Triumph open house demo rides - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 05-03-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Triumph open house demo rides

Well, the local dealer had an open house on Triumph bikes this weekend. The primary draw being demo rides on all their 2010 models plus some Ducati's. Unfortunately you could only sign up for 2 bikes and the one I really wanted (Street3 R) was taken all day. I managed to get the last ride of the day on the Speed3.

Impressions:

Fit: First of all, the darn thing is too tall for me. At 5'10" I can't really flat foot the bike, but that's not really a fault for the bike, just an observation. Everything seems laid out pretty well although the reach to the handlebars is a little long so my hands just started to get just a little sore after about 30 minutes in the saddle. Reminded me of my old CBR. It also felt like you are sitting on top of the front wheel and with the chopped backend it's a very compact bike. The seat was decent and the peg placement was also pretty good.

Engine: Sounds awesome. there were about 8 bikes all lined up and running and you could pick out each run running the triple. Almost sounds like it has a turbo whine. Rated at around 76lbft of torque it feels nice and strong starting at about 4K rpm. Tops out at around 9500rpm which is comparable to my 919. Definitely feels stronger but it does have more power in every respect.

Transmission: If I had to fault the bike it would be the transmission. It was hard to feel it going in to gear on the way up and on the way down it felt a little mushy. I definitely prefer the 919 gearbox. Not that it is bad, just didn't care for it myself.

Brakes: If I had to rate the best part of the bike, it would probably be the brakes. The fronts are giant Brembo's that only require the slightest squeeze to reign the bike to a stop. My 919 brakes feel quite pitiful by comparison. So much so that I think I might take them in and have them looked at.

Overall, the bike is nice to look at and listen to. Has outstanding components like Brembo brakes, single sided swingarm and aluminum handlebars. Unfortunately I can't really comment on the suspension. It was really stiff but not set up for me. The bike is a little expensive but worth the cost if you want a great naked bike.

As a side note, the Street triple R is very similar to the Speed triple but is a bit shorter so it fit me a lot better. It has comparable power to the 919 in a 675cc triple. Wish I could have got a ride but no such luck. It got my vote for best looking. The matte graphite and gold scheme looked fantastic. They also had a Thunderbird which is a 1600cc 270degree firing parallel twin and that won the award for best sounding bike. It was definitely music to the ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Line up.jpg (117.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Speed3.jpg (135.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Street3R.jpg (130.4 KB, 23 views)

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Le So Cal Troll

gah dangit.... i really want to try out the 2010 speed triple, and the 2010 roadster!!

post #3 of 4 Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I was there the day before looking at bikes for a friend and sales guy let me know about the demo rides. They are the only triumph dealer around and most never allow demos. It was worth the wait. All in all it's a really well put together bike.

Not sure about the roadster. They didn't have those out. Not sure how I would handle 150lbft of torque.

The Speed3 and Street3 were popular, the guy who rode the Thunderbird loved it. The Bonneville got no complaints. The scrambler wouldn't start, oops. The Sprint ST I didn't get an opinion on. A couple other models sold and so were taken out of the demo lineup.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #4 of 4 Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
.....and most never allow demos.
That really helps me to appreciate my dealer. He tells me to hop on a different bike every time I walk in the place. <<< whatever he's looking to unload at the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode