Weird noises from the 9er - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Weird noises from the 9er

Ok, the 2nd "weird noise" thread for the day. Mine just recently started making weird noises, mostly when the bike isn't fully warmed up, at low RPM (3000 or so), only when under load. (Yea, yea, this sounds similar to that other thread). Mine isn't a tapping noise, however, more of a rattling, grinding, choking type noise. Again, only under load, not when I rev the engine, and it disappears around 4k RPM or so. Sounds like it's from the engine, not transmission. Should I be concerned? It's just about right at 8k miles.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Make sure your chain is adjusted right and well maintained, I usally clean and lube about every 3-4 tanks of gas. Might not be the problem but wont hurt to do anyways, str8

post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

When I first started to ride my 919, I noticed a noise like the one you describe. Over time, I don't know if it's diminished, or I'm getting used to it, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

I suspect what we're hearing is valve chain slap and the tensioner doing it's thing.

Now, I'm anal about these kinds of things and if i've learned to live with it, so can you.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelnick View Post
Ok, the 2nd "weird noise" thread for the day. Mine just recently started making weird noises, mostly when the bike isn't fully warmed up, at low RPM (3000 or so), only when under load. (Yea, yea, this sounds similar to that other thread). Mine isn't a tapping noise, however, more of a rattling, grinding, choking type noise. Again, only under load, not when I rev the engine, and it disappears around 4k RPM or so. Sounds like it's from the engine, not transmission. Should I be concerned? It's just about right at 8k miles.
Sounds like the signature 919 2500-4000 RPM headlight ring/bucket buzz.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #5 of 7 Old 09-10-2007, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
When I first started to ride my 919, I noticed a noise like the one you describe. Over time, I don't know if it's diminished, or I'm getting used to it, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

I suspect what we're hearing is valve chain slap and the tensioner doing it's thing.

Now, I'm anal about these kinds of things and if i've learned to live with it, so can you.
I'd buy that, but is it weird that it just recently started happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Sounds like the signature 919 2500-4000 RPM headlight ring/bucket buzz.
So a tightening or something may be in order? I'm thinking this isn't the issue, just because the sound really appears to be coming from the engine, not in front of the bike...who knows tho...

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #6 of 7 Old 09-10-2007, 11:41 AM

A few years ago I rode a CBR, and the CBR motors (just about all years it seemed, but appeared to be more common on the F4i) were notorious for the cam chain tensioner lifter (CCTL) having issues after a few thousand miles and having to be replaced to eliminate the noise. It would make a horrible rattling sound between 4000-6000 RPM. I haven't really heard anything about that problem on the 919 motor, but I suppose it could be possible and maybe something to look into.

Here's an example: http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/205481.aspx

post #7 of 7 Old 09-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

I have just started noticing what I am guessing is the same thing. The bike is a couple weeks old with less the 400mi. When it is still cold there is a rattly type noise from 2500 to a little over 3000rpm. After it is good and warm I can't really hear it anymore. Same deal with needing to be under load to hear it. I guess I will check the headlight but like cmelnick it sounds more from the engine.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode