Using rear stand - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 05-31-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Using rear stand

Can anyone help me understand the directions that came with the rear stand. It said to place the stand "behind" the welds. So I have the bike on the stand " to the rear of the welds on the swing arm" it is supposed to reduce the chance of the bike slipping off. I don't understand how the bike would slip off . I know nob question but I have never had a stand before.

Thanks in advance, John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-31-2016, 08:13 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

The swing arm tapers in when you go forward. If the bike starts sliding forward it will slip off the stand. It happened to me a couple of times. luckily no damage. Before you put it on the stand clean the underside of the swing arm and the paddles on the stand to remove any oil. I even put some non-skid material on the underside of my swing arm to prevent this.

post #3 of 14 Old 06-01-2016, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

So I am so nervous I took the bike off the stand. Lol so I still don't understand does the bike slide forward or does the stand slip forward. And is this during the lifting process or one the bike is already up on the stand? I just don't want my bike to fall and want to make sure I completely understand. Don't understand why Honda wound not just make all swing arms usable with spools seems like such a simple solution.

Thanks in advance.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-01-2016, 05:49 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by replacement View Post
So I am so nervous I took the bike off the stand. Lol so I still don't understand does the bike slide forward or does the stand slip forward. And is this during the lifting process or one the bike is already up on the stand? I just don't want my bike to fall and want to make sure I completely understand. Don't understand why Honda wound not just make all swing arms usable with spools seems like such a simple solution.

Thanks in advance.
I think the bike slides forward. Maybe you have a different style stand. Mine looks like this:

May have happened due to some oil film. It happened after it had been on the stand for a while.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-01-2016, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Looks like the same idea. When the bike is on the stand the swing arm is nearly parallel to the ground. I will try the Abrasive tape and such but I am am still not comfortable with stand. When the bike is o the stand it seems very solid. Maybe I am making a mountain of something that isn't worthy I don't know. My stand is the Pitt bull stand.

post #6 of 14 Old 06-01-2016, 08:34 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

I have a different type of rear stand. It has flat "paddles" that go under the swingarm and cradle it.
I have never had a problem with it slipping off. I have left the bike on the stand for days at time while working on it.
Here is a picture. I hope you can see it.
(if you click it once it will open a larger view then click again to make even larger)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike stand.jpg (219.0 KB, 53 views)

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 AM
The Cripple

Get yourself a phobeman stand, they are awesome!

post #8 of 14 Old 06-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
I have a different type of rear stand. It has flat "paddles" that go under the swingarm and cradle it. I have never had a problem with it slipping off. I have left the bike on the stand for days at time while working on it. Here is a picture. I hope you can see it. (if you click it once it will open a larger view then click again to make even larger)
What front stand is that?

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #9 of 14 Old 06-01-2016, 10:49 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedave View Post
What front stand is that?
T-Rex Racing

Gold Galvanized TRex Front Triple Tree Motorcycle

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-01-2016, 02:37 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I have a pitbull stand that has rubber counted round pieces that slide under the swingarm. Keeping the stand contact points near the axle keeps the stand from sliding forward. It's not much fun trying to extricate your bike from that situation.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #11 of 14 Old 06-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Centurion

Garage
seems like you're worying for nothing. I've always worried about loosing balance while lifting it up on the stand.... but once it's there it should be pretty solid.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-02-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Cool I am over thinking it

post #13 of 14 Old 06-03-2016, 08:00 AM
just send it.

Garage
+1 for the Phobeman stand... I'm still looking to see if I can have one modified to work with my VFR....

post #14 of 14 Old 06-04-2016, 04:14 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Honda didn't put spool attachment points on the 919, to save money. That's why you also got rubber brake lines, cheap tires, heavy cast iron triple clamps, steel shifter and brake petal. If you want the good stuff, buy a KTM.

However, in Honda's defence, they did put what was needed to attach a center stand to the 919. I had a center stand on my 919. I have one on my Interceptor. I love them. They're easy to use. They're tucked up out of the way, but they're always there. Come to think of it, I ought to put on on my 599. Now look what you've done!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode