting good performance with 87 I'll try it for a while. I don't use gas with ethanol it in anything I own, it clogged the filter on my 63 Fairlane a few months ago.

post #39 of 46 Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
funny I had that same feeling with that bike! do you notice it seems to smell less when running shell as well?

post #40 of 46 Old 09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

91 CAUSE MY MOTOR WOULD BLOW WITHOUT IT.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode