Vibration / buzzing sound at high RPM's - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Vibration / buzzing sound at high RPM's

Since I've had my 919 I'm getting an annoying buzzing/vibrating sound at a certain range in the high RPM's, from around 7k to 8k. Before and after that, there's no buzzing, which I guess means that the part in question is vibrating at that specific frequency. It's only noticeable in first gear, above that the wind noise drowns it out.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to go about tracking it down. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

headlight bezel more than likely

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #3 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i have been trying to find the source of the same buzz.... i have done all sorts of rubber insulation on the headlight.... as well as strapping all the wires together so they dont vibrate etc etc.... i dunno what it is haha.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

hmm... I might just go after the bike with a couple tubes of silicon caulking to see if that helps

post #5 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I assume it does it with the bike stationary too? If so it may be easier to localize the noise. I had an annoying vibe that was the windscreen vibrating against the gages. I put some little rubber bumpers in between and it went away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1031.jpg (194.3 KB, 5 views)

post #6 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 05:25 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
i have been trying to find the source of the same buzz.... i have done all sorts of rubber insulation on the headlight.... as well as strapping all the wires together so they dont vibrate etc etc.... i dunno what it is haha.

ok, so we're on the same page your checkin' the silver ring around the lens? not the outer one, correct?

also check the levers,ur keys and the $64,000 question...do ya have givi crash bars(either of ya)? if so on the bar under the oil filter check the spacer the bolt goes thru. mine buzzed like killer bee swarm!!

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #7 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 05:34 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
$64,000 question...do ya have givi crash bars(either of ya)? if so on the bar under the oil filter check the spacer the bolt goes thru. mine buzzed like killer bee swarm!!
yup, mine is doing that right now

post #8 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
+1! Damn silicone let go...

post #9 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
ok, so we're on the same page your checkin' the silver ring around the lens? not the outer one, correct?

also check the levers,ur keys and the $64,000 question...do ya have givi crash bars(either of ya)? if so on the bar under the oil filter check the spacer the bolt goes thru. mine buzzed like killer bee swarm!!

yup.... i put a nice layer of clear rtv silicone around the bezzle that goes around the glass of the headlight... as well as electrical tape on the plastic housing for the light where it meets the major ring.

Also clear silicone dobs on the radiator guard.

Its probably my levers clutch has some up and down freeplay.... but it sounds like it comes from everywhere on the bike.... honestly i have given up trying to find it.

No no crash bars and exhaust mount is in tact.

post #10 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 06:11 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
no wait, mine was the splice on the bars. i ground the bolt spacer a little and it's all byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
yup.... i put a nice layer of clear rtv silicone around the bezzle that goes around the glass of the headlight... as well as electrical tape on the plastic housing for the light where it meets the major ring.

Also clear silicone dobs on the radiator guard.

Its probably my levers clutch has some up and down freeplay.... but it sounds like it comes from everywhere on the bike.... honestly i have given up trying to find it.

No no crash bars and exhaust mount is in tact.
in your case i hear too much sun causes "ringing in the ears" either that or the "screw loose" every one has been telling you for years

post #11 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
in your case i hear too much sun causes "ringing in the ears" either that or the "screw loose" every one has been telling you for years
what are you talking about? he IS the loose screw

post #12 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Batman

Was an answer found? I was also going to suggest the rubber grommits for the exhaust shields, thats where my buzz came from...must have fallen off after i got the tins powder coated

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode