Umm. . . . a little help please - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 05-07-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Ballaholic

Umm. . . . a little help please

ok, so, i have a little bit of a situation. i installed my PCIII today and everything went fine and dandy. everything hooked up, bike ran, great. i put my plastics back on, tightened everything up, and put the seat on. problem with the seat . . .i know it kinda my own dumb fault on this one. seat was a little tight to click in, but i didnt think much of it so i just pushed a little harder and it popped in, not really clicked. it didnt look right so i went to unlock it and adjust it, but its now jammed. there must be a wire or something caught in the lock mech in there. lock will not turn at all. so, now im stuck with a seat that not on right but for the moment, permanently attached to the bike. anyone have any idea how i can unlock the seat? plastics wont come off with seat on, neither will the under tray. any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-07-2010, 06:40 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

With enough patience, you can get the plastics off with the seat on... use protection! (e.g. towels) to cover the paint. You should be able to pry up the back of the seat to to get the 2 bolts there. The hard part will be getting the plastic pieces out of the front. Again, not an impossible task. I invision a small punch, a drill, and a lot of patience! The replacements can be had at lowes for like $0.18ea IIRC.

Good luck on your mission, should you choose to accept it.

post #3 of 14 Old 05-07-2010, 06:47 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

Whenever i take my seat off, i have to push down on the seat before i try to turn the key otherwise my key gets bent. Maybe you just have too much tension on the lock mechanism??

post #4 of 14 Old 05-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T81 View Post
Whenever i take my seat off, i have to push down on the seat before i try to turn the key otherwise my key gets bent. Maybe you just have too much tension on the lock mechanism??
That was my first thought too. I have to push down on my seat too or the key is hard to turn.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-07-2010, 07:39 PM
performs tactical reloads

There's a bar that comes straight back out of the latch mechanism and then bends straight up. When you turn the key you're pushing that bar toward the back of the bike with a lever attached to the lock. If you take off your rear tail light and take out the tail light sockets (or just have the holes because you have a CA LED board?) you can get some sort of hook I. And grab the latch bar. Then pull back.

Good luck, hope this works for you!

post #6 of 14 Old 05-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Gets censored

+1 push on your seat 1st then resort to removing your tail light not a biggie.

post #7 of 14 Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Pilus Posterior

Good idea on the tail light removal.

It sounds like a few others have locked down their seat as well!

post #8 of 14 Old 05-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Pob
Tirone

As per DoubleJ tajke off the grab rail (4 allen key bolts) which will give you access sideways to the seat latch. Then use a large flat bladed screwdriver and while someone lifts the back of the seat - you pull back on the Gold coloured bar (part of the seat latch) that connects to the key mechanism - this releases the seat. Once you have the seat off do not refit it straight away. You need to undo the bolt holding the latch mechanism to the bike frame (10 mm I think) and adjust it so the when you use the key it easily opens the latch to release the seat. THIS DEFINITELY WORKS - DONE IT TWICE.

post #9 of 14 Old 05-08-2010, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Ballaholic

lol thanks for all the replies everyone. yeah, the key is pretty weak lol. im pretty convinced there is something caught up in the latch under the plastics. ill try removing the grab rail first, than move to the taillight. i originally took off the taillight cover but was too tired to figure out how to get the housing out. mary jane + bike work = fail lol. ill report back later today

post #10 of 14 Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 AM
Pob
Tirone

Hi tailight will not give access - it's a waste of time touching it. Just take off grab rail and the through the big rectangular holes you can push the catch back towards the rear of the bike to release the seat. It does need two people - one to do this the other to pull on the seat. Trust me I have just done this very thing the other week - it is the best way to do it. A long screwdriver - about 12" long at least or some kind of bar is best - I used 8mm steel round bar about 20" long and my wife pulling on the seat and the catch popped undone.

post #11 of 14 Old 05-08-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Ballaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pob View Post
Hi tailight will not give access - it's a waste of time touching it. Just take off grab rail and the through the big rectangular holes you can push the catch back towards the rear of the bike to release the seat. It does need two people - one to do this the other to pull on the seat. Trust me I have just done this very thing the other week - it is the best way to do it. A long screwdriver - about 12" long at least or some kind of bar is best - I used 8mm steel round bar about 20" long and my wife pulling on the seat and the catch popped undone.
k thanks, ill try that one first

post #12 of 14 Old 05-08-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Ballaholic

well, got the seat off today. i used the grab bar removal method. worked pretty good for me. turns out that whole chunk of wires for the rear blinkers/taillights was out of place and it was blocking the latch from moving. anyways, all is better and thanks for the help everyone

post #13 of 14 Old 05-08-2010, 02:43 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Glad to hear it worked out.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Good deal.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode