Updated Mods and Pics - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 71 Old 10-15-2007, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Updated Mods and Pics

Ok, I know I've been picture posting crazy lately with the yellow 599, but the 919 is tired of second billing so bear with me. Just received some carbon fiber goodies from Germany today and have done a few other mods since my last major picture post, so here's the new list:

Awesome new Carbon Fiber side panels, clutch cover and sprocket cover (Happy Birthday to me!), ART CF front fender, Pyramid CF rear hugger, CF gas cap protector, Clear Alternatives smoked lenses and taillight integrator, Jardine fender eliminator, LED license plate frame, Tech Spec tank grip, ProGrip gel grips, Rizoma Radial Naked mirrors, Motovation frame sliders (thanks Ken!), Galfer SS smoke brake lines with xrmikey's custom line holder, semi-gray's PAIR block off plates, flapper mod, PCIII, CF Sato's with powdercoated heatshields and clamps, black powdercoated grab handle, headlight brackets, intake covers and radiator protectors.

And yes, I know I need to get on the track and get those chicken stripes narrowed down...both Hornets are headed to Putnam Park next year!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 10-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Resident Viper Driver

Looks aweseome dude!

It's hard to be humble at 9 G's.
post #3 of 71 Old 10-15-2007, 05:17 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Looks great man. Have you thought about some lower bars, or do you like the stock ones?

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #4 of 71 Old 10-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Rider reborn

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Looks great man. Have you thought about some lower bars, or do you like the stock ones?
I agree. Your bike is outstanding. I would be like to hear about your thoughts with regards to the exhaust... did you own/ ride it before? Noise, performance etc.
D

Lex Talionis
post #5 of 71 Old 10-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Looks great!

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 71 Old 10-15-2007, 06:08 PM

And I thought it couldn't look any better!

You've got a good eye for detail sbeau, great work.

post #7 of 71 Old 10-15-2007, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
I have strongly considered different bars, have read all the renthal threads with great interest. The stock bars actually fit me pretty well since I'm tall, might take the plunge this winter though when I tear it apart for more powdercoating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkness View Post
I agree. Your bike is outstanding. I would be like to hear about your thoughts with regards to the exhaust... did you own/ ride it before? Noise, performance etc.
D
The bike was totally stock when I bought it, so I've been able to experience the differences as I modified it. I love the Sato's, but they are much louder than stock and give it a totally different personality. Before with the oem exhaust it was quiet and stealthy, still quite quick but no one could hear you get on it. Now EVERYONE hears you get on it, it sounds throaty and mean, almost nasty in a good sort of way. The noise level is liveable, not bad at cruising speed or riding around town with light throttle, but when you crank it open

If you're thinking about Satos, the PCIII is a must, it did not run well with the new exhaust without it. Sluggish on the bottom end, lost some of its torque and off the line grunt. With the PCIII, night and day, mean machine!

post #8 of 71 Old 10-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I have strongly considered different bars, have read all the renthal threads with great interest. The stock bars actually fit me pretty well since I'm tall, might take the plunge this winter though when I tear it apart for more powdercoating
Word, I liked the stock bars also but could not take the 70's chrome look any longer so I got some Renthal mediums. Very close to the same, like them alot.

Re Sato noise:

Am I the only one who considers them quiet? I mean not sewing machine quiet as stock but still, below 6k I think they are as quiet as they come outside of stock. After 6k they bark pretty good, but I can not even hear them over the wind while cruising & at idle (stop lights in traffic) I literally have a hard time hearing my own bike--& Im not deaf

post #9 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 04:20 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Looks fantastic, Scott! Love all the black. Great work!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #10 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 AM
Not Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Nice clean bike ya got there.. A real tribute to her kind.....

post #11 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

CF and black powdercoating compliment each other. Nice look Scott!

post #12 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 05:37 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Satos quiet? Mine will raise the dead. And I don't mean your aunt Gerty that croaked earlier this year, I think I can raise Civil War dudes.

post #13 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 05:39 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Satos quiet? Mine will raise the dead. And I don't mean your aunt Gerty that croaked earlier this year, I think I can raise Civil War dudes.
The South will rise again!!!

post #14 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 05:54 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Those are beautiful pictures, Scott. The bike looks fantastic.
post #15 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Those are beautiful pictures, Scott. The bike looks fantastic.
Thanks Kristen, the red geraniums are a nice background, don't you think? Bring out the red in the plug wires and rear spring. In fact it has me wondering about adding other red touches to the bike.

post #16 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Thanks Kristen, the red geraniums are a nice background, don't you think? Bring out the red in the plug wires and rear spring. In fact it has me wondering about adding other red touches to the bike.

Are you one of those metrosexuals?
Coordinating geraniums and plug wires!
post #17 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Are you one of those metrosexuals?
Coordinating geraniums and plug wires!
I am in fact, and proud of it! My clothes match, I wear nice shoes, I'm the chef of the household...and I can still get greasy and fix motorcycles!

post #18 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 10:42 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Looks great! Black parts always look awesome!!!

post #19 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I am in fact, and proud of it! My clothes match, I wear nice shoes, I'm the chef of the household...and I can still get greasy and fix motorcycles!
Scott, here is a idea for your next level of metrosexual mods.

Spoiler:
Tutu is optional

post #20 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

And then my harmless little thread showing off my extremely manly black bike went awry....

post #21 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

at least he put it as a spoiler else

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #22 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Very, very nice.

Quote:
BTW, to be honest, I never even noticed those red geraniums, yet alone the rest of the image in the background.

post #23 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
Very, very nice.
BTW, to be honest, I never even noticed those red geraniums, yet alone the rest of the image in the background.
Just trying to be creative and add a splash of color...anyone can take a pic of a motorcycle in a garage, but try getting a big bike up a step onto your front patio and then drop the back wheel off the edge and get it stuck in the ivy with the tire spinning and your feet slipping as you try to turn it around with your neighbors and the entire world watching...then you'll understand what true suffering for your art is all about.

post #24 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 12:29 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Just trying to be creative and add a splash of [COLOR="Red"]color[/COLOR ...then you'll understand what true suffering for your art is all about.
I appreciate your suffering!
The pics are great.
post #25 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 04:11 PM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
It used to be called Renaissance man, and I think chicks used to dig it. I also do the cooking at my house, and I'm not half bad at it. I have way better decorating skills than my wife, I have a couple of nice suits for the funeral/ wedding gigs however, I mostly dress like a dumpster diving homeless dude. Oh yeah, your bike looks great!

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #26 of 71 Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
You Better Call Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Great looking Bike!

If you want to keep the black theme going... PJ's sells the Rizoma 22mm standard bars in black. They are almost the same dimensions as the Renthal ultra lows.

Dimensions: Width/Height/Pullback
Renthal Ultra Lows: 725/75/95
Rizoma 22mm: 720/75/105

I got Rizoma Bars with the Rizoma Billet grips / Rizoma Radial Naked Mirrors / Rizoma Bar Ends all in black. It looks pretty sweet IMHO. Man PJ's must love me!

post #27 of 71 Old 10-17-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
The South will rise again!!!

post #28 of 71 Old 10-17-2007, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Great looking Bike!

If you want to keep the black theme going... PJ's sells the Rizoma 22mm standard bars in black. They are almost the same dimensions as the Renthal ultra lows.

Dimensions: Width/Height/Pullback
Renthal Ultra Lows: 725/75/95
Rizoma 22mm: 720/75/105

I got Rizoma Bars with the Rizoma Billet grips / Rizoma Radial Naked Mirrors / Rizoma Bar Ends all in black. It looks pretty sweet IMHO. Man PJ's must love me!

Funny, I was just checking out that exact same set up on PJ's last night! I love the look of the black Rizoma bars, how would you say they compare to the stock bars for reach and comfort? Also the billet grips look great, can't tell from the pictures on the website though, is the grip actually knurled aluminum, or is there a rubber insert?

I'm thinking about Pazzo black levers too, look pretty cool. Also going to have the rearsets powercoated black and put on some black billet foot pegs this winter. Just when I think I'm done with the mods....

post #29 of 71 Old 10-17-2007, 06:28 PM
You Better Call Tirone

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Funny, I was just checking out that exact same set up on PJ's last night! I love the look of the black Rizoma bars, how would you say they compare to the stock bars for reach and comfort? Also the billet grips look great, can't tell from the pictures on the website though, is the grip actually knurled aluminum, or is there a rubber insert?

I'm thinking about Pazzo black levers too, look pretty cool. Also going to have the rearsets powercoated black and put on some black billet foot pegs this winter. Just when I think I'm done with the mods....
I really like the Rizoma bars. With the stock bars, I always felt like I was a little too upright especially at higher speeds especially when the wind is beating you up. I'm 5'11, but I have a 75" reach, "monkey arms". I could never get comfortable at higher speeds with the stock bars. Since I've installed the bars I've done a couple of 700 mile weekend trips and had no complaints about the change in riding position other than being more comfortable at interstate speed.

The Rizomas are a little wider and a little more forward. Also, once I got rid of the stock bars the vibrations in the bars that I felt were almost completely gone. They are only slightly noticeable when you're pushing above 80 / 85, but still not too bad and definitely not numbing like the stock bars. With the stock bars my hands were pretty numb if driving at higher speeds for a while.

Yes the grips have a rubber insert in them in the center. They are kind of a cross cut / diamond pattern. Here's where I think I posted some pics https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ghlight=rizoma
I haven't taken any pics since I installed the rizoma bars. If I get chance I'll post some updated pics of the bars on the thread above.

post #30 of 71 Old 10-17-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

PJ's, here I come!

post #31 of 71 Old 10-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

sbeau19560, that is one clean lookin' badass bike! It's cool (at least to me) to see a modded bike that stays true to it's roots. I like the crazy stuff, too, but it's nice to see one that's clean and mean. Kudos for a job well done!

brevity

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #32 of 71 Old 10-18-2007, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

brevity, thanks for the kudos! I stayed up too late last night as usual and ordered up black Rizoma handlebars, billet grips and conical bar ends from PJ's. Don't know whether to thank or curse Orion. Thinking I'll get black Pazzo long levers with silver adjusters as well, still checking out lever options.

Ordered the MIVV X Cone exhaust for the 599 from PJ's while I was at it. Damn, it was bad enough with one Hornet begging for mods, two is definitely detrimental to my wallet!

post #33 of 71 Old 10-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

DEFINATELY GET THE SHORTY LEVERS. When I wrecked my handlebars hit, but my Pazzo's didn't, just barely though! They look a lot better short too.

2 > 4
post #34 of 71 Old 10-18-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post
DEFINATELY GET THE SHORTY LEVERS. When I wrecked my handlebars hit, but my Pazzo's didn't, just barely though! They look a lot better short too.
Hmm, persuasive argument for short levers. I have big hands though and believe in 4 finger action on the levers, anyone else have input on long versus short?

post #35 of 71 Old 10-19-2007, 02:58 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

I got the shorty brake and long clutch but didn't like the lever hitting the bar end and rubbing the finish off so I went with the short clutch. I didn't think I'd like it because I too like having more grip on it but I got used to it real quick and now it seems natural.

I'm also debating between the Rizoma, Coerce & Renthal bars.Decisions, decisions!

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #36 of 71 Old 10-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Don't know whether to thank or curse Orion...Damn, it was bad enough with one Hornet begging for mods, two is definitely detrimental to my wallet!
No doubt!

Did the black gauge cover/pod come stock on your 919? I'm hatin' the chrome-fest on my '07...

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #37 of 71 Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Hmm, persuasive argument for short levers. I have big hands though and believe in 4 finger action on the levers, anyone else have input on long versus short?
I wear a 3XL glove and the pazzo's shorty's work just fine. Took me about two hours to get used to em' and now I wouldn't use anything else.

post #38 of 71 Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
Did the black gauge cover/pod come stock on your 919? I'm hatin' the chrome-fest on my '07...
Yeah, I don't think Honda started with the faux chrome instrument housing until '04 or '05, I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact year. I expect you could swap yours for an earlier black version, but a lot of people have painted theirs as well. Do a search, know I saw a thread about it not too long ago.

post #39 of 71 Old 10-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Tired of Tirone

He's a little 'teaser' of my set-up.

I went with the red adjusters.

(p.s. - PJ loves me also......and I suspect a bunch of other W.T.ers.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00180_1_1.jpg (33.9 KB, 136 views)

post #40 of 71 Old 10-19-2007, 05:43 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Jeff, got a bigger pic? it looks cool but would like to see it better!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode