WA State Highway-20 video from the 9er - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

WA State Highway-20 video from the 9er

Here's a little vid I put together of my trip through North Cascade Loop (Highway 20) back in May.

Check it out.

Nice $35 mount, bolts right onto the gas tank. Took a little fiddling with to get the video to not shake so much. Also good to have a wide angle lens since it sits so close to the gauge cluster.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....

Nice video..

That is a great stretch of road. Been over it many times.

post #3 of 18 Old 09-23-2009, 07:53 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Very cool! I have to admit I was a bit nervous watching you hit over 100 on roads with snow piled on the shoulders!

post #4 of 18 Old 09-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Mc 9er

awesome video.

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #5 of 18 Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 PM
4 whls good 2 whls better

Beautiful run. What camera is that? I just ordered (link): Amazon.com: ATC2K Waterproof Action Cam: Electronics

Don't know if the angle will be wide enough - here's hoping. Figure I'll lash the camera to the forks somehow.

post #6 of 18 Old 09-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Immune

Awesome video , what were you looking at (2:28) that made you pull so far to the right, for a second I thought you were going to hit the side of the mountain

post #7 of 18 Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Sb, wasn't too worried about ice being on the road. This stretch of highway only opens from late March/early April until I believe... late Oct. But when it does open, the temperatures never dip below 40 at night and the roads are cleaned to the point where it eases the mind a bit. I couldn't recall any moment where there were rocks/gravel around. Not too much traffic either, a real motorcycle haven! Now taking a spill and hitting the ice...well, that's another story. There's also the drop offs on the right with no railings...

Star, I was using a Panasonic PVGS70 camcorder. And I just used a video editing software on my PC to chop up the vid and add a soundtrack.

I think a fork mounted camera would make great video! I'd mount it right above the fender so you can have a reference of the bike to the road, maybe the wheel?

My next mounting spots (if I ever get around to doing it ) would be on the frame slider. And also the rear passenger footpeg facing back. I couldn't use the camcorder on those spots, so a small digi cam will do. But I'll be using this mount >> link. $13 mount. Those two mounting spots also make a great view of the suspension travel on the front wheel and the rear wheel. I always thought it was cool watching the wheels go up and down with the contours of the road.

As for the camera mount I used on the actual video, here's what it is.

Mantel, I got distracted by glacier lake to the left over the lookout. You can tell I'm distracted from 2:15. Not the best idea with those turns, but if you could see it, man you'd understand.

post #8 of 18 Old 09-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Imaginifer

excellent! Got my adrenaline going just watching it!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-05-2009, 03:03 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Cool video, and yes that is an amazing highway!! A few years ago I did it one weekend in the car so I experience the scenery a bit (absolutely stunning!), and then did it again the next weekend on the bike to experience 'the ride'! I giggled like a little girl on some of those 120mph sweepers located about 20-30 miles west of Winthrop! WAY TOO MUCH FUN on a bike!

post #10 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

heads up on the oregon cameras, the sound BLOWS!!! good quality pics, but without the ability to view exactly what you are vidding, is a bitch

post #11 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 06:32 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Beautiful run. What camera is that? I just ordered (link): Amazon.com: ATC2K Waterproof Action Cam: Electronics

Don't know if the angle will be wide enough - here's hoping. Figure I'll lash the camera to the forks somehow.
the above thread is for you dude

post #12 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
heads up on the oregon cameras, the sound BLOWS!!!
I can confirm this from my driving around this weekend with my Oregon Scientific camera (ACT2K) on the same tank mount that andrew was using. Liked the video pretty well.

Point 1: Some web-searching gets me the info that the reason the sound is so awful is that Oregon worked really hard to make the camera waterproof. For me, if my motorcycle camera is underwater, really, the camera is probably the least of my problems.

Point 2: To fix the audio (however much) requires removing the panel on the bottom of the camera and removing the rubber membrane over the microphone. Easy, right? Well, no, because the panel is attached with triangle-head screws. Criminy. Ebay had some folks in Hong Kong who claimed to have the right $3 screwdriver.

Point 3: The Oregon camera gets a weird, swimming sort of effect from the bike's vibrations. It's fine once you're moving, but disconcerting at rest.

Point 4: There no really good way to mount the Oregon camera to that tank mount. I ended up Mickey-Mousing it using the handlebar mount. Seems solid enough.

post #13 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Hey Starman, by chance did you happen to sell a stainless steel brake line kit with a machmoto holder sometime in the last 3 months down at Federal Way? Your bike looks familiar...

post #14 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

nice!!! and did you see all the pretty white sand all over the shoulders and the mountains.... sweet....

post #15 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Hey Starman, by chance did you happen to sell a stainless steel brake line kit with a machmoto holder sometime in the last 3 months down at Federal Way? Your bike looks familiar...
No, but I saw those items come up on Craig's List at the time. Probably should've bought them myself.

I live up in the big city. Bright lights, fast women, that sort of thing.

post #16 of 18 Old 10-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
nice!!! and did you see all the pretty white sand all over the shoulders and the mountains.... sweet....
Yes there's some 25 feet of it in places. It's quite strange as this sand tends to weep "water" when it warms up..

The "holy crap" moment is at 4:21 for me is the first truck / RV out of the two that is passed. I honestly believe is my Dad. Everything looks right and I watched that part at least ten times.. And according to the wife, they were up in May..

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the old Man.. And a good on you for passing the slow bastard. He can't do the speed limit on a good day with his good eye.

post #17 of 18 Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Border, if that's the case, then it is definitely a small world after all. I'll see if I can find the tape and watch it on the tube. Might be able to get you a plate #. Unless you're for sure?

post #18 of 18 Old 10-07-2009, 04:58 AM
no max no more

enjoyed the vid

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode