Whaaa hoooo!!! then Aww man!!!.... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 11-01-2007, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Whaaa hoooo!!! then Aww man!!!....

Just loaded up my power commander with stock 919 map. Much better. Quieter, smoother, very happy with the results,,, was out having fun this eve, stopped for a bite to eat, and discovered i picked up a big screw in the back tire.

Time to figure out how to how to fix this. Manual kinda looks like it was writen by a lawyer.

So do you just get one of those tubless tire plug doo das or do i really need to get a new tire?

A local shop will replace tires same day if i bring in the wheel, not the whole bike, and the local honda dealer is always booked up a couple weeks So i guess i need to figure out how to support the bike to get wheel off, I saw someone makes a special center stand to supporting the bike while dealing with the wheels, also see some folks are using some sort of L shaped bars. what do you guys recomend? Should i try to plug the hole and save the weekend or...?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-01-2007, 08:26 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Plugging is not a good Idea for a motorcycle tire. Unless its a roadside repair to get you home.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #3 of 15 Old 11-01-2007, 08:31 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

If you have a floor jack you can pull the wheel off and leave the ass end in the air. You can get the plug kit and plug the tire but plan on getting it to the shop to get a replacement tire. It is a matter of safety vs economy. You make the decision. Most people I've discussed this with have put safety first.

Tucson eh. My bud is the coach of the U of A Girls Waterpolo Team.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #4 of 15 Old 11-01-2007, 08:36 PM
You Better Call Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

A buddy and I took a weekend bike trip around 800 miles round trip. About half way he picked up a nail. He didn't notice until we saw the tire pressure was low. So we stop at a local gas station he fills the tire out flies the nail and tire goes flat in a few seconds. I speed off to the local walmart grab a tire repair kit. We fix it up and it's good as new. We take his bike to the local triumph dealer the next day. Service guy looks at it and says oh yeah you guys did a good job, that is all I would have done to repair the tire. So my buddy says, is it safe? The guys says well I've done it, but your tire could EXPLODE at any moment. So $250 for the new tire and and hour later we were back on the road.

I'd personally get a new tire. You only have two keeping you on the road. If it was a car maybe I'd spend the 6 bucks on the tire repair kit and see how long it lasts...

Good luck.

post #5 of 15 Old 11-01-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks gents, will go ahead with getting a new tire. PITA though, only 400 miles on it.....

Looks like i can support it reasonbly well with a 4X4 and some blocks i have around the house for now. Definatly want to get that centerstand or those other doo das. Would really suck to have it tip over.

Yup. I went to the UofA and work only a few blocks from there now. Haven't had the pleasure of seeing the water polo folks. How knows, maybe someday?

post #6 of 15 Old 11-01-2007, 08:53 PM

Just think about what would happen if it deflated while riding, might be really exciting.

post #7 of 15 Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 PM
919 City Pilot

Yo space....are you running a red with carbon exh set? I seen a 919 on Cameno seco yesterday.... dont see to many here in Tucson/

post #8 of 15 Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Yo Pegjump'! Not me, but that might have been my bud. He has a red with carbon mufflers, lives out east too..... Wears a white helmet and red and white honda jacket?

We do lunch runs to tombstone, bizbee, Mt lemmon. Gonna explore Tucson Mt park this weekend. Would be honored if you would come riding with us sometime.

Update:

The bike is up, wheel is off (much easier than i thought) if they have my size tire, the weekend is saved!

post #9 of 15 Old 11-02-2007, 02:23 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Do you honestly think that rear tire with only 400 miles is going to explode just because it has a tiny puncture? Bullchit. You're wasting your money. If it was a Power Pilot, or a SportAttack, or something similar, I'd say send that plugged tire, I'll run it. I've done it before. (Not if it's that junk oem HiSport)

A better investment would have been a centerstand.

post #10 of 15 Old 11-02-2007, 05:32 AM
919 City Pilot

Sounds good....LMK~

post #11 of 15 Old 11-02-2007, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

The shop doesn't have the same tire in stock. (bridgestone BT65R) how critical are tire choices? Am i OK with same size and harder rubber version?

post #12 of 15 Old 11-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Any other tire in the same size should work. There are many opinions on what is the best tire but that is up to the rider. Search around on the forum, there is a ton of riders reviews on tires. You will want to choose something to suit your style. Street tires come in a wide variety from street/track to touring.

post #13 of 15 Old 11-02-2007, 04:56 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

If the tire maker puts ZR on the sidewall, it can't be a joke, it's ZR rated no matter who or where it's made. A tire this well made isn't going to explode if it's not pumped up to 90psi and boiled till it blows. I've not been able to find the 180x55 in a lessor tire.
The BMW I bought had a repair kit from the factory with heart shaped plugs that can't com out. I'm not afraid of a well made plug kit. But, I don't use the sticky ropes at WalMart. I bet if you buy a new tire and leave your old one to be re-cycled, that tire will be on some mechanics bike after you ride off feeling safe.

[
post #14 of 15 Old 11-02-2007, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I bet if you buy a new tire and leave your old one to be re-cycled, that tire will be on some mechanics bike after you ride off feeling safe.
LOL. yup, i was thinking of taking the old one home just in case, but i have too much crap here already. Probably works fine but ya have to admit the integrety of the material can't be the same, maybe a bit more prone to leaking again than a new tire?

Now for a really dumb question... Those axle bolt spacers that poke thru the seals, the top hat shaped one, and the cylinder one... i forgot to write down which side each one goes on... DOH! Is it top hat on the chain side and the straight one on the brake side?

post #15 of 15 Old 11-02-2007, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

On the road again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode