What tires for the 919?? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

What tires for the 919??

just checked my 919 today and have threads showing in the dead center. was curious what tires you guys run on the 919? it has bridgestones on it now, but it has 10k on it, so its not the origina tire.. tho bridgestones could have come on it? anyways.. they seem to hookup good.. but thought id ask your guys opinions and also where to buy from? i usually buy my dirtbike tires from www.americanmototire.com for considerable less then i could at a dealer..

Visit the most active online motorcycle
community in the East TN/Western NC area at ....

http://www.TnAdvRiders.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Hornet Grandpa!

I've run Michelin Pilot Roads and Avon Azaros (I think that's how it's spelled). I ride 110 miles round trip to work each day with little opportunity for curves. I've gotten upwards of 15k on the Roads and Azaros. Sadly, Michelin came out with Pilot Road IIs which are about 25-30% more expensive and I can't find anyone who has the Avon Azaros anymore.

Be sure to match a tire to your riding style. I need more mileage out of a tire, not the ability to hold a curve so I look for the hardest rubber I can find.

post #3 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
Be sure to match a tire to your riding style. I need more mileage out of a tire, not the ability to hold a curve so I look for the hardest rubber I can find.
I like to ride aggresive to some degree on the curves.. but definately no speed demon.. just average twisty rider..

post #4 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's. Good wear characteristics in the middle, excellent cornering traction, and very good in the wet. Be prepared though -- they were just introduced and are just about the most expensive tires out there. They are perfect for me regardless of price, but as for you ...

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #5 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM

pirelli diablo strada are what i have run for commuting and 2 track days, lots of 2 up and one super torrential downpour. no complaints except at the track they get a bit loose.

my dad has the new dunlop roadsmart and that looks to be wearing very nicely for his riding style which is best described as beginner

post #6 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Sixty-9er

I just put on a pair of PR 2ct's and they kick ass! I didn't think they were that expensive considering I needed them in 4 days so I could move. Paid 373 for both mounted and balanced. Took the wheels off/on myself. 48 dollars of that 373 was for the mounting.

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #7 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 07:36 PM
speed limits?

i've got pirelli diablo's on mine, never slid going through bends...i put 3k miles on the rear that was on the bike when i bought it, can't remember how many miles were on it prior to me buying it. i'd like to say i ride rather aggressive but i also do a lot of commuting from school to home (80 mile trip every weekend so far this summer). took it to get inspected 2 weeks ago, tire was flat in the center and wouldn't pass inspection but i rode in rain and a good bit with it and probably could have gotten more out of it but had to replace it. the front tire is equally as old as the old rear and is still in perfect shape, the shop guys said i could go until next years inspection on it.

post #8 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Discen

I vote metzeler z6, same as the pirelli diablo strada, but little more meat on it, and better water handling. Plus NEW version is coming out in 2009, and might get them for cheap in the next upcomming months.

But i have 2k highway miles in mid summer heat, couple loops on the dragon, and many many local roads. many highway wet, really wet commutes home on the interstate at 70 mph, tires have acted flawless, never felt a bit of a slide or loss of traction. still have the round profile.

post #9 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 07:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I love my Pirelli Strada rear tire, but once it wears out im going to go with the new Rosso. We put a Rosso on my friends SV650 and its a beautiful tire. I just ordered a Rosso front for myself, but the Strada only has 4,000 on it so it will be a while until i need a new rear. Might try out Road2ct next, but i have a feeling ill stick with Pirelli unless the Rosso just doesn't last.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #10 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Unbannable

I have the Pirelli Diablo Strada too. Great tires.

post #11 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 05:54 AM
Tirone

I run Dunlop Qualifier I have 25 miles commute a mix of country road ( lots of turns ) and a little highway. Very good in the turns and decent wear.

post #12 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Pirelli Diablo Stradas Fr & Rr. So Far So Good! 3000 miles so far, and with the road surfaces we have here around my home, tire tread mileage is a challenge for bike or pickup truck.

post #13 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmatt80 View Post
I vote metzeler z6, same as the pirelli diablo strada, but little more meat on it, and better water handling. Plus NEW version is coming out in 2009, and might get them for cheap in the next upcomming months.

But i have 2k highway miles in mid summer heat, couple loops on the dragon, and many many local roads. many highway wet, really wet commutes home on the interstate at 70 mph, tires have acted flawless, never felt a bit of a slide or loss of traction. still have the round profile.
+1.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #14 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Tirone

I bought the Metezler M3's and their great and not a bad price too. I give em a 5 star rating. Never let me down and got about 2k on em still look good.
Look on motorcyclesuperstore.com thats where get em and they seem to always be the cheapest. also look into shipping too. its free from order over 75 bucks i believe. but look up reviews on the metezler m3's

post #15 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by faster4344 View Post
I bought the Metezler M3's and their great and not a bad price too. I give em a 5 star rating. Never let me down and got about 2k on em still look good.
Look on motorcyclesuperstore.com thats where get em and they seem to always be the cheapest. also look into shipping too. its free from order over 75 bucks i believe. but look up reviews on the metezler m3's
I just put a set of those on the Superhawk. I've got about 600 miles on them so far and they have been impressive, although I don't know what the wear will be like. The big twin likes to eat rear tires.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #16 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

I may have to look into the Metzlers, My Pilot Powers are close to being shot at a little over 4k.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #17 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 08:18 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I had a set of M3s on my Front & Rear when I bought my 919. I honestly like my strada better than the M3, and really like the Rosso front i just ordered. M3s might be great tires, but was unimpressed by them.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #18 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Ride the snake!!

I also run the Pilot road 2 and they are perfect what my needs. I commute to work on weekdays and like to be agressive on weekends. They are the shizzle.

post #19 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Newfie

I have gone through 3 sets of the Metzeler Z6's. They have lotsa meat and each set lasts 10k with normal driving. The last set went after picking up a nail after 2k, So I had to get a set of Diablo's. They seem alright but I am thinking that my next set will be the Road 2's.

post #20 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM

I have dunlop qualifiers on mine currently, but for commuting about 70 miles round trip is wearing out the tires in the middle. i was wondering if anyone had any experience on battlax 021 front & rear...?
i can get the set for $198 from ebay plus shipping and handling, but cyclegear said that they'll match the price because the ebay store that sells it for $198 is local here in Socal. i can get them mounted for $238 from cyclegear, which i think is really cheap. i'd like to get some feedback if anyone has tried them. thanks.

post #21 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

americanmototire doesnt show the bt56 bridgestone in 180 size. anyone run the bt16's or bt21? I need a tire that will last a little while.. need more then 2 or 3 k out of a tire... thinking about ordering the bt21 sport touring tire.

post #22 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

also the bt21's are listed as a radial tire?? are these safe to run? are they all radial tires , or can someone explain the difference.>?

post #23 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I ordered the bridgestone bt21's from online for 115.. local shop priced me an avon for over 200 plus 40 to mount it.. wew.. i hope the bt21's are a good tire.

post #24 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Out of all the replies, no one is running the bt21's. Seems like you made up your mind. Let us know how these tires work for you.

post #25 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Out of all the replies, no one is running the bt21's. Seems like you made up your mind. Let us know how these tires work for you.

I just had to get one ordered quick... so i can ride.. someone was inquiring about the bt21's.. I read up on them and they are sport touring tire.. which shoul dlast a little longer then what was on it.. but still have good grip.. 115 for the tire.. .. anyone ever put a wider tire on the 919?? like a 190??

post #26 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Discen

radial tire is what you want, i don't know every in and out of it, but basically it has steal belts and other cords. BIas ply not so much.

I have heard if a radial goes flat mid turn, you have more of a chance to make it out with both tires still on the ground, than with a bias ply.

I wouldn';t buy a bias ply tire, they are old technology.

http://www.michelinag.com/agx/en-US/...ias_radial.jsp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode