"used" 919 with no miles - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 43 Old 05-31-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

"used" 919 with no miles

Hi all,

Lately i've been doing a lot of searching for a used 919. I came across a guy on craigslist with a 2007 model. He says he is the orignal owner on the bike and it has zero miles on it. He claims to have bought it new and never rode it.

Frankly, I find it a little hard to believe. You go out and buy a new bike and never ride it for 3 years?

Assuming I do go out and look at it, what should I be checking for?

If someone replaces the odometer, are the miles stored in the odometer only? Or are they stored in the bikes computer?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 05-31-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I should also add.....I've been riding for a little over 3 years, so i'm not a newbie. Currently, I'm riding a 1998 honda magna and love it.

post #3 of 43 Old 05-31-2010, 04:39 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

they are only stored in the odometer AFAIK, and I believe when you order a new odo from Honda they ask you for the mileage so that they can set the odo accordingly...however is someone reports 0 miles why wouldn't they just ship them out? I'd be very cautious.

post #4 of 43 Old 05-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Maybe he took one look at it, realized how much it would rock his shit and left it sitting in the garage, afraid of what it could do to him...

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #5 of 43 Old 05-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

literally zero miles? he could have easily bought it recently as a left over, there's still a few lingering around at dealerships so it's very possible he hasn't had it since 07 but if it has absolutely no miles I'd be cautious.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #6 of 43 Old 05-31-2010, 05:18 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

What is he asking $$$?

post #7 of 43 Old 05-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Discen

I highly doubt it's brand new, my reasoning behind this is because I work at a car dealership (Mercedes) and even our cars never come with 0miles on them, Now I've never bought a motorcycle new but I have doubts on it having 0miles, they didn't test ride it at the factory and/or dealership after inspecting it? (do they with bikes?) and what did he do...trailer it home and right off the truck into the garage?

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
post #8 of 43 Old 05-31-2010, 05:41 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Mine had 0 on it when I got it. The trip meter ticked over to 0.1 on my way out of the parking lot... And they don't test them at the factory, but the shop where I bought mine drove it around the building before I picked it up to make sure it was good.

post #9 of 43 Old 05-31-2010, 06:10 PM
CG

You know what a brand new bike looks like. The chain will be clean. No grease flung onto the chain guard or anywhere else. Tires will still have mold marks, nipples. It's hard to make something look brand new if it isn't.

But it is effectively a used bike because the warranty is gone. So I would view it as a really nice used bike even if it has 0 miles on it.

What's he asking? IMO, $5500 would be top dollar. You can get one with really low miles for around $5K. So $500 premium for no miles seems fair to me.

Of course, a lot of damage happens when a bike is sitting (or falling over) in the garage.

Sounds like it's definitely worth checking it out. Good luck!

post #10 of 43 Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Optio

Probably was a leftover 07 recently purchased. One look at the title will tell you when it was bought and what the mileage was at the time of purchase. If the guy bought it during the winter and had it delivered to his house, it might have zero miles. But like Cantonsville said, one thorough look will tell you if it looks brand new or not.

post #11 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

The guy is asking $5000 for it.

He will be e-mailing me some pics....i'll post once I get them.

So obviously a bike with zero miles, the tires will be perfect. Someone here made an excellent point about checking the chain guard for flung grease.

What else should I check for? This would be my first "new" bike.

Should I be concerned with old gas? I know the 919 is fuel injected, so I prob. dont have to worry about anything being clogged.

Thanks!

post #12 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I live in the chicago area, for whatever reason there arent many 919s around here at all.

post #13 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 06:35 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

There are at least 3 members on here from Chicagoland.

The paint should be fresh, and the header should be VERY shiny. Also check for dirt/grime under the tail and on the pipes under the tail. I'd say there also would be very little carbon buildup on the exhaust. Heck, the brakes may even still have the factory machine marks on them.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #14 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanke1 View Post
The guy is asking $5000 for it.

He will be e-mailing me some pics....i'll post once I get them.

So obviously a bike with zero miles, the tires will be perfect. Someone here made an excellent point about checking the chain guard for flung grease.

What else should I check for? This would be my first "new" bike.

Should I be concerned with old gas? I know the 919 is fuel injected, so I prob. dont have to worry about anything being clogged.

Thanks!
Fuel injectors get clogged. I would be very concerned with old gas. Unless he ran it in the garage or put it on a tender you may need to new battery as well. Something else to think about is the tires. If they are going on 4 years old they may be getting a little hard. There is a good post around here somewhere about old tires and how they eventually go bad over time regardless of tread wear. Most people never liked the OEM buns anyway.

Bottom line, it's hard to tell until you take a look and find out if he cared for it during its hibernation. Sounds like you scored a really good find regardless. Good luck.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #15 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 11:06 AM
CG

If it looks new and shows 0 miles, I would snatch that puppy up for $5K. Sounds like a good deal.

In fact, now that WT knows the what & where, you better get a move on before somebody beats you to it!

post #16 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

0 miles the tires should still have the little knobby spikes sticking out of them in the tread area. Underneath the engine should be absolutely perfect, as well as the downtubes on the pipes.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #17 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Milites Gregarius

I bought my 2007 Niner back in February with only 350 miles on it for $4500 so they are out there. One close inspection should tell you and like has been stated check the title and mileage at time of purchase. I'm sure it's aleftover model that he never got around to riding...I see it all the time here in the midwest. Jump all over it man.

post #18 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I got some photos today. He did send a pic. of the odometer, but nothing to see as it just says zero. Also, he told me he has ridden it around the block.

Would the odometer show something like 0.25? Or does it only show whole miles? My current bike has a traditional odometer, so i'm not sure.

Take a look at the pics, thoughts? I asked for a pic of the headers and the tread of the tires. Havent gotten one yet.

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0157.jpg (107.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0158.jpg (129.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0159.jpg (107.6 KB, 122 views)

post #19 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Honda Addict

Am I seeing things or do both the alternator cover and clutch cover have scratches on them?

The ODO reads in whole miles. Surely it would would show at least a mile combining the dealer prep with the trip around the block.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #20 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Aquilifer

I'm not sure about the clutch cover, but the alternator cover looks scuffed.

post #21 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 04:07 PM
919lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
I'm not sure about the clutch cover, but the alternator cover looks scuffed.
I agree with the alt.cover but nonetheless it looks like a great steal!!!

check the vin with the title and run with it!!!

post #22 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Alternator cover is all I see too. Still has all the stickers on the tank. I scratched my alternator cover the first weekend I had it in a parking lot. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but maybe a bargaining chip.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you. It looks like a nice bike.

post #23 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Optio

A scuffed alternator would make perfect sense. He had it delivered because he's a new rider. It was winter and he got a great deal. Although it was cold, he took it out just to go around the block because he was excited. Fell on the first turn because the tires were cold and hard as bricks, and no one told him cold tires have no grip. Freaked him out so bad he couldn't work up the courage to ride again and decided to sell.

Ask me how I know all this. Except for that last sentence.

Anyway, gotta be pretty much brand new. Still has the stock mirrors. Those things usually don't last more than 100 miles before getting replaced.

post #24 of 43 Old 06-01-2010, 04:49 PM
true unicycle

i bought my 07 919 last month and it had 250 miles on it for $4k as a repo bike, and haven't had any problems on it and it now has roughly 1500 miles on it, there was a few scratches on it from them shipping it to the dealer so i wouldn't worry about a scuff or 2

post #25 of 43 Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 AM
Milites Gregarius

I agree...scuffs won't hurt it. Make em knock off for new covers.

post #26 of 43 Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Well, ask how they got there. If it was dropped in the garage then the miles might still be a true statment. If he says he doesn't know how the scuff marks got there then I would have a problem regarding he statment about the miles being true.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #27 of 43 Old 06-02-2010, 01:44 PM
It's like... ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
Anyway, gotta be pretty much brand new. Still has the stock mirrors. Those things usually don't last more than 100 miles before getting replaced.
Oh, I don't know. Mine have 20K and counting.

[insert overly political message here]
post #28 of 43 Old 06-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Pilus Posterior

Pretty much covered above - brakes, exhaust colouring, tyre nipples (hmmmmmmm nipples). Also look for rub marks from the seat on the tank paint-work where the seat goes up on the tank.

And check the clutch lever pivot - if it is 0 miles this will be greased and there should not be any sign of wear on the bit of lever that disappears under the pivot part - even with regular cleaning and greasing the alloy gets scuffed a bit from repeated clutch use and general grime that collects in there at 100mph!

Now back to those nipples .........

Sounds like a good buy.

I heard that somewhere in the Californian desert there are a dozen brand-new-in-the-crate 919's hidden in a container under the sand ........

post #29 of 43 Old 06-02-2010, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

The seller sent me 2 more pics of the tires. Looks like there is a faint yellow line running around the tire, and the nipples seem to be there.

Good call on the alternator cover, I missed that. I will be asking him what happened for sure.

Hopefully the seller lets me take a test ride. Assuming he does, I hope I can get the odometer to turn to 1 mile.

How easy is it to disconnect the odometer and ride it around? I realize i'm sounding paranoid, but I'd hate to end up getting ripped off.

Thanks again all. I'm planning on going out this weekend and checking out the bike. If all pans out, it might be coming home with me!

post #30 of 43 Old 06-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
The seller sent me 2 more pics of the tires. Looks like there is a faint yellow line running around the tire, and the nipples seem to be there.

Good call on the alternator cover, I missed that. I will be asking him what happened for sure.

Hopefully the seller lets me take a test ride. Assuming he does, I hope I can get the odometer to turn to 1 mile.

How easy is it to disconnect the odometer and ride it around? I realize i'm sounding paranoid, but I'd hate to end up getting ripped off.

Thanks again all. I'm planning on going out this weekend and checking out the bike. If all pans out, it might be coming home with me!

NOT easy at all. It runs off of the countershaft sprocket.

post #31 of 43 Old 06-02-2010, 05:24 PM
The Cripple

jbanke, take a look at the title before you get too paranoid... the title will tell the tale. if it says 0 miles on the title, then it most likely has zero miles on the odo. its very possible the trip meter hasnt been reset so you could take a look at that if you're curious.

def ask about the alt cover and take it for a ride. dont worry about gas clogging up the fuel injectors, seafoam works wonders! go look at it already before someone snatches it up!

post #32 of 43 Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
jbanke, take a look at the title before you get too paranoid... the title will tell the tale. if it says 0 miles on the title, then it most likely has zero miles on the odo. its very possible the trip meter hasnt been reset so you could take a look at that if you're curious.

def ask about the alt cover and take it for a ride. dont worry about gas clogging up the fuel injectors, seafoam works wonders! go look at it already before someone snatches it up!
+1, this sounds like a great deal

post #33 of 43 Old 06-02-2010, 06:49 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
NOT easy at all. It runs off of the countershaft sprocket.
extremely easy, there are 2 connectors in the headlight housing, 1 male 1 female, 1 white 1 black (male on the gauges side). You will have to take 2 small screws to get the headlight lense out. It's pretty easy to locate them.

ps. if I remember correctly they the only male/female pair that comes from the same bundle.

post #34 of 43 Old 06-03-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I'm going to go look at the bike on sunday. Hopefully, if everything checks out i'll be coming home with a "new" 919.

Assuming everything checks out, i'm going to offer the guy $4500.

Thank you very much to everyone who has responded. I can see i'm going to be spending a lot of time on this forum!

post #35 of 43 Old 06-05-2010, 08:43 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Along with all the other things that everyone else mentioned, check for bugs in the radiator fins. That yellow line on the front tire is the dead giveaway though (that, and the fact that there appears to be zero wear on the front brake rotors). It's new. If the title is in order, buy it.

Professional
post #36 of 43 Old 06-13-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I realize this is an old thread. Wanted to say thank you to everyone on the board.

Ended up buying the bike! It was clearly new and i'm loving the 919 so far.

Thanks to everyone!

post #37 of 43 Old 06-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Cornicen

Quote:

Ended up buying the bike!
You got a great deal!

Congratulations....

post #38 of 43 Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Tirone

congrats on your new 9'er!

Let the modding BEGIN!

post #39 of 43 Old 06-14-2010, 09:07 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Cool, good luck with it

post #40 of 43 Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

great deal, good find, have fun

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode