Urgent help needed - tip to put 919 headers back on - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 01-21-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Urgent help needed - tip to put 919 headers back on

Hey guys,

So I managed to take off the headers of my 9ere and cleaned them and painted them nice.

But i'm having massive trouble putting them back on. I think i already shot one or two of the screw holes...

Anybody have any tips? Should i put the mid pipe section first or should i work on fitting the headers first?

Should I go about the messy way and remove the entire radiator...

Any tips are welcome. I'm super desperate...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-21-2015, 10:08 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I'm not sure whats causing your difficulty, but I always assemble everything loosely until everything is attached...then you can tighten everything up. Try hard not to strip out the stud holes on your engine...that would be considered a bad day.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 13 Old 01-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Tesserarius

Take a brake and come back to it tomorrow. I've learned to know when im doing myself more harm than good to myself and my bike.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-21-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Ok finally got all the screws in and everything... It turns out they were just very dry and had to us a bit of force... Left them. In a bit of vinegar over the night to get all the crop off of them...

Panicked for no reason. I guess I was expecting them to screw on a lot easier I'll post pictures once I'm done... The paint job turned out quite nice

post #5 of 13 Old 01-22-2015, 06:27 AM
Immune

Call me OCD, but when I pull the header, I replace all of the nuts and always have a few extra studs on hand. They seem to strip out very easy.

post #6 of 13 Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Before on the left and after on the right. It Looks pretty

I also kind of broke 2 of the screws example of one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10434173_357717731053219_7881960174437378234_n.jpg (185.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20150121_222727.jpg (137.0 KB, 38 views)

post #7 of 13 Old 01-22-2015, 11:34 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I must be missing something, what wrong with that "screw?" (no screws here, only studs and nuts sir)

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #8 of 13 Old 01-22-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
The stud from the picture. I'm pretty sure I broke it because that threaded part never went through the head of the stud...

post #9 of 13 Old 01-22-2015, 12:17 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
The stud from the picture. I'm pretty sure I broke it because that threaded part never went through the head of the stud...
Negative! You just backed out the stud. Both ends are threaded so... yeah. Grab you a pair of nuts, run one on to the stud most of the way, then follow it up with another. Drive the nut furthest from the head against the next nut, and the stud will start turning in. The nuts might lock together giving you a fit taking it apart, but if you can get a wrench on both you can break the lock and back them out without disturbing the stud.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #10 of 13 Old 01-22-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Ah ok. Thanks for the info. Can't I just leave it for now like that? I think I will... It only happened for two of the bolts... The rest are fine...

post #11 of 13 Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

when I did mine I replaced all the studs and nuts. lock tite on engine side and high temp anti seize on header side. feels good when a plan goes good.

and counting
post #12 of 13 Old 01-22-2015, 02:00 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
Can't I just leave it for now like that? I think I will... It only happened for two of the bolts... The rest are fine...
Well, it depends. i wouldn't.
The right way to install headers is to back out 7mm flange nuts from studs, clean studs with wire brush (if came out) and put them back into the head, install new header gaskets ($3/ea) and new flange nuts (not mandatory but I would for $3/ea). I would also replace studs... why not for $3/ea? $60 in parts total and done once

It's impossible to torque flange nuts to the correct value with them being fused/rusted to studs, therefore one would never know if gaskets are compressed enough to seal the header.
In case you reused old header gaskets (which is doable), old flange locations (nuts fused to studs) are definitely not sealing properly at this point.

post #13 of 13 Old 01-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
when I did mine I replaced all the studs and nuts. lock tite on engine side and high temp anti seize on header side. feels good when a plan goes good.
I do this on every bike I pick up. Cheap and easy and prevents most future headaches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode