What RPM range do you use themost? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

What RPM range do you use themost?

Oh great, another stupid question...I probably should have made this a poll, but decided not to. I'm curious what RPM range folks tend to use the most when out riding.

When I'm cruising along with traffic, regardless what speed or gear I'm in, I usually find myself cruising along at 3500-4500RPM. This tends to go upward If I'm passing, or riding aggressively in which case I find I'm usually around 5500-6500RPM.

Do you all ride with a typically lower or higher RPM than this, or about the same? ...and why?

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

That's me too.

Very similar to what you said.

post #3 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
yzarc mi os

I haven't had gauges since day one so I have no idea. I just stay with the flow of traffic most of the time or if feeling spirited or hurried slightly above the speed of traffic.
Get's a little buzzy some times once out near home on the interstate since the speed imit is 70 and every one is doing 85+.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #4 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Semper Vigilo

About the same as you, when I am cruisin around the coutry side and no one is around I tend to bring the RPMs up a bit.

post #5 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 06:08 PM
?Tirone?

5000-6000rpm for cruising, 6000 to 9000 for twisties, why? i am comfortable w/ the bike at that rpm and power thru the turn seems ready and available.

post #6 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 06:15 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I'm about the same normally, there are those times when I feel "spirited" in the twisties and will keep it in the 5500 to 7500 range (maybe a little higher) for some fun.

post #7 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Maybe I should have stated the question a little differently, given Porrboy's statement. 3000-3500 is pretty low on the 919's power band, 4000-5500 is right in prime time, 5500+ is getting towards the top of the powerband. I rarely get over 5500 unless I'm launching hard and trying to accelerate as quick as I can...in which case I get right up around redline.

Saekazir, you do ride a 919, right? what kind of gas mileage do you get revving so high?

"The Shadow"
post #8 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

I find that I like to ride between 4K-5K. Throttle responsiveness seems the best there. I like to keep the RPM's up in traffic so I can use the throttle to slow down quick if someone does something stupid.

post #9 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Aquilifer

On the freeway, whatever 75mph indicated (stock gearing) is.

When railing, 55-8500RPM, with a lot of sustained >6500 RPM riding.

post #10 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Pilus Posterior

Around town a slow speeds the bottom is strong so you can putt around under 3500 easily.
I find the 919 has a very fat grunty mid-range 3-6,500 on the tacho. Max torque is at 6.5 so that figures.

There is a kick at around 6 which really gets you flying in the upper regions.

It is rare for me to get near the redline - even one of my favourite set of hill left-right-left-right-right-left ..... corners is brilliant in second gear using the power anywhere from 3 to 8,000 - that's one fat power cure to ride

post #11 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
yzarc mi os

I don't think have ever actually paid attention to a tach when driving come to think of it. hell my atv's and dirt bikes don't have tachs but it's a clear as day sound when you come on and off the cam.

Not trying to start anything but what is the point of the question just a comparisoin of peoples usage of the power band?

post #12 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porrboy View Post
what is the point of the question just a comparisoin of peoples usage of the power band?
So he can find out who has been thrashing the crap out of their bike to ensure he does not buy it!!!!!

post #13 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Batman

i take it easy around town, usually in the 3700 - 4200 rpm range. Depends on where im going. Since i live so close to work the bike doesnt warm up much, so i keep things tame. No sense on tempting myself snce i drive past 3 schools, a grocery parkking lot (think blind soccer moms) AND the police station...

But when i get the chance to, i'll float around the in the high gears, then run it down to the power band range (5200-6000) and let her sing. All work and no play makes my legs go numb.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #14 of 27 Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porrboy View Post
Not trying to start anything but what is the point of the question just a comparisin of peoples usage of the power band?
Hahahahaha..AllanB was close!

Lol, it's no issue. I thought I'd ask the question because of the MANY fuel mileage threads I've read, and the MANY different responses I've seen. the biggest difference in mileage that people get would seem to be what gear/RPM range that folks feel most comfortable with and use the most. I'm sure there are many reasons for why people like to cruise at a certain RPM, and even if they don't consciously think about it...or don't have gauges...I'm pretty sure that most riders have a personal happy place in the RPM's that just feels best. Whether that's because of the vibes the bike gives off, the sound, or what is really hard to quantify in a way that would make sense across the board. it's rider specific rather than pertaining to 919's in general.

Different folks have different styles and all, and I know my original post was pretty vague. I was honestly just curious...For instance, my 919 has a full two-bros exhaust, which is a bit loud...much louder than stock, but hopefully not obnoxiously loud. When I'm riding through my neighborhood (esp. at night) which is posted @25mph, I stay in 2nd gear and keep the rpm's around 2000-2500 to keep it quiet.

When I'm on the freeway, I stay higher in the power band, so that I have the full benefit of instant acceleration/ or instant deceleration via engine braking. And yes, there is a very definite step in the power band at around 6000-6200rpm's....I think of it as my 9'ers soul screaming "YES! Gimme more!!!" I dont know. It's probably a mistake to anthropomorphize my bike too much. I just know it gives me wood. I also have been known to burn incense to appease the anima of my motorcycle.

NO! not really!

On normal surface streets that are posted @ 35-45mph I usually cruise in 3rd or 4th gear and keep the revs moderately low, around 3000-3500 because it seems to be this bikes sweet spot. but, ymmv.......

"The Shadow"
post #15 of 27 Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 AM
The Cripple

lol shadow, interesting thread...

i currently run 17t front and 44 rear. i find myself oftentimes staying between 3.5 and 4.5k on average when i'm on surface streets. when its on the freeway, generally between 4.5 and 6.5k. def a kick around 6k and alot of engine braking avail at that rev range, which i use extensively. hell oftentimes if i'm cruising at 65 or lower on the freeway, i'll oftentimes not shift to 6th gear just so i can have fun twistin the throttle for a quick thrill... god i love this bike.

post #16 of 27 Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Pob
Tirone

Yes low revs round built up areas so as not to draw too much attention with loud cans. About 3000rpm, I only really go above 7000 when razzing through the gears to accelerate, far too noisy and busy sitting at high revs, it pulls well from 4000 revs - no need to be bouncing off the rev limiter.

post #17 of 27 Old 06-03-2010, 06:17 PM
yzarc mi os

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Hahahahaha..AllanB was close!

Lol, it's no issue. I thought I'd ask the question because of the MANY fuel mileage threads I've read, and the MANY different responses I've seen. the biggest difference in mileage that people get would seem to be what gear/RPM range that folks feel most comfortable with and use the most. I'm sure there are many reasons for why people like to cruise at a certain RPM, and even if they don't consciously think about it...or don't have gauges...I'm pretty sure that most riders have a personal happy place in the RPM's that just feels best. Whether that's because of the vibes the bike gives off, the sound, or what is really hard to quantify in a way that would make sense across the board. it's rider specific rather than pertaining to 919's in general.

Different folks have different styles and all, and I know my original post was pretty vague. I was honestly just curious...For instance, my 919 has a full two-bros exhaust, which is a bit loud...much louder than stock, but hopefully not obnoxiously loud. When I'm riding through my neighborhood (esp. at night) which is posted @25mph, I stay in 2nd gear and keep the rpm's around 2000-2500 to keep it quiet.

When I'm on the freeway, I stay higher in the power band, so that I have the full benefit of instant acceleration/ or instant deceleration via engine braking. And yes, there is a very definite step in the power band at around 6000-6200rpm's....I think of it as my 9'ers soul screaming "YES! Gimme more!!!" I dont know. It's probably a mistake to anthropomorphize my bike too much. I just know it gives me wood. I also have been known to burn incense to appease the anima of my motorcycle.

NO! not really!

On normal surface streets that are posted @ 35-45mph I usually cruise in 3rd or 4th gear and keep the revs moderately low, around 3000-3500 because it seems to be this bikes sweet spot. but, ymmv.......

It's alright I was just curious of your curiosity.

I don't have numbers but any one who rides enough will get what I mean. I normally try to stay as low as possible and since I bought it as a commuter first and for most though as I have gotten comnfortable with street bikes I tend to spend my time on the back country roads till i get to the highway in the power band. or at least tipping it into it.

I also have days when I stay near home ( I live in the back country with all those glorious curvy roads.) And never get above 4th. hell mostly 2nd and 3rd.

I have a tendency to down shift in corners alot out here. Got alot of corners that have dips or asphalt patches here today I so happened to down shift and not give it enough gas to maintain a relative speed made for an intresting ride. saved it though with an inadvertent tail slide.

There are 2 corners on my daily grind that have a good bank and loosen right at the exit and are a blast to enter a gear low for smoothness sake but to pull the front wheel on the exit.

Something about leaving a turn lofting the wheel that just makes you grin.

Funny part is I bought the bike to conserve gas which it did all last year but there are times now it drinks more than the 4x4.

post #18 of 27 Old 06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
?Tirone?

i have yet to run the gas down to empty, but my light came on at 151 and i only filled 3.87 gal in it. yes, i am running a 919 and have a bafflecetomy, power commander w/ simpson (two brothers or mothers, which your preference) map on +2 on all ranges. I have almost 20,000 on my '05, i got it w/ 36miles in '06. There is a healthy amount of twisties close to me. My 8 mile commute to work has 7 turns 30mph or less. Alot of fun in my area.

post #19 of 27 Old 06-04-2010, 01:30 PM
?Tirone?

ohhh.. and i have 16-45 gearing. 15-45 seemed a little to aggresive.

post #20 of 27 Old 06-04-2010, 02:30 PM
?Tirone?

ok...just got home from commute.
happy riding on straight road= 5.5-6.5 rpm.
Happy place for entering corner while by myself not beating to death= 6.0-6.5
Riding aggresively w/ people who out corner and out lean me= 7-8.
OOOPPS entered corner in wrong gear to late to correct = 8-9
i do not really want to high rev, but i am comfortable if i must go into the red to not perish in a ball of flame. Make sense?

ohh and i cannot wheelie. I have not yet had the balls to try.

post #21 of 27 Old 06-04-2010, 03:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

All of them. Sometimes i short shift just to lug the motor because I can. last time out I was wicking on the high side. sometimes 2-3. 4-6 when I wanna gas and go.

post #22 of 27 Old 06-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Optio

Generally shift around 4k rpm in town, whether I'm checking the tach or not. That's just where it sounds like it wants to shift when I'm not thrashing it. When I'm riding aggressively for fun, I'm all over the range, depending on the situation.

post #23 of 27 Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

3500-5500 on the street. 5000-6500 +/- on fast backroads or at the track.

post #24 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i dont think i ever shift below 4k (going up) and from there i could go right to red line or shift anywhere in between even just out cruising in 6th i think im always at 4k+ (i am +1 on rear sprocket) and 70mph is a nice cruise speed even on back roads. i live in a very very rural area not alot of ppl

post #25 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Tirone

I never let it drop below 3,500, prefer to run around 4,500 for normal cruising/commuting. Of course, the rpms go up on the proper roads. My main gears are 1 through 4. I use 5th gear some and 6th rarely.

post #26 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Gets censored

i like hearing my motor, and i like other people hearing it i belive its saved my ass a time or two. I dont beat it everytime i get on it but i do tend to hold the gear a little longer than most... better throttle control and more noise = win-win

post #27 of 27 Old 06-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Immune

Same as the OP.
cruising along at 3500-4500RPM
riding aggressively around 5500-6500RPM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode