ultimately not my choice - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 64 Old 10-12-2009, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
mad english

Talking ultimately not my choice

this weekend i found a new riding buddy. mrs goona took the msf test and passed(shes sick of looking over my shoulder-and who can blame her?) anywho...she loves everything about the 9er(the only bike she's ever been on-but feels it a little too much for a newbie) and is looking at similar. so; minions of the dark arts of nakednessivity, i come to you with the following(if i may?)

gladius or sv650 or en6r or versys or 599(found 07 $5399-0miles) or duc 696 or anything else you wisdomous group can lob this way, any and all suggestions gratefully appreciated. thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 10-12-2009, 03:17 PM
no max no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonanc View Post
this weekend i found a new riding buddy. mrs goona took the msf test and passed(shes sick of looking over my shoulder-and who can blame her?) anywho...she loves everything about the 9er(the only bike she's ever been on-but feels it a little too much for a newbie) and is looking at similar. so; minions of the dark arts of nakednessivity, i come to you with the following(if i may?)

gladius or sv650 or en6r or versys or 599(found 07 $5399-0miles) or duc 696 or anything else you wisdomous group can lob this way, any and all suggestions gratefully appreciated. thanks so much
en6 is a nice bike .... now its for her right..versy is a tall bile you may never get off it

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #3 of 64 Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Congrats, the next step for me is to get my missus on 2 wheels of her own! Out of your list mentioned above either the SV650 or the Duc. I think a v-twin would be easier for a leaner. I would think that the SV650 is better value for money than the Gladius. I Just don't care much for the build quality of the Gladioli from what I've seen. I would'nt really consider the 600 IL4's leaner friendly bikes, but thats just my opinion.

My pick would be between the SV650 the Ducati, more leaning towards the Duc, being aircooled, its milder out of the 2 (plus chicks dig Ducati's):

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...?&R=EPI-100474

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...nt/?&R=EPI-441

post #4 of 64 Old 10-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Look long and hard at the 599. Other than that, I'm digging the Duc!!!

post #5 of 64 Old 10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Sike

My wife rides a 599 and loves it. The seat had to be cut down, the rear spring had to be replaced, and the bars had to be brought back, all because she is little and light. But, she loves it.

post #6 of 64 Old 10-12-2009, 05:45 PM

I've put about 100 backroad miles on a 2005ish 650R - the older sibling of the EN6R. There's nothing wrong with that bike, very easy to ride, and it's one of the most reccomended starter bikes. Belongs to the semi-petite wife of my riding buddy, and she rides it hard. He put Givi sidecases on it - looks good. They've had no problems with it. The Versys has the same motor - tuned differently.

post #7 of 64 Old 10-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

My wife's first bike would be a kawi-250R. After mastering that then we'll talk.

post #8 of 64 Old 10-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
My wife's first bike would be a kawi-250R. After mastering that then we'll talk.
That was my wife's first bike and we had to sell it almost immediately. The seat to bars reach is way too much for a smaller woman, which wasn't obvious in the showroom, but very clear in the parking lot.

post #9 of 64 Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....

+3 on the 599. Light, familiar, easy to mess with and combined with matching riding apparel, you will instantly appear Canadian to outsiders.

post #10 of 64 Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Hastatus Posterior

I know this is useless mentioning this, but just for interest sake, its a pity you don't have the CB400 Super Four over there (neither in NZ officially, Oz only), ideal for learners, I would think:

CB400 2009 | Entry | Motorcycles | Honda

post #11 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

+4 on the 599! No way I'd put my wife on a bike as maintenance heavy as a Duc.

post #12 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Off-topic:
Just pondering to myself....

How many here bought the 919 as their first bike but then would not recommend it for a woman? How many of these same guys urged a newb to buy a 919 cause it is docile if you respect it, etc...

Is it that these riders themselves are better than a woman? Or maybe a stranger they have never met is more capable than their woman? Or can they admit it was more bike than they should have gotten? Or is it a macho thing that they had to have the bigger bike? Maybe their woman just does not need as much bike (because guys need all the HP)? Maybe because women are shorter... and shorter people can handle a 599, but ot a 919?

hmmmm.... Seems to be fun pondering....

On Topic:
I like the SV. It is a cheap and fun ride. More capable than most riders and a good resale value.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #13 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

post #14 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
I like the SV. It is a cheap and fun ride. More capable than most riders and a good resale value.
+1

Resale value is the deal maker, IMHO.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #15 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

SV650 or Gladius. Think about finding parts for those vs. finding them for a 599.... cost and availability. How long has the SV engine been in production? How many aftermarket parts are available for the SV vs. the 599?

post #16 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 AM
livelaughlove

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Your right ultimatly not your choice. She will find the right ride for her. She will take your advice, ponder on that awhile, then decide for herself what is the right ride for her. Then any respcetable man would just say "ok dear" and pay for it.

My advice to her test ride for a while before you take one home - just like with your man.

Hope
post #17 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopegrabowski View Post
Your right ultimatly not your choice. She will find the right ride for her. She will take your advice, ponder on that awhile, then decide for herself what is the right ride for her. Then any respcetable man would just say "ok dear" and pay for it.

My advice to her test ride for a while before you take one home - just like with your man.
The tough part for my wife was that she didn't have the skill level to feel comfortable to test ride (the you crash it - It's yours, scared her even more). Also, there isn't a bike made that fits her (stock) other than the S40 Suzuki. And, after about 1 1/2 years of owning one she was driven crazy by the vibration. It truly is tough for woman and motorcycle, unless they happen to be taller than average. So, she had to trust me that we could mod a 599 so that she would love it, and she does (which is really good for me).

post #18 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 07:59 AM
livelaughlove

Awards Showcase

Being on the shorter end myself, I understand it is VERY hard to find the right fit. They are out there. And if you have someone that can make a few adjustments on the bike to really want but is to tall, even better.

Hope
post #19 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Ballaholic

sv no doubt

post #20 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

HF4IG, How many women that you know are as tall and strong as a man?

Who is more likely to have at least a little experence on a mini-bike, or dirtbike in the past, man or woman?

Which gender is more likely to know how to operate a clutch?

Which gender is more likely to quit as soon as they drop the bike and skin their knee?

Men and women beginners start on different levels. I get something as light and easy to handle as possible. I like the Yamaha 250 Motard.

post #21 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Sniper,
I saw no one ask about her size, demeaner, decision making capability, experience etc... all of which is important. I saw immediate votes for what bike to get (and all smaller bikes - appropriately).

I also see these same questions not being asked of a male... but the recommendation is bigger bikes.... probably not appropriate in many cases.

So I am very comfortable with my post.

Spoiler:
post #22 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
HF4IG, How many women that you know are as tall and strong as a man?
i live with one... she is 6' even and 190 pounds... not fat.. really sexy... she's a massage therapist and can beat you arm wrestling... she also got a full ride scholarship thru college for basketball... which she can also beat you in...

and me at 6'3 @235 pounds she can bear hug me and lift me off the ground....

post #23 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

And that is my point....
If you asked what to get your wife.... people will say Nija 250/500 or 599.

Put a 5'8" guy that weighs 145 and everyone will say get a bigger bike.

That was all my point was. It seems that way to me.

Spoiler:
post #24 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
Off-topic:
Just pondering to myself....

How many here bought the 919 as their first bike but then would not recommend it for a woman? How many of these same guys urged a newb to buy a 919 cause it is docile if you respect it, etc...

Is it that these riders themselves are better than a woman? Or maybe a stranger they have never met is more capable than their woman? Or can they admit it was more bike than they should have gotten? Or is it a macho thing that they had to have the bigger bike? Maybe their woman just does not need as much bike (because guys need all the HP)? Maybe because women are shorter... and shorter people can handle a 599, but ot a 919?

hmmmm.... Seems to be fun pondering....

On Topic:
I recommended the more docile bikes in that list for a learner, full stop. I fully support the US system of liberty and taking responsibility for being an adult and therefore freedom of choice. What I do find insane, is that someone that's a complete newbie can go out and buy the latest R1, etc.

This is why I made that useless (for the US) post ,that a CB400 Super Four would be a cracker of a learner bike.

Over here we have a learner and a restricted period for 9 months minimum, if you ar over 25 and do a recognised safety course. Under 25 and its 18 months (I think). Further, you are only allowed on nothing bigger than a 250cc.

It is good for the following reasons:

1) When mistakes happen, odds are it will not be as catastrophic as with a CBR1000RRRR
2)As most learners typically go through that cocky and overconfident phase, again the potential consequenses when something goes wrong - see #1
3) The bike is usually light and flickable and is much easier to learn the basics of canyon carving, etc. BikePics - Honda VTR 250 Home Page on BikePics.Com
4) You can open up the taps and enjoy the full rev range, basically have a good play without reaching Warpspeed 3. Most 250's reach 100km/h quite easily and tops out at about 140km/h (60-80mph) down a slight decline with a tailwind!

How many unsuspecting learners got on the latest ZX10 and scared them self shitless, had a bad experience 5 minutes after riding away from the dealers, a nasty crash, etc. etc. ,and hung up their helmets for good?
How many learners never got the basics right, because they were overwhelmed by trying to learn the ropes on their new GSXR1000?

post #25 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 01:55 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post

Which gender is more likely to quit as soon as they drop the bike and skin their knee?

I'm with you here.
I know way too many men who quit riding after falling and skinning their poor lil knee. Babies.
post #26 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM
no max no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
I'm with you here.
I know way too many men who quit riding after falling and skinning their poor lil knee. Babies.
hell i now a few who lost limbs then built a bike and where on the road again.......its a tough call

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #27 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Quote:
I'm with you here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
hell i now a few who lost limbs then built a bike and where on the road again.......its a tough call
I was being sarcastic.
I hate generalizations.

Anyways, goonanc, I'm in the Charlotte area if your wife ever wants to go riding.
post #28 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 03:56 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Brians wife is HOT!!
imho

post #29 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

My wife being all of 4'11'' makes me think of her anytime someone asks about a bike for a woman. That being said, Gins 599 is set up for a woman just that size, still has an extreme fun factor and is the first bike that comes to mind when this subject comes up. Once Scott gets back on here he can have Gin chime in. No substitute for experience in the particular department you have questions in.

post #30 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
i live with one... she is 6' even and 190 pounds... not fat.. really sexy... she's a massage therapist and can beat you arm wrestling... she also got a full ride scholarship thru college for basketball... which she can also beat you in...

and me at 6'3 @235 pounds she can bear hug me and lift me off the ground....
I think I can take her in arm wrestling and basketball, but I'll give you this . . . that's the best looking 190-lb. woman that I've ever seen.

I vote for the SV. Bulletproof engine, good resale, and tons of aftermarket stuff. If the seat is a little too high for her, you can easily find lowering links on fleabay for $15 and slide the forks up a little in the triples. You can even ship the seat off the Spencer's seat mod and he'll lower it another inch or so for her at a cost of only $50-$75. Between just those two mods, you can lower the 31.5-inch seat at least a couple inches, putting it in flat-foot range for most females.

post #31 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
I think I can take her in arm wrestling and basketball, but I'll give you this . . . that's the best looking 190-lb. woman that I've ever seen.
Quote:
mary.... awww... thats sweet... but we would have to see about the arm wrestling and basketball...

be afraid... be very afraid

post #32 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 05:38 PM
livelaughlove

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I'm with you here.

nice very nice.......

Mike is right, no one asked the important questions, Hmmmmm, Mike have you always been this sensitive towards women,and we have never seen it. Or are you trying to impress the GF hanging over the shoulder?

kidding aside....Mike is right, so many different bikes because we are all built so differently. Got to know who your building for before building a bike.

Hope
post #33 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

haha! Wish she were over my shoulder... She is in Richmond right now, I am at the beach.

Spoiler:
post #34 of 64 Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 PM
livelaughlove

Awards Showcase

i wish I was at the beach, with a man (preferable my man), and drink - one of those fancy glass fu fu drinks

Hope
post #35 of 64 Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
mad english

thanks so much for all the input. the size has nothing to do with gender. she determined the 9 would be too big for now and just wanted a "learner" burner. height may be an issue, but amazingly all bikes are smaller now she knows what shes doing with them. we'll look at a few this weekend and see what we can come up with. sv seems to make most sense when all said and done. i like the 599 myself, bulletproof H, but as they only sold 17 total in the us vs 800m sv!!! getting mods and bits etc. thanks anyways. pics and update when done. great forum-plenty helpful

post #36 of 64 Old 10-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

SV is a great bike. They are plenty more capable then the average person would use. I've seen girls at the drag strip smoke guys on faster bikes as well as tearing through the canyons with ease. I want one, its a very respectable bike and the music they emit is beautiful. Was the 919 too big in terms of ergonomics? The SV is not all that smaller to be honest? Have her sit on a Honda 250 or Yamaha 250 and see if she feels comfortable handling those.

I wouldn't call the SV a "learner burner" though...I think she'd want to keep it for a while.

Nothing builds confidence like riding a bike that you can actually handle and be/feel in total control of.

post #37 of 64 Old 10-14-2009, 12:27 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

oh!!! and by the way this is what a 320 pound woman looks like...

in case you can't tell the one of the left weighs 320 on the hoof...

Spoiler:
she is also 7'4 and i would love to help her shave those legs...

post #38 of 64 Old 10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Unbannable

Damn! If she could provide writen documentation stating that she was born a woman, I'd hit it.

post #39 of 64 Old 10-14-2009, 12:55 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Damn! If she could provide writen documentation stating that she was born a woman, I'd hit it.
yes... born woman... i have the rest of her story somewhere in a email.... she is beyond hot...

post #40 of 64 Old 10-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

snopes.com: World's Tallest Woman

Love snopes.

Anyhow...

On-Topic: Still like the SV, but also Triumph had a short lived run of Speed4's - A buddy had one for his vertically challenged wife.

Spoiler:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode