Understanding PCIII Maps - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Understanding PCIII Maps

I have put on a set of Satos, and have been playing with the Two Bros map and the Sato New 2. I think the Sato New 2 is LDH's.

When looking at the Diff Table, the Two Bros, from what I am seeing, is moderately more lean accross the map. The Sato New 2 seems to produce more power, as it feels when riding. But with the Sato New 2, the bike requires much better throttle control in the idle to 4k range, utherwise I might call it twitchy.

Is there anyone out there that knows how to read a map as to seeing a trend in FI characteristics? I am trying to learn how to adjust the map myself, kinda the same as playing with diff jets on a carb. And yes, I could just go get a custom one made, but what fun would that be?

One last question: How would running a more rich map cause a bike to want to run hotter?
I ask this in reference to the old thread https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...son+racing+map

When rejetting a carb, in my experience, running leaner would produce at hotter running engine. Wouldn't the same be true for FI?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-19-2009, 07:47 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I want to know too! when I bought my bike, I asked my friend what map he was running on it, and he said, "its got three buttons on it....you can mess with those if you want to." and that was the extent of his knowlege.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 6 Old 03-19-2009, 08:04 AM
hairball919

Just had DynoJet do my maps online!

And the bike runs like a freakin' rocket ship through every gear! I was having a bit of a sluggishness off idle to about 3 grand. Nothing drastic, but it just didn't seem right. A guy told me on the phone about how the nice folks at DynoJet mapped his brand new Suzuki M109 right over his computer. And that it ran better than it ever had! He said he tried all the maps for his bike, but then called DynoJet. He said they log into your computer and do all the changes while you sit back and watch your cursor magically move all over the screen. Then they save it in your documents. Then they log out and you never have to worry about the safety or security of your files.

I tried this, and felt safe enough.

The guy asked me on the phone where I felt my bike needed improvement. He also asked me every mod I've done. I told him. He made a bunch of changes. Took about 5 minutes total for him to do what he did.

Now I have a personally customized map designed specifically for my bike! My new custom map is designed specifically for the mods I've done and to remedy the issues I felt I was having. Oh, and they guy turned on the Accelerator Pump Feature. THAT also made a huge difference!

So, the next day, which was yesterday, I took the bike on a 180 mile ride and was so freakin' impressed I almost had to stop and buy a Depends! I swear, it's so dang scarey fast now and quick off the line! I feel a HUGE amount of power and torque since DynoJet tweeked my map! So, THIS is what a PC3USB is supposed to do to a bike? My buddy keeps joking about us racing each other because he has the same bike with the same mods other than we have different muffs and I did the flapper mod. I'm ready to blow him away now! He still has NO power commander.

So, if you continue to have map questions or troubles, try what I tried. You'll be happy as a clam when you're done! The dude on the phone (whoever it is that takes the call) will stay on the phone with you while you hook everything up and you don't have to do anything but answer their questions and watch the magic begin. He stays on the phone with you until all is done. Then you disconnect, replace seat, and go for a ride. Just be ready for the surprise of your freakin' life!!

post #4 of 6 Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

A proper map needs to be done with the aid of a dyno and gas analyzer

http://www.rc51.org/dynotuning.htm

Never touch the buttons on the Powercommander that completely defeats the purpose of the unit for being able to adjust the fuel mapping based on a fine resolution of rpms & throttle positions. They actually got rid of those for the newest unit the PC-V

post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Hairball919 drove up to Seattle today and loaded his new map into my PCIII (thanks again Shawn!). We both have the same year bike with the same mods so I figured it would be fun to give his map a shot.
It's a VERY good map! I took it on a couple test rides and the low-end and mid-range both feel better. The power definitely feel crisper and more aggressive. I like it!
Disclaimer: I make no claims of any HP gains. A lot of people don't believe that the power can be better without showing documented numbers. It may not be the "perfect" map, but the power does feel more responsive and the bike is even more fun to ride than before. That's good enough for me.

post #6 of 6 Old 03-23-2009, 05:19 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

yea im not to worried about HP numbers really, i want good throttle responce and good A/F numbers so im not wasting gas or gonna burn up my bike. but with all that taken care of the HP numbers will be there too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode