Valve Adjustment Time - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Newfie

Valve Adjustment Time

It's time to get the valves checked/shimmed again. I called the local dealer and they want like $600, so I am thinking about doing it myself. Anyone have any tips?? Like how to make the cam tensioner tool?? I have the manual and the tools/space. I also have a 3 day weekend coming up next week. I figured I would check the clearances first, then order the specific shims and install the next weekend if necessary.

Any input is appreciated.. except smart a$$ comments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 10:29 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlb63 View Post
It's time to get the valves checked/shimmed again. I called the local dealer and they want like $600, so I am thinking about doing it myself. Anyone have any tips?? Like how to make the cam tensioner tool?? I have the manual and the tools/space. I also have a 3 day weekend coming up next week. I figured I would check the clearances first, then order the specific shims and install the next weekend if necessary.

Any input is appreciated.. except smart a$$ comments
wow! get a quote from another shop if you can. i was quoted around $165 so $600 is a major rip-off.

nonetheless, if you are mechanically inclined its a great learning experience! sorry i'm not much help otherwise as i haven't done it yet myself but plenty of others have and can chime in with useful info.

post #3 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Cornicen

there's checking for clearance and there's blueprinting,
a $200 shop will have it running just fine.
you can screw around finding the exact shims
to get everything perfect but its tedious.
even a $600 shop don't got the time.
i found it difficult to commit on the right "feel"
and thereby the right shim, it took taking a break
and going back alot.
Pvster, did you say you solved the cold start issue?
sorry.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I have done mine twice and will do them a third time this summer sometime. The service manual is pretty good. They were all in spec at 16K, 2 intake slightly out of spec at 32K, so I had to remove one camshaft and shim 2 valves. A few things I can recall.

1) If you can find an extra set of hands it makes it easier to remove and especially re-install the valve cover. You have to put some sealant on the gasket half moons and it's much easier with an extra set of hands.

2) I removed the coolant hoses from the right side (the section with the radiator cap). which makes access much better. Since you are doing that, you may as well completely drain the cooling system and re-fill with new coolant when done.

3) Unmount and tie back both coils out of the way. Be careful as some of the small wires are fragile. I didn't disconnect just moved out of the way.

4) Number the spark plug wires with a Sharpie to make sure you put them back in the right spot.

5) If you are anywhere close to needing new plugs, its a great time to replace. Access to #3 is much easier with everything out of the way.

6) if you want to reduce your downtime, order a shim kit from Hotcams. There used to be a traveling shim kit passed around the forum but it's MIA and had very few sizes.

HONDA CB900F 919 02-04 HOTCAMS HOT CAMS VALVE SHIM KIT | eBay

You will be surprised at how easy it was when you are done. The first time myself and another WT (Basspiece) did both of our bikes in about 3 hours then went for a ride and neither of us had done it before (no shimming tho).

Blood and Guts- Good times!

post #5 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Former 919er

You might chose to consider not bothering:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...eck-28419.html

post #6 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

if you are not in a hurry, simply measure the clearance with your present shims, calculate next size shims where needed and go to your local bike shop to get them individually. Some bike shops will even let you exchange your old shim for new for free.
All set and done, cost can be zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I have done mine twice and will do them a third time this summer sometime. The service manual is pretty good. They were all in spec at 16K, 2 intake slightly out of spec at 32K, so I had to remove one camshaft and shim 2 valves. A few things I can recall.

1) If you can find an extra set of hands it makes it easier to remove and especially re-install the valve cover. You have to put some sealant on the gasket half moons and it's much easier with an extra set of hands.

2) I removed the coolant hoses from the right side (the section with the radiator cap). which makes access much better. Since you are doing that, you may as well completely drain the cooling system and re-fill with new coolant when done.

3) Unmount and tie back both coils out of the way. Be careful as some of the small wires are fragile. I didn't disconnect just moved out of the way.

4) Number the spark plug wires with a Sharpie to make sure you put them back in the right spot.

5) If you are anywhere close to needing new plugs, its a great time to replace. Access to #3 is much easier with everything out of the way.

6) if you want to reduce your downtime, order a shim kit from Hotcams. There used to be a traveling shim kit passed around the forum but it's MIA and had very few sizes.

HONDA CB900F 919 02-04 HOTCAMS HOT CAMS VALVE SHIM KIT | eBay

You will be surprised at how easy it was when you are done. The first time myself and another WT (Basspiece) did both of our bikes in about 3 hours then went for a ride and neither of us had done it before (no shimming tho).

Blood and Guts- Good times!

post #7 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

This topic reminds me of the old adage:

"Slappy valves are happy valves."

Better too loose than too tight.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #8 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
Better too loose than too tight.
Doc
And this is probably the ONLY context in which to apply that statement.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
And this is probably the ONLY context in which to apply that statement.

We can correct that too, but not with shims.

Vaginoplasty, Vaginal Rejuvenation Surgery - Labiaplasty Master Surgery Center of NY NSFW

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #10 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
Reminds me of a joke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode