...What Fuel Cost Problem? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

...What Fuel Cost Problem?

I just realized that I have now had my 919 for exactly 2 months. Why the huge grin? Because I haven't put any gas in my truck since the day I picked her up and it still has 1/2 a tank left.

Stickin' it to the man.

Press Any Key To Continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

That's funny because just last week BEFORE my ride up to Boston I calculated how much I've saved if I were to put the exact same miles on the minivan. I've saved $665!!!! And my trip up to Boston from Marylnd (445 miles) was only cost $33!!! It's a whole new shade to being green!!!

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-20-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

My normal commuting before the 919 was costing me about $90 per week in the truck. Now, I do the normal commuting, except taking the backroads of course, and ride a little extra on the weekend and only spend about 14$ per week. Including the small bike payment, insurance, gear, and accessories purchased, I'm still money ahead each month. Sweeeeeeeet.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Tesserarius

But, how much did you pay for riding gear, registration, mods. ins, tires, 3000miles per tire, helmets, repairs after dropping, g/f's gear, etc. etc.
I think it's cheaper to drive my truck!

post #5 of 16 Old 10-20-2008, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I added up all the gear, accessories, tools, etc. and have spent about $400 so far on the bike. A good chunk was on the sweet stand I got from you. The other two biggies are my gear. My wife refuses to ride so no gear for her. I've got a spreadsheet (if you are interested in seeing it) that plots out how the motorcycle will pay for itself in under 2 years with only riding 60% of the year. Of course it is based off the gas prices being a little over $4.00 per gallon from a couple of months ago.

I didn't get it just to save money, but because I wanted one. The fuel savings is a bonus. Kinda helped to rationalize the decision for my better half. During the summer, instead of spending almost $400 on fuel in my truck, I spent about $300 per month on the motorcycle, accessories, and insurance. Add $75 per month that my truck costs just sitting in the driveway, and I'm still coming out slightly ahead. (at least during the riding season)

I got some really good deals on gear. Found the 2007 helmet of the year for only $130 shipped. Got a good Joe Rocket jacket with liner for under $80 barely used from eBay, and bought some never worn Joe Rocket Atomic pants from a friend for $45. I need to get some good winter and summer gloves and riding boots to wrap up the gear for now.

post #6 of 16 Old 10-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Hear Hear, that centerstand was a complete rip off !!

Your's doesn't matter.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOBMAN View Post
But, how much did you pay for riding gear, registration, mods. ins, tires, 3000miles per tire, helmets, repairs after dropping, g/f's gear, etc. etc.
I think it's cheaper to drive my truck!
Let's see ... my gear was amortized years ago; registration for the bike is about the same as the truck, which I filed a non op this year, so I'm saving that as well: mods -- If I can't make it myself it doesn't get installed; insurance on the truck is 4 times that for the bike; tires -- $300 a set at 12,000 miles on a rear and 15,000 front -- that's 2.22 cents a mile: about the same as the truck; helmet lumped in with the gear; dropping? what's that?; no gf. Overall miscellaneous costs are considerably less than the truck. Add to that the bike gets double the mileage, so there's a goodly savings added into the equation.

Now for the intangibles: When I was commuting it would take 55 minutes average on the bike, and just under twice that in the truck, so if you price my time at my equivalent hourly wage that's $15 a day saved. Then there's productivity: the few times I drove to work I would be so pi$$ed off it would take an hour to get into a work mindset, but after 55 minutes on the bike I'd arrive with a smile on my face and ready to wrestle alligators, enabling me to accomplish more in a day. Combined, that's about $30 a day saved! Another factor is I can't remember ever driving the truck for recreation except to someplace that costs a bundle to get into, but the bike -- all I need is a twisty road and some gas. Let's say I have a better weekend when I've ridden than when I driven, and one hell of a lot cheaper as well, so the beginning of the next week starts with a better and more productive attitude.

I'd say that when all the factors are taken into consideration a motorcycle is the bargain of the century compared to a car / truck!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #8 of 16 Old 10-20-2008, 03:50 PM
USMC

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Let's see ... my gear was amortized years ago; registration for the bike is about the same as the truck, which I filed a non op this year, so I'm saving that as well: mods -- If I can't make it myself it doesn't get installed; insurance on the truck is 4 times that for the bike; tires -- $300 a set at 12,000 miles on a rear and 15,000 front -- that's 2.22 cents a mile: about the same as the truck; helmet lumped in with the gear; dropping? what's that?; no gf. Overall miscellaneous costs are considerably less than the truck. Add to that the bike gets double the mileage, so there's a goodly savings added into the equation.

Now for the intangibles: When I was commuting it would take 55 minutes average on the bike, and just under twice that in the truck, so if you price my time at my equivalent hourly wage that's $15 a day saved. Then there's productivity: the few times I drove to work I would be so pi$$ed off it would take an hour to get into a work mindset, but after 55 minutes on the bike I'd arrive with a smile on my face and ready to wrestle alligators, enabling me to accomplish more in a day. Combined, that's about $30 a day saved! Another factor is I can't remember ever driving the truck for recreation except to someplace that costs a bundle to get into, but the bike -- all I need is a twisty road and some gas. Let's say I have a better weekend when I've ridden than when I driven, and one hell of a lot cheaper as well, so the beginning of the next week starts with a better and more productive attitude.

I'd say that when all the factors are taken into consideration a motorcycle is the bargain of the century compared to a car / truck!

Rob

haha!!! big smiles here, cant beat my bike for fun and savings. 127 a year for ins, round 300 for payments and 20 a week for gas. my old 300zx 60$ a week!! having fun every time i throw my leg over her, priceless!!!

2007 CB919 37 mi Aug 20 2008
post #9 of 16 Old 10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I was averaging 300 miles a week just going to college and work and around town here and there. I definitely think getting 40mpg is a lot better than 15mpg. Gear cost money, but not a big deal since I would have the bike for recreation anyway. Makes sense to use it for recreation and commuting in my opinion.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #10 of 16 Old 10-20-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfilet300 View Post
Hear Hear, that centerstand was a complete rip off !!
I was not complaining about the cost of the stand. I think it was a great deal and an awesome product. Just was trying to say I haven't spent much at all on the bike.

post #11 of 16 Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Discen

I too think it's crazy (in a good way) that I only fuel up my truck about 4-5 times per year. But winter is approaching, so I will do more carpooling with the wife.

2006 Honda 919
post #12 of 16 Old 10-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I was not complaining about the cost of the stand. I think it was a great deal and an awesome product. Just was trying to say I haven't spent much at all on the bike.
I completely got the humor and it was my intent to add to it. So since the humor has completely leeched out let me be 101% clear to anyone, I use my centerstand constantly whenever I clean the bike or do any maintenance. I love the centerstand. Not only for it's durability, but it very stable and it's ease to use and take off. Absolutly NO disrespect to Pete.

Your's doesn't matter.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-21-2008, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfilet300 View Post
I completely got the humor and it was my intent to add to it. So since the humor has completely leeched out let me be 101% clear to anyone, I use my centerstand constantly whenever I clean the bike or do any maintenance. I love the centerstand. Not only for it's durability, but it very stable and it's ease to use and take off. Absolutly NO disrespect to Pete.
I figured that was you intent as was it mine. Sometimes email, blogging, posting etc. comes across differently than in person so I just thought I'd make sure there were no misunderstanding about my feelings for the stand.

I think peters post about not saving money must be because he's riding the bike in his avatar with the Viper V10 stuffed in it!!!

post #14 of 16 Old 10-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I find I spend way more money on fuel for the 9er vs. my truck. With the 9er, sure better mileage, but I wil go the long way around. Truck I go the shortest way where ever I go. I never go out an a Sunday drive in the truck. 9er I have take on many 600 mile rides. 3 or 4 tanks of fuel for the bike in one day, never burned 1 in a day in the truck, just to go for a drive. Going for coffee and taking the bike, always the furthest coffee shop in the city and still take the long way to get there. Maybe it is just me...

post #15 of 16 Old 10-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

It is my belief that Rob's yellow 9er is one badazz mamma jammer.

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #16 of 16 Old 10-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
It is my belief that Rob's yellow 9er is one badazz mamma jammer.
At the moment, it's a concept we're working on. If you have any ideas or are good with photoshop see this thread:
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=15670
All thoughts / ideas / suggestions are appreciated.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode