Vibration around 2500rpm. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 10-12-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Vibration around 2500rpm.

Another vibe thread, question. My new chain has 5 000km's or 3125 mi on so far. I adjusted the chain last week for the first time and went for a nice ride in the hills with a few friends. Commuting during the week and since Friday, I have noticed a resonating type vibration going up or down around the 2500rpm mark, coming from the rear 9or so it feels). I adjusted my chain again last night, but its not really any better. I am pretty confident the whell is aligned and axle tightened to spec.

Any ideas apart from muffler bearings and indicator fluid?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

If you didn't use a metric crescent wrench to tighten the axle nut, you will have had a different turn rate, and therefore your axle isn't tightened to spec. They are hard to come by. Other than that, no clue

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #3 of 21 Old 10-12-2010, 12:31 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Who spends time at 2,500 RPM. Double your revs and you should be fine.

Did the vibration happen right after the adjustment or did you feel it before?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #4 of 21 Old 10-12-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Who spends time at 2,500 RPM. Double your revs and you should be fine.

Did the vibration happen right after the adjustment or did you feel it before?
No, its just a concern I have when I slow down or idle around the suburbs, just as I am approaching my destination, corner, etc. in "relaxed mode".

I started to notice it last Friday, about a week after the adjustment. I'm putting it down to possibly the adjustment as that's the only thing that has changed that I am aware of.

post #5 of 21 Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Pilus Posterior

Chain too tight maybe? Back it off a fraction and see what happens. Also worth string lining the wheels to check alignment.

Did you change sprockets as well? If not they may be more worn than you think or if you did check the nuts are all tight.

An oddity with the (well my) 919 is when the chain gets a bit loose - i.e. ready for adjustment I notice often when taking off under low throttle, releasing the clutch I get a 'judder' - at first I though it was a rooted clutch but the kms were so low. No - a chain adjustment fixed it!

And it is a fine line between being 100% fine and needing a very minor adjustment - just a tiny tweak fixes it. Weird, but I know of other NZ riders who have the same oddity.

On the bright side I find the chain requires very little adjustment.

post #6 of 21 Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

I thought it may bee too loose, but I guess too tight can also cause a resonating vibe.

New sprokets done with chain. I'll check both front and rear sprockets. Its an RK X-ring chain, fyi.

My indication that a chain adjust is due, is clunky gear changes.

post #7 of 21 Old 10-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Pilus Posterior

It may also be the lack of the rubber damper on the front sprocket that the stock set-up has. I presume Honda sneaked that in for a reason.

post #8 of 21 Old 10-12-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
It may also be the lack of the rubber damper on the front sprocket that the stock set-up has. I presume Honda sneaked that in for a reason.
Hey? I didn't notice and rubber dampener system on the front OEM sprocket when taking it off.

post #9 of 21 Old 10-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
If you didn't use a metric crescent wrench to tighten the axle nut, you will have had a different turn rate, and therefore your axle isn't tightened to spec. They are hard to come by. Other than that, no clue
hahahahahaha!

My stupidity begs the question - can a pre-threaded nut actually have a different turn rate? "tightness" referring to foot or inch pounds, correct?

Somewhere in my mine I'm reminded of the shelf-stretcher we always were looking for when I worked at a grocery store as a kid. We were always told it was kept in the elevator or basement.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #10 of 21 Old 10-13-2010, 06:47 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
hahahahahaha!

My stupidity begs the question - can a pre-threaded nut actually have a different turn rate? "tightness" referring to foot or inch pounds, correct?

Somewhere in my mine I'm reminded of the shelf-stretcher we always were looking for when I worked at a grocery store as a kid. We were always told it was kept in the elevator or basement.
Metric tools with different turn rates are kept in the same tool bin as Florescent Bulb Benders. They are usually found on the shelf under Muffler Bearing and Turn Signal Fluid.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Princeps Prior

Put your rear tire up on the stand.....spin the rear wheel and watch were the sprocket teeth are inside the chain. Because of the cush drive the teeth will never be perfectly centered all the time, but if the teeth are always to one side of the chain....you have an alignment problem no matter what your chain adjusters say. When it's right.....the teeth will be in the center for a bit....then a little on the left, then a little on the right....but never always to one side. Poor mans string alignment.

If you didn't swap out for new sprockets when you installed the new chain....the chain is probably toast.

post #12 of 21 Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Resonating up and down kind of illustrates a couple things to me: Chain tight with stretched links. What brand chain?

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #13 of 21 Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
Put your rear tire up on the stand.....spin the rear wheel and watch were the sprocket teeth are inside the chain. Because of the cush drive the teeth will never be perfectly centered all the time, but if the teeth are always to one side of the chain....you have an alignment problem no matter what your chain adjusters say. When it's right.....the teeth will be in the center for a bit....then a little on the left, then a little on the right....but never always to one side. Poor mans string alignment.

If you didn't swap out for new sprockets when you installed the new chain....the chain is probably toast.
Thanks, will check this. Sprockets changed with chain, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Resonating up and down kind of illustrates a couple things to me: Chain tight with stretched links. What brand chain?
Chain & sprockets only 5000km's old. It's an RK X-ring chain.

post #14 of 21 Old 10-17-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post

R$ight, tried all of this. it all checks out as far as I can make out. Even slackened the chain off some more. Still have the vibe there!

post #15 of 21 Old 10-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Pilus Posterior

OK - process of elimination then.

Was the vibe there with the new chain/sprocket when first fitted? sounds like NO from your previous posts.

If not maybe something relating to the adjustment?

Where is the vibration felt? bars, pegs, seat, tank?

- First thing I'd check now is the front sprocket bolt is on tight, followed by the rear sprocket nuts.

post #16 of 21 Old 10-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Why not?

If it were me and none of the suggestion that have been offered are working, it would be time for a little bike TLC. I don’t know haw many miles you bike has, but as you ride bolts and things naturally loosen up. So if I were you I would start at one end of my bike and work all the way to the other checking the torque of all the bolts. It could be purely coincidental that you adjusted your chain and the vibration occurred. It could be something completely different. That is what I would do if nothing else is working.

post #17 of 21 Old 10-17-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Allan:

Everything was smooth up untill about week ago, after i had adjusted it.
Vibration is felt via seat and "body: of the bike, coming from the rear.
I have already checked the front sprocket twice.

Redneck:

Good suggetion, will check it out. The bike has 43000 km's (27k miles) on the clock.

post #18 of 21 Old 10-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Pilus Posterior

Also check the chain joining link - just in case something weird is going on there.

Oh - and totally unrelated to the chain, but check the exhaust mount under the engine - some have cracked at the mounting point and the first sign is usually vibration.

post #19 of 21 Old 10-17-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Oh - and totally unrelated to the chain, but check the exhaust mount under the engine - some have cracked at the mounting point and the first sign is usually vibration.
Got it! Thanks Allan!

post #20 of 21 Old 10-17-2010, 03:04 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Check the bolts that secure the exaust cans, I had mine loosten up on me after I had them out to mount Givi parts, I locktited the heck out of them and they still backed out on me.

post #21 of 21 Old 10-17-2010, 05:54 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

For future incursions into chain replacement, may I highly suggest D.I.D. and their most Excellent ERV's. I will never, ever buy another brand outside D.I.D. They make my 'drive-train-weenie' hard and useful.

I believe there are others here who, like Tranya, relish D.I.D.'s as much as I do.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode