Valve adjustment check - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 06-05-2006, 06:44 PM
jgrhoades

Question Valve adjustment check

I have a workshop manual and have been trying to find the procedure for checking the valves. I know also there should be tolerances on the shim that your checking. My 04 919 has 15,800 miles and I need to do the 16000 miles service. I also want to do the starter valve syncro while I have the bike down for maintenance. I have been able to find that. Any help with locating the procedure on the valves adjustment check or advice will be highly appreciated.
One more question, about my oil. I have been using Honda GN4 10w-40 SJ since I bought the bike new. I bought a 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R and the original owner was using Castro Syntec 10w-40 synthetic. I stayed with that oil on the ZRX. I was thinking of switching my 919 to the Castro synthetic in order to have both bikes on the same oil to make things easier. Okay or a mistake? Looking for advice from some guys with more experience than me. Thanks alot!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-05-2006, 07:11 PM

THe oil part is easy....any synthetic is good for the motor, dont believe the hype about "burning" up your clutch.

Usually when checking valved you want to bring that cylinder your on to TDC of the Compression stroke, that means ALL valves are closed and you are able to check the tolerances, that the book should have, if not GET A FACTORY MANUAL.

I do not know anything about a starter valve synchro...dotn know what that is to be honest with you. I have done valve adjustment on my 600RR and many of my cars. Good luck alot of guys here are VERY mechanically inclined

post #3 of 11 Old 06-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrhoades
I have a workshop manual and have been trying to find the procedure for checking the valves.
What manual do you have?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 11 Old 06-05-2006, 08:38 PM
jgrhoades

A buddy of mine ordered me one from the UK on cd. It has the Honda logo on it.

post #5 of 11 Old 06-05-2006, 08:48 PM
jgrhoades

Quote:
Originally Posted by envirocbr
THe oil part is easy....any synthetic is good for the motor, dont believe the hype about "burning" up your clutch.

Usually when checking valved you want to bring that cylinder your on to TDC of the Compression stroke, that means ALL valves are closed and you are able to check the tolerances, that the book should have, if not GET A FACTORY MANUAL.

I do not know anything about a starter valve synchro...dotn know what that is to be honest with you. I have done valve adjustment on my 600RR and many of my cars. Good luck alot of guys here are VERY mechanically inclined
I was concerned that having run the motor on conventional Honda oil for 16,000 miles and then switching to synthetic might cause problems. I was hoping it was okay to do that. I ran into someone who had a 2001 FZ1 with 102,000 original miles on their bike. They showed me the odometer. Digital odometer. The person bought the bike new and had been running Mobil 1 synthetic. The valves had never had to be adjusted and they have never had to add oil between changes. They changed the oil every 3000 miles. A little expensive, but still riding the bike with no problems. Clutch change and fork seals. The bike looked great!

post #6 of 11 Old 06-05-2006, 09:53 PM
DropBear 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrhoades
I have a workshop manual and have been trying to find the procedure for checking the valves.
Check section 3-7
That is, chapter 3 (Maintenance)
Section 7 (Valve adjustment)

(if it's the Honda Service Manual you have.. it sounds like it)

Not meaning to sound nasty or put you off having a go, but if you need to ask the question, you may be better off getting a service shop to do it for you, as the valves adjustment is shim based and not merely adjuster screw based.

Now for a display of my own ignorance, what the hell is a starter valve synchro?

post #7 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 05:09 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Valve adjustment- Checking the tolerances is the easy part. More than likely everything will be okay. However if any shims needs to be replaced the cams will have to be pulled. Are you up for this level of maintenance? It's all spelled out in the factory shop manual.

Starter Valve Synchro.- This is similar to the synchronization procedure we perform on carbureted motors. You need a multi Hg (mercury) monometer or a Morgan carb. tune. Once again, are you up for this level of maintenance?

Oil- Any synthetic oil is acceptable as long as it does not have the energy conservation logo on the bottle or jug. Treat your 919 to the best, we are running a group buy on Repsol. https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1212

post #8 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 05:50 AM
DropBear 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142
This is similar to the synchronization procedure we perform on carbureted motors.
Aaahh.. I see.
Oddly enough, I always simply refered to it as "balancing the carbs" , and when someone looks at me odd, I've just said to 'em, "you know what I mean"...
Mind you I've never actually performed the job myself.

bloody amateurs

post #9 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 06:14 AM

I use Motul 5100 15W-50 on the street every 1500 - 2000 miles

and I use Motul 300 15W-50 Synthetic on the track ( I think that is the weight of the oil)

Never had a clutch problem

post #10 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 05:05 PM
jgrhoades

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142
Valve adjustment- Checking the tolerances is the easy part. More than likely everything will be okay. However if any shims needs to be replaced the cams will have to be pulled. Are you up for this level of maintenance? It's all spelled out in the factory shop manual.

Starter Valve Synchro.- This is similar to the synchronization procedure we perform on carbureted motors. You need a multi Hg (mercury) monometer or a Morgan carb. tune. Once again, are you up for this level of maintenance?

Oil- Any synthetic oil is acceptable as long as it does not have the energy conservation logo on the bottle or jug. Treat your 919 to the best, we are running a group buy on Repsol. https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1212
I have never performed this job on my bikes, but I have helped my friend on his ZRX. I was aware that there were shims that you will be replacing if the adjustment is out of tolerance. To answer wether or not I am up to this work is probably a good question! I feel if I can look at good directions, I will be okay. Especially having my ZRX friend there to supervise. He is experienced in balancing carbs. Thanks

post #11 of 11 Old 06-06-2006, 05:06 PM
jgrhoades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropBear 9
Check section 3-7
That is, chapter 3 (Maintenance)
Section 7 (Valve adjustment)

(if it's the Honda Service Manual you have.. it sounds like it)

Not meaning to sound nasty or put you off having a go, but if you need to ask the question, you may be better off getting a service shop to do it for you, as the valves adjustment is shim based and not merely adjuster screw based.

Now for a display of my own ignorance, what the hell is a starter valve synchro?
Thanks for the info. I probably need adult supervision. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode