Turn Signals vs Marker Lights - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Turn Signals vs Marker Lights

Okay guys. I have a dumb question that I could not find an answer by searching. I'm wanting to replace my turn signals with LED signals for their style and brightness. However, I'm finding (when searching DennisKirk.com) that they classify these lights by Marker Lights or Turn Signals. Should I be looking for a three wire marker light for the front and a two wire turn signal for the back? Alternately, should I be looking for two wire turn signals all around and just use the diode mod to make the front running lights and signals?

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I have personally always used the appropriate wiring where needed ... 3-wire or 2-wire. I've even made all the lights running lights for safety. My $0.02 is to make certain safety is always number 1. Many of the aftermarket lights do not meet D.O.T. requirements. The LED's may be very bright straight on, but get washed from the sides or in sunlight. Also, the LED's use less juice and will blink much faster than stock. If this is a problem use a resistor to slow it down.

You're only down the street from me, I spend half my time in Evansville, if you need any help let me know.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #3 of 6 Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Al

A year or so ago I tried to replace the VTR-1000's indicator bulbs with LED's. I bought them, but since the VTR bulbs fit in facing outwards from the bike (90 degrees to the bike, in an east west manner), 90% of the light tried to go out toward the end of the indicator stalk, instead of out through the lens. A waste of time and money as the indicators were all but completely dull and useless.
On the 919, the bulbs fit in indicator parallel to the bike, in a north south manner, which meant the LED's I put aside from the VTR experiment, over a year ago, could now be used at last.. Yes, they fitted and lit up great,, but,, the light from the LED bulb seemed to go straight through the orange lens without lighting up the lens itself, whereas the normal bulb lit the complete lens up. Even though the LED was in itself brighter, its emitted light failed to brighten up the indicator lens, making it appear nowhere near as bright as the normal bulb from a distance immediately behind the bike and back about 20 metres (approx 20 yards). I put the standard bulbs back in...

Be careful just which LED's you get. Make sure they will throw light out omni-directionally...

post #4 of 6 Old 09-12-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I was looking at these... and want them in black. They offer a single function and a dual function. One is LED and the other is a halogen bulb. What is the difference in single and dual function? Is it marker only or marker/blinker??? Why can't manufacturers tell what their product does. Maybe I'm just a spaz.

I didn't really think about putting LED bulbs in the stock signals because honestly I don't like the way the stock signals look. You have this nice sleek bike from the 2000s and it has big square blinkers from the 80s on it. No offense to those who do like them, but they aren't my style. I do want something big and bright enough for idiot drivers to see though.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Immune

led turn or running lights

i bought a set of LED turn signals and they are 2 wire. I was messing around and found that if i hooked up both the turn signal and running light wires to one of the wires on the new LED light the lights worked as both signal and running lights. just connect the ground wire to the ground wire and connect both wires (inside headlight) the to the new signal wire and it should work the same as the factory 3 wire light.

post #6 of 6 Old 09-17-2008, 05:19 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowytgr1 View Post
i bought a set of LED turn signals and they are 2 wire. I was messing around and found that if i hooked up both the turn signal and running light wires to one of the wires on the new LED light the lights worked as both signal and running lights. just connect the ground wire to the ground wire and connect both wires (inside headlight) the to the new signal wire and it should work the same as the factory 3 wire light.

You should take a look at this post.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...7&postcount=25

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode