what bank angle sensor for? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Discen

what bank angle sensor for?

Dear All,

This is my first post on this forum. I ride Honda cb750f 1978 and I am looking for a new bike. I like the simplicity of the one I have but it is getting old and I would rather riding then fixing ..

So, I was looking on 599 in the dealership, when salesperson showed me 919 and I really liked the package... The only thing which I was not sure I want to have are all the compications of fuel injection. I started to look on Inet for manual on this model and was directed to this great forum. Yesterday I looked through the fuel injection part of manual and I was stunned with number of sensors and connectors.

I have three questions for 919 owners:

1. How often you experience FI mailfunction /getting error codes etc. I would like to be able to ride it on unpaved roads in Death Valley without worrying to get stranded ..

2. Are there any good engine cages for it ? I would like to be able to drop the bike and have damage limited to mirrors and turn signals. I do not care if it does not look sexy as soon as it does not take up clearance and does not restrict too much access for maintanence and does not weigh too much. 919 seems not REALLY most popular among stunters so I would like to now this before I buy it.

3. I was puzzled with bank angle sensor. Is it designed to cut off the power in case of spill ? Is it really needed ? Can it be taken out?

Thanks for sharing your expertise ! - Serge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-04-2007, 02:43 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome to the site serge. As far as the questions:

1) The fuel injection seems pretty bulletproof and I think you would like it compared to carbs once you've had it awhile. It does it's thing without any bother. The only person on here I know of who ever got an error code was a guy who went through South America and was buying bad fuel that had water in it. As far as unpaved road riding I would think there are better choices than the 919 though.

2) Here is a link to one of a few companies who make crash guards for the 919:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/421/476/

3) I believe the bank angle sensor cuts power to the fuel pump if the bike ends up on it's side. Might be a good idea to leave it alone, especially if you're doing unpaved road riding. As with all safeties, I'm sure it can be bypassed, but not recommended.

The 919 and it's electrical circuitry is very reliable, at least for a streetbike.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 18 Old 01-04-2007, 04:19 AM
Team Hornet

Givi make engine guards, but if their racks and top boxes are anything to go by you'd better have deep pockets .

Givi Engine Guards

Hope this helps...

Mick

post #4 of 18 Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

The bank angle sensor is designed to stop the engine from running in the event of a crash. It's a very bad idea to try to disable it. There's nothing to be gained by removing it and it would pose a safety hazard to yourself or rescue workers should you ever fall without one.

Welcome to the site!

post #5 of 18 Old 01-04-2007, 05:04 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Your concerns are warranted especially since you are riding a 25+ year old bike. Welcome to the 21st. century motorcycle techknowledgey. Whether you buy a Honda or another make, EFI with all it's circuitry is the industry standard.

HondaJim has pretty much summed it. Welcome aboard...

post #6 of 18 Old 01-04-2007, 05:42 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Wilkommen!

I don't really have anything else to add because Jim and Mike said everything I would have said.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #7 of 18 Old 01-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Milites Gregarius

Switch from an 83 suzuki GS750E myself.. FI's only downside that I see is that if you want to play with the Air/fuel mix its more expensive.. but its a one time cost as opposed to carb jets on a carburated bike which you basicly have to buy new everytime you want to change anything..
As for occasional dirt road ussage.. I don't see any reason why not.. as long as your not expecting it to be a dirt bike and handle loads of mud and serious jumps etc.

and I can't see any reason to disable the bank angle sensor... maybe if your wanting to become a stunter or some such..which with a bit of a gearing change the 9'er is probably an excellent canadite for.. but without the gearing change its got enough hooligan in it to satisfy most riders..

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #8 of 18 Old 01-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Cornicen

the fuel pump runs a constant 50 psi, it cuts out when the bike falls over.

post #9 of 18 Old 01-04-2007, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Thanks a lot for the wealth of info ! - Serge

post #10 of 18 Old 01-04-2007, 02:01 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I had an old 78 750K. I'm 46. Trust me, if you get a 919 you will never ride that 750 again. There are a lot of members here. There were a lot of guys on Motorush. I think I remember one guy had 1 injector replaced, and that was under warranty. The difference twixt the carbs on your 78 and fuel injection is HUGE.

You're going to love the way the 919 handles. It's rear is sprung a little stiff and coming of an old 750, you're going to think the seat is hard, but welcome to the 21st century!

50 mpg is possible if you can keep your hand out of it.

post #11 of 18 Old 01-04-2007, 08:55 PM

Hey serge I'm from the old school of carb. bikes. The 919 is the first FI bike I have ever owned. You wont go wrong with the 919, I love mine. It handles great and lots of power. The only thing that I had to do to mine is install a Fly Screen. Speeds over 100 mph the screen helps with the wind. If you buy a new 919 make the dealer kick in a new Fly Screen with the bike. I think they are around 90 bucks and don't come with the bike. Hope this helps.

post #12 of 18 Old 01-04-2007, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Discen

I found one with mechanical fuel injection !
I am afraid though it will cost more than 919

http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/military.htm

post #13 of 18 Old 01-05-2007, 05:58 AM

The 919 FI is bullet proof. No problems there that I can foresee.

Givi and SW-Motech make engine guards for the 919.

However.
The 919 is a horrible off pavement bike though. I've had mine on dirt and gravel roads. The tight suspension in combination with a touchy throttle with lots of low end torque make the 919 a nightmare off pavement. You will spend most of your time trying to keep the rear tire from spinning.

A Suzuki Vstrom, BMW GS or similar enduro style bike would make a far better choice for off pavement riding.

post #14 of 18 Old 01-05-2007, 06:02 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
I found one with mechanical fuel injection !
I am afraid though it will cost more than 919

http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/military.htm

ENGINE:
Type: 4-Stroke, IDI, single cylinder, liquid cooled.
Displacement: 611cc
Power: 30 PS @ 5700 RPM
Torque: 33 ft-lbs @ 4200 RPM

Not enough Power Man!! I need POWER!!

post #15 of 18 Old 01-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome to the fold! The fuel injection system, which may look intimidating at first, is very basic compared to current automotive systems. One thing for sure -- unless you start messing with it, it will probably never need any maintenance at all, and the control unit is completely bulletproof.
That said, remember that any modifications to the engine that change the mixture delivery characteristics, such as a pair of slip on silencers, will probably require the installation of some sort of power commander to enable the injection system to be adjusted -- the stock control unit is not programmable. An expensive proposition unless you can't resist installing the latest hot item or are continually modifying in search of the "perfect" setup.
I agree with the previous posts regarding its off road manners -- just say NO!
As for the bank angle sensor, it is there mainly to protect the engine. When a carbureted bike falls over, fuel runs away from the jets, and the engine dies. Fuel injection, on the other hand, will not, as long as it has fuel pressure. In fact, with a full tank, it will continue to work practically upside down! So as its laying on its side the engine will continue to run without oil pressure, and all the plain bearings will be destroyed in very short order, even at idle, invariably damaging the crankshaft, cams, and whatever else is supported by the bearings, converting it to a pretty support for a coffee table. DO NOT BYPASS THE BANK ANGLE SENSOR, especially if you intend to take it off the pavement for even a brief period.
Anyway, leave it stock, at least as regards the engine, and just ride it!
Rob

post #16 of 18 Old 01-05-2007, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Welcome to the fold! The fuel So as its laying on its side the engine will continue to run without oil pressure, and all the plain bearings will be destroyed in very short order, even at idle, invariably damaging the crankshaft, cams, and whatever else is supported by the bearings, converting it to a pretty support for a coffee table. DO NOT BYPASS THE BANK ANGLE SENSOR, especially if you intend to take it off the pavement for even a brief period.
Anyway, leave it stock, at least as regards the engine, and just ride it!
Rob
Thanks a lot ! It did not came to me that bike laying still on the side indeed might not have oil pressure.. I have had once fuel cut-off impact sensor engaged (in a car) at most inconvinient curcumstences, but that car was not a honda .

post #17 of 18 Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 PM

One annoying thing is that FI on the 919 doesn't like going downhill when the tank is low. The fuel pump starts sucking up air. You can run downhill on fumes for along time with a carburated bike searching for a gas station.

On the bank angle sensor... I met a guy who dropped a custom chopper on his leg in the middle of nowhere & couldn't get it off. The engine kept running frying his leg skin till he passed out. The engine finally quit for some other reason, probably the fuel pump inlet not being submerged anymore. His leg is still gross years later & he's still spending $$ treating it.

post #18 of 18 Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i tested a bank angle sensor ones at school(MMI) and found that it only shuts the bike down after rear tire is lifted off the ground because of foot peg. now granted they will all be slighty different. this was a 05 z1000. i am sure that they are all pretty much doing the same thing. so i dont think i would worry about it even if i was stunting a bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode