valve clearance check - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Discen

valve clearance check

just had the first valve check done at 48000km.

1 2 3 4
29,29 29,30 28,28 28,28

18,19 20,20 18,20 19,19.

all good for a while yet.
also got a set of the pirrelli angel tyres fitted, mmmm feel good

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-18-2012, 02:33 AM
Cornicen

Any need to check the clearances unless you feel the bike not running at its best? Im at close to twice that mileage and have never cracked the case open.

post #3 of 4 Old 01-18-2012, 05:54 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

manual says every 16k miles i dont recall any one adjusting them at that time but not 100% on that. mine checked perfect. if they get loose they will make noise if they get tight (which normally is not the case) it could start to hold the valve open to much and cause a poor running condition could back fire (intake valve held open) or pop from the exhaust more than normal (exhaust held open allowing raw fuel into exhaust) im not sure if the piston could hit the valve in this case in this engine though.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
manual says every 16k miles i dont recall any one adjusting them at that time but not 100% on that. mine checked perfect. if they get loose they will make noise if they get tight (which normally is not the case) it could start to hold the valve open to much and cause a poor running condition could back fire (intake valve held open) or pop from the exhaust more than normal (exhaust held open allowing raw fuel into exhaust) im not sure if the piston could hit the valve in this case in this engine though.
actually tight valves are more common than loose ones in these type of motors. when the valve seat wears down as well as the valve face the valve seats higher in the head.... also the stem stretches from being slamed shut over time. zerod out or tight valves are the one to look for as they can get burned by not closing etc.

that being said.... in the 919 i honestly wouldnt worry too much at 16k mine were all well within spec and i ride the bloody piss out of it, and typically valves dont move much after the initial first thousand mile breakin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode