well, laid mine down today - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 08-28-2006, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

well, laid mine down today

i was wondering if anyone knows where to get a tank for a 05 niner. This chick in a extended cab chevy pulled out in front of me today. All she had to say is am i allright and is there anything we need to do here and then went on with her day. some people. not too much damage done, but did put a nice dent in the tank. don't know if i want to claim it on insurance or not, but hey it might be a good chance to get a custom paint job

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-28-2006, 07:51 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Unfortunately, I laid mine down last week. Was doing around 75 the left side took everything, and my frame sliders were still in the mail. Here is a website I am getting my new parts from. 30% off. A new tank will cost around $400 instead of $636. servicehonda.com It might be a little difficult to navigate around. Let me know if you have any problems.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #3 of 27 Old 08-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

why wouldn't you want to claim it on her insurence????

post #4 of 27 Old 08-28-2006, 08:32 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
I don't have a lot of exp with bike insurance, but with the math; paying a 250 or 500 deductible for a tank with the risk of raising your rates when you renew...you might end up paying a lot more for the tank than just paying out of pocket. On the other hand, if u have been with the insurance company for years and your rates won't raise. Go for it. Especially if you have a 250 deduc and they'll go through the dealership. Just my thoughts.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #5 of 27 Old 08-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
I don't have a lot of exp with bike insurance, but with the math; paying a 250 or 500 deductible for a tank with the risk of raising your rates when you renew...you might end up paying a lot more for the tank than just paying out of pocket. On the other hand, if u have been with the insurance company for years and your rates won't raise. Go for it. Especially if you have a 250 deduc and they'll go through the dealership. Just my thoughts.

insurence must be different there!! here in NC if the accident is the other parties fault their insurence pays and you have no deducible (spelling?)

Also hope your ok!!!

post #6 of 27 Old 08-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
I am confused too. Was it your fault??????
Inquiring minds want to know.

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #7 of 27 Old 08-28-2006, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

she had no insurance. i am starting to think that i would be better off just paying out of pocket. although, i have 5 vehicles and a house with them so i might get a break. we will see

post #8 of 27 Old 08-29-2006, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsumrall View Post
she had no insurance. i am starting to think that i would be better off just paying out of pocket.
If she had no insurance, that is a crime in most US states. If you have comprehensive insurance (not just liability) on your bike, then you can file a claim and pay the deductible. If you have "uninsured motorist" coverage on your bike, that will cover medical expenses resulting from the crash. If you file an uninsured motorist claim, your insurance company will sue the party responsible for the crash, and deny the uninsured motorist claim.

post #9 of 27 Old 08-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Immune

Sorry about your incident. Can try www.mrcycles.com

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!
post #10 of 27 Old 08-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 

That sucks. Did you get a police report? If not it will be a he said, she said deal. I'm sure she will deny the accident anyway.

post #11 of 27 Old 08-29-2006, 01:51 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

First of all, sorry to hear that you dropped your bike. Most importantly, hope you are okay with no injuries.

As far as Insurance goes...if I remember correctly, Mississippi is one of those rather strick states when it comes to rules. If you have Un-Insured motorist coverage, they should cover you for the damage, and they can then arbitrate against said driver who was at fault. As long as it was not your fault, they usually are prohibited by law from raising your rates or marking such an incident against you.

post #12 of 27 Old 08-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Tesserarius

I bet you have no proof that she was even in the vicinity, you didn't hit her so she has no damage, as far as anyone is concerned you simply fell off your bike. Sorry to sound harsh but that's the way it could go to anybody who would have to pay up

post #13 of 27 Old 08-29-2006, 05:01 PM

Yep, if there were no witnesses and a police report wasn't filed you're PMF.

post #14 of 27 Old 08-29-2006, 08:50 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

That sucks, but glad you're OK. This reminds me of an incident I had back in '89, in college. I was riding my Nighthawk around campus and I was about to cross an intersection that clearly had a green. Suddenly, out of nowhere, some chick just steps out to cross the intersection without even looking. At first I thought WTF not expecting her to actually proceed, but sure enough, she kept her stride, just looking straight ahead. I had 2 options: either I lay it down, or I would hit her dead on, because I absolutely had no time to evade. I laid it down, and rolled off as my bike tumbled forward towards the oncoming lane. In fact, my bike went right past her, barely missing her as she jumped back. So as I lay there on the road, road rash aplenty, and as I watched my bike spewing gas out the tank, with bent bars, shifter, broken headlight and signals, and a messed up tank....the only thing this girl had to say (and I'm not kidding, this is her quote) "Didn't you see me walking?" as she continued on her merry way, holding her books to her chest, with her nose in the air, and her torso shifting with each step as if to counter balance each stride she took. A guy in a car behind me came to my aid, and before I knew it, she had disappeared.

I had to push my bike almost 2 miles back to my dorm, with asphalt filled pizza elbows and knees, just to add insult to injury.

Anyway, you can probably get your tank fixed for less than the deductible, but double check everything, even though it seems to be a minor drop.

post #15 of 27 Old 08-30-2006, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919
I had 2 options: either I lay it down, or I would hit her dead on, because I absolutely had no time to evade.
I hope that by now you realize that "lay it down" was not a good option. You can't steer or brake after you "lay it down".

post #16 of 27 Old 08-30-2006, 08:15 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb919 View Post
I hope that by now you realize that "lay it down" was not a good option. You can't steer or brake after you "lay it down".
Call it inexperience (and a different era with different attitudes...17+ years ago). I hit the brakes (locked the rear...big no no with a heavy bike on small tires by today's standards), as I tried to steer away from her. Consequently, I layed it down because I knew I would hit her if I kept my course.

post #17 of 27 Old 08-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Brain stolen again?

Here we go with the lay it down, don't lay it down argument again. Sorry about the whole sitch, mdsumrall. I like your remaining calm, dood!

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #18 of 27 Old 08-30-2006, 10:59 AM

Hey, bigdaa: we're not arguing. (...unless someone wants to claim that they can really steer or brake better with the bike on its side. I'd be happy to argue against that position if I had the time.)

post #19 of 27 Old 08-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Tesserarius

I just read something saying that it's better to brake as hard as possible, thereby giving the obstacle more time to get out of the way???

post #20 of 27 Old 08-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOBMAN View Post
I just read something saying that it's better to brake as hard as possible, thereby giving the obstacle more time to get out of the way???
That works as long as you don't lock a wheel up. Wheel lockup will make you move much, much faster into that obstacle than you would if you were braking. Even if you still collide, it's better to remain upright and shed as much speed as possible without locking up one of the wheels. This may seem like a no-brainer, but if something is straight ahead of you and you're moving towards it, falling off will still make you move towards the object. Your forward trajectory is only stopped by friction, either your tires on the road (hopefully, being slowed by brakes) or your body on the pavement. I prefer to have my tires slow me down.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #21 of 27 Old 08-30-2006, 11:30 AM
teufelchen

*Start hijack* How many 919 owners had a CB700SC Nighthawk at one point? So far two: me and Rob919. there should be more, given that most 919 owners are old enough to know the nighthawk.....*end hijack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
That sucks, but glad you're OK. This reminds me of an incident I had back in '89, in college. I was riding my Nighthawk around campus and I was about to cross an intersection that clearly had a green. Suddenly, out of nowhere, some chick just steps out to cross the intersection without even looking. At first I thought WTF not expecting her to actually proceed, but sure enough, she kept her stride, just looking straight ahead. I had 2 options: either I lay it down, or I would hit her dead on, because I absolutely had no time to evade. I laid it down, and rolled off as my bike tumbled forward towards the oncoming lane. In fact, my bike went right past her, barely missing her as she jumped back. So as I lay there on the road, road rash aplenty, and as I watched my bike spewing gas out the tank, with bent bars, shifter, broken headlight and signals, and a messed up tank....the only thing this girl had to say (and I'm not kidding, this is her quote) "Didn't you see me walking?" as she continued on her merry way, holding her books to her chest, with her nose in the air, and her torso shifting with each step as if to counter balance each stride she took. A guy in a car behind me came to my aid, and before I knew it, she had disappeared.

I had to push my bike almost 2 miles back to my dorm, with asphalt filled pizza elbows and knees, just to add insult to injury.

Anyway, you can probably get your tank fixed for less than the deductible, but double check everything, even though it seems to be a minor drop.

post #22 of 27 Old 09-01-2006, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
Unfortunately, I laid mine down last week. Was doing around 75 the left side took everything, and my frame sliders were still in the mail. Here is a website I am getting my new parts from. 30% off. A new tank will cost around $400 instead of $636. servicehonda.com It might be a little difficult to navigate around. Let me know if you have any problems.
thanks for the info

post #23 of 27 Old 09-01-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

I would have not laid it down if there was anyway around it, but she pulled out in front of me at the last minute. Not to mention she was driving an chevy with a cab and a long bed. was not going but about 20, so not too much damage was done. I was lucky i did not even get a scratch. live and learn.

post #24 of 27 Old 09-01-2006, 06:58 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Live and learn is what it's all about. We can debate this and debate that, but it just comes down to experience.

post #25 of 27 Old 09-01-2006, 06:59 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

My bike was a 650 Nighthawk. I loved my bike, but it was always the Nighthawk S that I wanted.

post #26 of 27 Old 09-01-2006, 07:04 PM

I had a '91 CB750 Nighthawk....

post #27 of 27 Old 09-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I'm so sad, im selling my 93 nighthawk tommorow!!! im getting a good price for it though only 200 less then what i paid for it and i put like 6000 miles on it. But its depressing cause im taking off my renthals from the night hawk but good news is im putting them on the 9er

tonight is a sad night but it will be a good night tommorow when i have that cash in my hand and money to buy some satos and rizzoma stuff hahaha!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode