ugh!! not again... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

ugh!! not again...

My damn bike fell over again, just as I was going to shut the garage door, I see it slow motion the bike is on the ground....ERRRRRRR

This time it landed on the clutch side and bent and broke my lever and smashed up the tank a little more, plus a little rash on the mirror, worst part is, I just bought those mirrors, and my bar end is scraped to Sh!t.

That makes 4 times this bike has fell over on me, im starting to thing the bike is cursed.

I had big plans to paint it this winter but now im wondering if I should, because more than likely it will end up on its side.....again.

Oh well, I was planning on getting pazzo levers.

BTW what are the best engine crash bars for the 9er?

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 02:40 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

How does it keep falling over? BTW, I like my Givi crash bars even though I'll have to send them back over the winter because they cracked at a weld.

post #3 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 03:01 PM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I would definitely check to see if it has a kickstand.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #4 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

I guess im not puting it on a level enough surface and the kick stand moves forward than down she goes.

My driveway is on a slop so when I jump off the bike it seems fine I take a few steps and thats when it moves forward and fall over. Except one time I hade it on the center stand with the front tire off and it fell over.

Maybe it needs one of the little bells to ward off demons

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #5 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 04:06 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Dude, you really need to pay attention when you park your bike...

post #6 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Aquilifer

I heard enough of these horror stories when I got into bikes that my routine is always:

1. Stop bike.
2. Put in gear.
3. Let clutch out.
4. Walk bike forward until it mashes stop from being in gear.
5. Deploy kickstand
6. Get off bike.

post #7 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Princeps Prior

I have a bike grab for the front tire in my garage.....ride into it, get off.

post #8 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Sounds like bike in gear will stop the madness.

I hate downhill parking. When I have to I always put the bike in gear.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Di"zx"en

What ever you do...Dont paint it.
Consider it (and I love this) an Anti-crash dent!!!!!

That'll work........
post #10 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 06:38 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

You better cut your bike off. It's obvious to me it's been hitting the bottle a wee bit much. Intervene now, before it's too fucking late!

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #11 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 06:56 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
You better cut your bike off. It's obvious to me it's been hitting the bottle a wee bit much. Intervene now, before it's too fucking late!
damnit daa you crack me up!

i always park the bike in gear... ALWAYS... how do i ensure that the "ALWAYS" statement is true? easy, i kill the engine by leaving it in gear and putting the kickstand down. after i get off the bike i test the lean angle quickly by pushing on it slightly which indicates how easily it'll move in the direction of least resistance.

sounds like you just need to slow down a little bit and double check yourself before you walk away from the bike for any reason. take a few extra seconds to double check yourself. force yourself into habit. once you have the habits down (takes atleast 6 weeks), THEN consider repainting your bike.

post #12 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

bike rolled forward on the kickstand once, since then I always leave the bike in gear when it's parked...

post #13 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 07:22 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Do not spend another penny on your bike - NO Pazzos, NO new mirrors, and don't even think about fixing the dented tank - until you take the crash course in parking mentioned above. Otherwise your bike is going to be a never-ending money pit of broken and dented parts.

post #14 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 07:37 PM
notsowisecracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
slow down a little bit and double check yourself
Amen.

A few years ago I had a '79 XS750 Special.
It had a real heavy lean on the kickstand. Part design / part sloppy old kickstand.

I lowered the kickstand, and started leaning the bike over onto it. About the time I realized it was leaning to far (kickstand popped back up) I was almost at the point of no return.
Keep in mind I'm still straddleing the bike, but now also at more of an angle than I'd like to be, and this beast is going over on me.

Short story: With my left foot still being firmly planted, I managed to upright the bike using only my left arm.
Heard an audible pop from my left elbow, and tore the shit out of something in my right shoulder while doing it though.

Never went to the Dr. because...well, I still had a pulse, wasn't seeing double, and had no blood spraying from anywhere....

Took about a year for my elbow and shoulder to recover fully.

I get a "locked down" kickstand feel, as well as a visual, and don't relax my grip on the bars until I feel the bike solid on the kickstand now.

post #15 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 07:37 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Nothing like real life stories from "recovered alcoholics"

General George S. Patton
post #16 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 PM
notsowisecracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Nothing like real life stories from "recovered alcoholics"
Did I mention a recovery?

post #17 of 43 Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 PM
notsowisecracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml2727 View Post
My damn bike fell over again,...

Sorry.
(but you had to know that was coming sooner or later)

post #18 of 43 Old 11-11-2010, 06:33 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh snaaaaaaaaaaap!

General George S. Patton
post #19 of 43 Old 11-11-2010, 12:17 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

thats good

post #20 of 43 Old 11-11-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

LOL, I like all the smart ass comments, I deserve them...

The main reason im not puting it in gear is i have the bike idleing and warming up, I pull out of the garage and stop and get off, everything seems fine while im standing there so I go over to close the door and thats when she runs away and falls over...

*note that this is the first bike that has ever did this to me, im calling it a weak kickstand.

post #21 of 43 Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Gets censored

Im embarrased but just dropped mine in the garage 1st time the other night same way, thought it was good walked away and BAM-O. Cool part is it bent my bars slightly and I bent the other side to match and I like the angle better!

Not so cool part is the scuff on the motor....

post #22 of 43 Old 11-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Aquilifer

I'm not much of an "idler to warm up" kinda guy -- particularly with an FI bike.
If you must "warm up the bike", I'd suggest sitting on it for 10 seconds, then going.

Of course, I live in Cali where cold is 60'.

post #23 of 43 Old 11-11-2010, 02:31 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
I'm not much of an "idler to warm up" kinda guy -- particularly with an FI bike.
If you must "warm up the bike", I'd suggest sitting on it for 10 seconds, then going.

Of course, I live in Cali where cold is 60'.
Didn't our resident motorcycle MD (rob) comment on this with great insight once or twice?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #24 of 43 Old 11-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Aquilifer

I'm new here, so I likely missed it. Won't matter much to me.

I'm a get on it and ride it kinda guy... I just don't rape it for the first 5 minutes.

post #25 of 43 Old 11-11-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Well wenesday morning here it was still only in the 40's when I headed out.

post #26 of 43 Old 11-12-2010, 12:36 PM
The Cripple

change your habits sml... wheel the bike out, close your door, get on the bike and fire it up. take 10 secs to get settled, and then go ride. bike does NOT need warming up as mentioned before.

post #27 of 43 Old 11-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Di"zx"en

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post

I'm a get on it and ride it kinda guy... I just don't rape it for the first 5 minutes.
I suppose that is the second best way to get it up to temp,but......You guys that dont warm them previous to hitting the road are not doing youself any favors. Just because its fueling to your satisfaction when its cold doesnt mean its good to go. Things are changing sizes at different rates inside the engine untill everything becomes the same temp. Parts dont do well when they're spinning against each and getting tight......YMMV

That'll work........
post #28 of 43 Old 11-12-2010, 02:35 PM
The Cripple

97af if you look into the research that's been done. modern engines are designed to warm up quickly and evenly, and with components used as well as their alloys, temps doesnt make such a big issue like it used to be. plus it makes no sense to warm up your engine but yet your tranny is still cold (sure the oil is heated but still). if you look in the honda owners manual, it does not spectify that the bike needs to warm up prior to riding. it also states to use choke only until the bike can idle smoothly. as soon as the bike can idle smoothly, its ready to ride.

post #29 of 43 Old 11-12-2010, 03:05 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
if you look in the honda owners manual, it does not spectify that the bike needs to warm up prior to riding. it also states to use choke only until the bike can idle smoothly. as soon as the bike can idle smoothly, its ready to ride.
That's what I've always been taught. If the bike needs choke, use it only until the idle smoothes out - usually about 10 seconds. Once it's started I warm it up long enought to get my earplugs, helmet, and gloves on, then I take off. I usually don't get on it hard for the first mile or so.

post #30 of 43 Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Di"zx"en

Quote:
97af if you look into the research that's been done. modern engines are designed to warm up quickly and evenly, and with components used as well as their alloys, temps doesnt make such a big issue like it used to be. plus it makes no sense to warm up your engine but yet your tranny is still cold (sure the oil is heated but still). if you look in the honda owners manual, it does not spectify that the bike needs to warm up prior to riding. it also states to use choke only until the bike can idle smoothly. as soon as the bike can idle smoothly, its ready to ride.
Like I said, Your mileage may vary. Just try to tell the guy that the manufacture and all the independent reasearch out there said it was ok to get on and let her rip when he brings back his cold seized engine. The engine that he just put a million dollars worth of forged pistons into..... Its safe ,cheap security and piece of mine to let the thing warm up before leaving....Not so concerned with the trans as there is a ton of tolerance. More concerned with piston to cylinder wall clearances.But hey,thats just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.....Let er' rip!

That'll work........
post #31 of 43 Old 11-12-2010, 03:43 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97af View Post
Like I said, Your mileage may vary. Just try to tell the guy that the manufacture and all the independent reasearch out there said it was ok to get on and let her rip when he brings back his cold seized engine. The engine that he just put a million dollars worth of forged pistons into..... Its safe ,cheap security and piece of mine to let the thing warm up before leaving....Not so concerned with the trans as there is a ton of tolerance. More concerned with piston to cylinder wall clearances.But hey,thats just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.....Let er' rip!
What is lost on most is the following :
The warm up cycle is supposed to be at light loads.
The best warm up cycle is light load operational use, and idling is the worst.
There isn't a 4 stroke be it car, bike, air or water cooled, that makes power on cold oil in particular, but also cold water jackets or cylinder finnining. Guess why ?
Colds scuffs and cold sticks happen. Guess why ?

post #32 of 43 Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 PM
The Cripple

mcromo nailed it. thats what happens for the first mile or so of riding.. light loads. soon as i hit the freeway though, i crack that puppy open and she is more than happy to oblige. by that point she's had 2 minutes of light load placed on her with idle at several lights.

the real problem for me is i cant get my coolant temp up lol.

post #33 of 43 Old 11-12-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Anyone ever by these?
TwistedThrottle.com : GSG-Moto Framesliders (Honda 599 & 919 right motor protector) - MOK.70-32-H155

post #34 of 43 Old 11-12-2010, 06:54 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

^^ Nothing for the left side. I have Givi crach bars and will be adding Motovation sliders, I need highway pegs.

post #35 of 43 Old 11-12-2010, 09:04 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
^^ Nothing for the left side. I have Givi crach bars and will be adding Motovation sliders, I need highway pegs.
i thought about doing that.. will they fit with the givi's?

post #36 of 43 Old 11-13-2010, 05:22 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
i thought about doing that.. will they fit with the givi's?
I called Motovation yesterday, they purchase the threaded rod in specific lengths so I may have to find a longer piece of 10m stainless threaded rod, and I'll have to open up the top hole in the Givis, other than that I think it will work and I'm pretty sure brokerecord has this setup now, I PMed him yesterday too, haven't heard back yet. If necessary, I'll have the diameter of the sliders turned down but I don't think it'll be necessary.

post #37 of 43 Old 11-13-2010, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Now what about the rash on the side of my engine case? What's a good way to fix this? Other than buying new parts

post #38 of 43 Old 11-13-2010, 09:56 AM
The Cripple

buy new parts.... or pull out a can of spray paint.

post #39 of 43 Old 11-13-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

For 80 bucks im going to buy some Motovation sliders before next rideing season.

post #40 of 43 Old 11-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Several comments:
1 -- If your bike came off it's stand once its just one of those things. More than once its not one of those things, its your thing and either lay in a good supply of everything that gets it when it falls over ... or learn why its falling over and apply those lessons to prevent it in the future. The latter is much much cheaper.
2 -- A lesson learned in one situation does not necessarily apply to other situations. Case in point:
Quote:
Like I said, Your mileage may vary. Just try to tell the guy that the manufacture and all the independent reasearch out there said it was ok to get on and let her rip when he brings back his cold seized engine. The engine that he just put a million dollars worth of forged pistons into..... Its safe ,cheap security and piece of mine to let the thing warm up before leaving....Not so concerned with the trans as there is a ton of tolerance. More concerned with piston to cylinder wall clearances.
Forged pistons cannot be made with anywhere near hypereutectic percentages of silicon in them, and therefore require considerably more piston to cylinder clearance to allow their thermal expansion (up to 15 times more than current cast pistons) to get to equilibrium before getting on it. Honda recommends a cold piston to cylinder clearance of 0.0008" -- yeah, that's 8 ten thousanths of an inch maximum, and I have run them a couple tenths tighter with no problems. And yes, I never warn up an engine before taking off, but I do take it easy for the first couple of miles for one reason: to get the tires up to temperature. Never had a problem with anything else.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode