Upgraded Shock for 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 01-28-2007, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
HotCarl73

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Upgraded Shock for 919

I want to find a used shock on ebay from a different bike to get rebuilt and sprung for my weight. Does anybody know what will fit? I know that many of the bikes with better shocks have a linkage. Will shocks made to be used with a linkage work on the 919 without one? I believe that the stock shock with a heavier spring wouldn't work well with the valving of the stock shock. My riding ability doesn't warrant an $800 Ohlins, it barely warrants a $50 ebay shock off a cbr or something. But I'm just too fat for the stock suspension. I have my preload front and rear maxed out and I'm bottoming out. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Milites Gregarius

watching for the info myself.. don't think I am bottoming things out but a 260 I'm definatly a load for the suspension..

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #3 of 7 Old 01-29-2007, 05:33 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
The CBR600F3 shock I mentioned in your sag thread will work on the 919. The shock is a direct bolt-on, but it will need some work to go well with your bike since it comes off a bike with a linkage. A new spring alone might do the trick, but revalving couldn't hurt. Expect a slight gain in ride height which will speed up turn-in and add some much-needed corner clearance.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #4 of 7 Old 01-29-2007, 06:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The front fork springs may be a little soft for you. If you really want, you could seek the advice from an outfit like Traxon see if and what it would take to get your forks correct. For me, @175lbs, the front end of my 04 is good enough as is.

The rear spring and shock are set up to handle 380 lbs. You can do wharever you want, I do not care. Here again, I'd get ahold of a suspention outfit and have them send you the proper spring. Not sure what is to be gained by buying a used shock from some other bike and trying to shoehorn it into a bike that it was never designed for. Until you get the right spring, you don't know wether your shock is inadequate or not. The shock on the 919 was designed specifically for the 919. No one that I know of has had the stock shock resprung. I don't think anyone really knows how good or bad that unit is. But we do know that it does a pretty good job when the load is matched to the spring. If you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and you think you can get a better ride by getting a used shock that was set up for a completely different application, off of E-Bay and having it re-done, by all means, go for it. Not me. I'd throw springs at the thing first and go from there.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotCarl73 View Post
I want to find a used shock on ebay from a different bike to get rebuilt and sprung for my weight. Does anybody know what will fit? I know that many of the bikes with better shocks have a linkage. Will shocks made to be used with a linkage work on the 919 without one? I believe that the stock shock with a heavier spring wouldn't work well with the valving of the stock shock. My riding ability doesn't warrant an $800 Ohlins, it barely warrants a $50 ebay shock off a cbr or something. But I'm just too fat for the stock suspension. I have my preload front and rear maxed out and I'm bottoming out. Any ideas?
The other option is to go to this guy, his name is Klaus :

http://www.wilbersusa.com

I bought new suspension (front and back) for my FZ1 from him. He'll custom build you a shock for your weight for a reasonable price. Also, if you live close to NJ, you can take the bike to his shop for him to install.

correction.. I see you're in NV, so nevermind about having him install it.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Milites Gregarius

I thought a stock F3 shock was a turd? I don't really know. I used to have a F3 track bike I bought used. First thing everyone asked me was if it had a aftermarket rear shock since the stocker was a piece of crap. It had a Ohlins unit on it. Maybe I should have taken that off before selling the bike.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I've got a R6 shock if anyone wants it. If you want I can do some measurements. Just looking for a few bucks to cover shipping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode