Weird front sproket chain question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 05-23-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Stink Blade

Weird front sproket chain question

Hey I have a 17 tooth front sprocket with OEM chain. 17 tooth was installed when the chain was brand new. I removed the cover to clean the gunk from behind front sprocket cover and while I was at it tried to loosen the nut on the front sprocket as sometime soon I will replace the chain and go back to a 16 tooth. I did not force the nut but did notice it had some slight slack the way the sprocket was seated so I tightened the nut. The sprocket is on tight no slack. Now when I roll the bike I hear the chain links making a slight clunking sound over the front sprocket. I never heard that before. I checked chain tension and have proper slack. 17K mile on the chain sprockets. Did I do something wrong ? Why I am I hearing this chain noise now. I test drove the bike and the final drive is ok. Nothing that is wrong just these noises that are driving me crazy. Does the oem chain suck or what ? Or am I not doing something the right way ? Lots of chain noise when you ride. Maybe because I am used to a belt drive. The chain is clean no rust and lubed with white lithium grease. Please hit me back with your feedback thoughts comments ect. Thanks !!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

From what I remember, the bolt/ washer actually seat against the end of the output shaft, and there is a small tolerance for the sprocket itself to wiggle, depending on how tight the splines mate up. I wouldn't recommend loosening the bolt up and operating it, but instead checking the alignment and wear on the chain and sprockets. 17k miles is a pretty decent amount on the stock chain, and it might be due for a replacement or a good cleaning/inspection/lube.

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-23-2016, 10:52 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Yeah 17k is past life expectancy for an oem chain. In my experience (with proper chain care) the front sprocket is the first component to show wear. I recently encountered the same noise and popped on a like new front sprocket and it's quiet as a kitten again. But I'm running a 11,000# tensile EK chain. In your case though I'd go ahead and replace the set.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

The stock 16 tooth OEM sprocket has a rubber bumper attached to it's face. The chain touches this bumper and helps to reduce noise. If you replace parts I'd suggest buying a sprocket with the bumper. In addition to OEM I think AFAM (aftermarket supplier) also offers a sprocket with this feature. (I have not looked to see if they offer the 919 sprocket with the bumper.) The rubber bumper really does quiet down the chain whine.
The OEM arrangement results in the sprocket being clamped securely to the shaft. No endplay (or wiggle) of the sprocket. Some aftermarket sprockets have a thinner hub and the sprocket will then not clamp down securely. Some folks will say that's ok but it doesn't make sense to me and it's not the way Honda designed it.
If your sprocket has been running loose and then you tightened it, that certainly could result in some noise. And if you tightened up the slack that could make it noisy. You should run the chain on the loose end of spec. IMO
The chain will also be noisier when it's worn. As Ken suggested - it might be time for a replacement.

post #5 of 6 Old 05-31-2016, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Stink Blade

Hey I was looking at the JT sprockets and JT Xring chain. I use the 919 as a daily commuter back and forth to work and the majority of riding is twisty back roads. I cleaned the dirt and grease behind the front sprocket cover. Seems to me the sludge was acting like a sound damper. I cleaned the track on top of the swing arm and went around all areas of chain with marvel mystery oil which really cleaned up the chain. The first couple of rides was very noisy from chain and now its quiet again. Yeah Ken I will replace all sprockets and go with the stock configuration for sprockets. I will see if JT sprockets offers that rubber damper Mark was talking about and if not will check with the local Honda stealer. That damper I suppose goes on first cause I don't see it on the outside of this 17 tooth front sprocket that PO had. Thanks again for all the great feedback.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-01-2016, 01:22 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Remember tensile strength is king for maximizing chain life. I wouldn't put anything with less than 10k # on a 919. I have not found that the rubber damped front sprocket makes any difference in noise - certainly not enough to pay double for. I have had good luck using a thin spacer behind the retaining washer to snug up an aftermarket sprocket.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode