Watch your backs! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 05-28-2006, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
'02-919

Angry Watch your backs!

I'm already at work this morning and thought I give y'all something to chew on. Give your selves plenty of space in front of you at stop lights and watch your mirrors like hawks. Yes, some cager rear ended my beautiful baby 9er with only 1,991 miles on her! It knocked me forward about 4 ft and scared me to death though I didn't drop it. Now my bikes in the shop for all of race weekend and memorial day! S. O. B.! I'm lucky enough not to have been hurt and the bike will be alright as soon as she gets a new rear axle, bearings, dust seal, and tire. Could have been much worse.....

Bottom line: Be careful out there and watch your backs!
peace.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footastic02
I'm already at work this morning and thought I give y'all something to chew on. Give your selves plenty of space in front of you at stop lights and watch your mirrors like hawks. Yes, some cager rear ended my beautiful baby 9er with only 1,991 miles on her! It knocked me forward about 4 ft and scared me to death though I didn't drop it. Now my bikes in the shop for all of race weekend and memorial day! S. O. B.! I'm lucky enough not to have been hurt and the bike will be alright as soon as she gets a new rear axle, bearings, dust seal, and tire. Could have been much worse.....

peace.
Was the car on wet roads?.. slid into you? or just a moron on her cell phone while doing her nails while sipping her coffee while changing the station while fixing her make-up?

The MD Wright turn signal integrator adds a rapid flashing light while braking, and installs easily on a Honda 919 or any motorcycle with two tail light bulbs. I am more than sure it has helped me not become a hood ornament a couple times.

Good to hear you are okay!... even better to hear the 9er survived with only minor damage and didn't end up on her side. Would have made me so freakin' pissed.. that's for sure!

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #3 of 30 Old 05-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Glad you're okay and I know your glad you didn't drop it. Make sure they check the swingarm bearings, too.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 30 Old 05-28-2006, 05:45 AM

Glad ur alright man! That scares the hell out of me at stop lights. Good luck with the repairs.

post #5 of 30 Old 05-28-2006, 06:06 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

A freind of mine got hit the sameway flipped him and his new FZR into the middle of the road.He was telling me that as he flew though the air he was thinking "My bike My bike then he relized that the bike was above him and most likly going to land on him.So now his train of thought changes To My bike! My bike! as he is trying to push it away.He got out from under it before it hey hit the ground.He was roughed up and the bike was wasted.We where just about to break the 600 mile mark on his,trying to get to the first sevr so he could ride it a little harder.Yeah that sucked but his insurance got him a new one (the driver had none).Took a long time for him to get a bike back and even longer to get him to quit running red lights!

post #6 of 30 Old 05-28-2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho
The MD Wright turn signal integrator adds a rapid flashing light while braking, and installs easily on a Honda 919 or any motorcycle with two tail light bulbs.!
I really like that integrator kit, MC. Would it be the cbr600 kit that would best fit the 919? I am not sure if I understand what they are saying on the site about "custom installation". Does that mean that those particular bikes listed require more fiddling to install than others?

I suppose I can contact the company on tuesday and ask them about it... Looks like a great safety feature.

post #7 of 30 Old 05-28-2006, 09:42 AM

I never "relax" until I have atleast 2 cars stopped behind me and 3 cars if the car behind me is too close. Always know where traffic is around you at all times and have an escape route in mind.

post #8 of 30 Old 05-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Not so Rookie Anymore

Same Sentiments

Glad to hear that you came out unscathed (at least physically). It's amazing how many crazy drivers there are out on the road. If anything, riding a bike has made me a better driver all around because I'm a lot more aware of "all" hazards... not just the ones you worry about when you're in a car...

Hope this is your one and only...

Stig

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
post #9 of 30 Old 05-28-2006, 11:14 AM

This bothers me. I consider myself to be a very good driver, and I had one momentary lapse in concentration and rearended a car. Could just have easily hit me on my bike. I'm fairly certain I'm in at least the 80th percentile as far as good driving habits go, yet all it takes is a little, tiny lapse for disaster to strike. Tally that up with getting hit by a car, and I find it very hard to trust any other driver on the road. Love my bike, but I can't afford track days and no longer think riding it is worth my health/life, so there'll probably be a 919 on ebay here before too long.

post #10 of 30 Old 05-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

bigassberta,
If you want someone to talk you out of motorcycling I'm not your guy. We all make mistakes, and hopefully learn. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. But if it does, then.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 30 Old 05-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim
bigassberta,
If you want someone to talk you out of motorcycling I'm not your guy. We all make mistakes, and hopefully learn. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. But if it does, then.
all i can add to that, having been riding a bike for 27 years - if you die, you die doing something you love. st. peter at them pearly gates better RECOGNIZE.

post #12 of 30 Old 05-29-2006, 10:58 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I had some lady try to butt-ram me in Malibu back in the 70's on my CL350. I saw her coming, moved over to the shoulder and she completely skidded through where I was sitting and looked over at me as if to say "Oops. My mistake"

Btw, Many happies to you, foot, for being not much worse for the wear. Figure that if you didn't get mashed, that's totally OK and what happened to the bike is secondary(notice I didn't say "It's ok" because it ain't. It's just secondary)

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #13 of 30 Old 05-29-2006, 11:18 AM
919 City Pilot

I was sitting at a red light in my new Nissan Truck a few years ago.....I saw the lady coming way to fast on her cell phone, all I had time for was to cringe.....messed up my back pretty good for a while...Im sure if I was on a cycle I would have been in ICU for a few weeks..........

post #14 of 30 Old 05-29-2006, 11:28 AM

Watch your mirrors, and keep it in gear until you know the car behind you is stopped. Always plan a way out.

post #15 of 30 Old 05-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Immune

Sucks about your bike. Glad your ok.. did the Cager get a ticket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footastic02

peace.

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!
post #16 of 30 Old 05-29-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jratbike
Watch your mirrors, and keep it in gear until you know the car behind you is stopped. Always plan a way out.
There doesn't really seem like much of a way out when you are about to get pinned from behind and there is cross-traffic 10 feet in front of you... Some scenarios are unavoidable on a bike and you probably have to just find comfort in the statistical unlikelihood of getting injured. Even though it probably isn't as unlikely as we all would like to think.

post #17 of 30 Old 05-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortonomics
There doesn't really seem like much of a way out when you are about to get pinned from behind and there is cross-traffic 10 feet in front of you... Some scenarios are unavoidable on a bike and you probably have to just find comfort in the statistical unlikelihood of getting injured. Even though it probably isn't as unlikely as we all would like to think.
True, dat.

post #18 of 30 Old 05-30-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortonomics
In front of the car in the next lane over is always an option. The sidewalk. The ditch. Lane splitting between the cars. ANYTHING is better then sitting there and saying, "Well I can't get out of this one." Get off the bike and run if you have to. Just don't give in and become a statistic at the NHTSA.

post #19 of 30 Old 05-30-2006, 08:04 AM

true dat.

I suppose dropping the bike and running is an option. I better get some frame sliders....

post #20 of 30 Old 05-30-2006, 09:25 AM

FYI, Read the Hurt report on the probability of getting hit from the rear. If I remember correctly it's a very small percentage of the number of total intersection crashes, and crashes in general.

Although it happens, and it sucks to get whacked from the rear, there are a whole bunch of other higher probability things to watch for.

post #21 of 30 Old 05-30-2006, 09:58 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I keep my eyes on the rear view, with the bike in gear, and when I see a car approaching I activate the foot brake off and on in a deliberate systematic manner. Also, if I'm first at the light, I keep almost a car's length between me and the line, so I can move up quickly and/or evade right or left with a little clear pavement ahead. After the cager stops behind me, I move up closer to the line.

post #22 of 30 Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

So sorry to here you were hit,but at least you are ok. The bike can always be fixed.

I always tap my brakes lightly when i'm coming to a stop. If there is a car far behind me and i am already stopped then i wait for them to come near me somewhat and start tapping my brakes again until they have stopped behind me.

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #23 of 30 Old 05-30-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
'02-919

I had a really long weekend working and monday I was down all day with a hang over. (That's why I haven't replied till now) Thanks to all for the well wishes. The bad thing is that the parts aren't in yet, so there is still an empty space in the garage and it's gorgeous outside. There wasn't any police involved so the guy didn't get a ticket or anything. I almost started to berate the guy and ask him what the [email protected]# he was looking at but he looked even more scared than I felt, sooo I let it go. He's supposed to give me the cash tomorrow. All your advice is much appreciated and I am thinking about a brighter brake light. It's hard enough for me to keep myself from pushing the bike harder than my skills can take me let alone crap like this. Any way stay safe and have fun, I'll be back out there asap!

post #24 of 30 Old 05-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Glad you're ok Foot, hopefully you'll be back up and running in no time!

post #25 of 30 Old 05-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Removed User 1

I glad to hear you are well.

My wife is a lousy driver so I keep her in mind and that keeps me very alert. Just knowing that she could be the one pulling up behind me really keeps me on my toes.

post #26 of 30 Old 05-31-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jratbike
FYI, Read the Hurt report on the probability of getting hit from the rear. If I remember correctly it's a very small percentage of the number of total intersection crashes, and crashes in general.

Although it happens, and it sucks to get whacked from the rear, there are a whole bunch of other higher probability things to watch for.
The HURT report is a great read but it only takes one incident to put you in the hospital. Don't over look any of the possibilties because the statistics say that a car turning left in front of you is more probable.

post #27 of 30 Old 05-31-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNinja
So sorry to here you were hit,but at least you are ok. The bike can always be fixed.

I always tap my brakes lightly when i'm coming to a stop. If there is a car far behind me and i am already stopped then i wait for them to come near me somewhat and start tapping my brakes again until they have stopped behind me.
I do the same thing. Good technique! I also tap my front brake lever when I'm engine braking.

post #28 of 30 Old 05-31-2006, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
'02-919

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider
I do the same thing. Good technique! I also tap my front brake lever when I'm engine braking.
Oh man I know this seems like a gimme, but I NEVER thought of that. Makes me wonder what else I'm not doing. Maybe I'll take the ABATE course again.

post #29 of 30 Old 05-31-2006, 03:13 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

+1

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #30 of 30 Old 07-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I find myself cringing at the lights sometimes as I watch cars fly up behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa
I had some lady try to butt-ram me

Was this 'her'?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode