Transmission knock - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Transmission knock

Just turned 1800 miles, coasting to a stop I hear a knock-knock-knock. It does it with the engine off or on, in gear or neutral, clutch in or out. It is NOT coming from the chain or sprockets, it is internal....did I get a lemon??!! Your opinions please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 11:25 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

do you have a center or rear stand? You may be able to pinpoint the sound while turning the rear wheel with it on a stand. Does the knock change in relation to speed? How's your chain adjustment?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I don't have a stand, I can push it at a snails pace and hear a knock, knocks more the faster I push it.......chain adjusted OK, I keep it slightly loose. I checked the c/sprocket bolt torque...ok.... no uneven wear on the sprocket...it just sounds like it's coming internally.

post #4 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

When did you buy the bike? Honda has a 1 year warranty I'd look to big red if I were you.

post #5 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by riquefied919 View Post
When did you buy the bike? Honda has a 1 year warranty I'd look to big red if I were you.

I might have to.....I can hear it now: "they all do it" or some other kind of lip service. Bought it new 2 months ago.....marvelous.

post #6 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Do you notice it only during braking?

post #7 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Do you notice it only during braking?
Makes no difference whether the brakes are applied or not. Simply pushing the bike up my driveway produces a knock-knock-knock.....it would be a relief if someone else had the same problem....anyone?

post #8 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Are you saying you can hear the knocking over the engine noise? If you can, that's loud and it's something to be concerned with.

I'll have too clean sprockets and chain, though lubed, and the drive train would knock while pushing the bike around in the garage. . .but never while riding. If just smothered in lube, the drive train would be quiet while being pushed around.

I know you have less than 2k miles, but try lubing your chain. . .see what happens.

post #9 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

If conditions are just right, I can just barely hear it knocking while coasting to a stop from about 10 mph. I'll lube the chain and see what happens. I know a superb M/C mechanic at an independant shop, I'll get his opinion. If it's a warranty issue, then it's back to the dealer. That's another issue, I've seen their techs......scary.
Thanks anyway guys.

post #10 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Centurion

I say its the chain.

post #11 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 06:36 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Where are you at in SoCal? Lots of WT members with 919's around here, maybe one of us can swing by and listen to it.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #12 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Where are you at in SoCal? Lots of WT members with 919's around here, maybe one of us can swing by and listen to it.
That could work. I live in Chula Vista ( sorry). If you come to my 'hood, make sure your wearing neutral colors...wait, maybe safer to meet somewhere else. Seriously, that's a good idea you have, maybe when the weather clears or ??
Thanks.

post #13 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 PM
919 City Pilot

About that milage(1400)....one of my clutch bolts backed out (broken spring) hitting the case..... Look thru the oil cap and turn and look for loose / high bolts.

Metal everywhere eek~

post #14 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylifeon2wheels View Post
Makes no difference whether the brakes are applied or not. Simply pushing the bike up my driveway produces a knock-knock-knock.....it would be a relief if someone else had the same problem....anyone?
That was why I asked, I get a knock from the front end on braking once and a while. Thought it might have been the same thing?

post #15 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 07:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
That could work. I live in Chula Vista ( sorry). If you come to my 'hood, make sure your wearing neutral colors...wait, maybe safer to meet somewhere else. Seriously, that's a good idea you have, maybe when the weather clears or ??
Thanks.

I live in Escondido. Miramar or Kearny Mesa would be about halfway. Fun Bike Center maybe? After tomorrow, I'll be free the rest of the week except Saturday.

post #16 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Thanks.
if he lived in san fran it would be called "culo vista"... lol or "culito vista".....

no se cual es lo mejor..

post #17 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegjumpflyer View Post
About that milage(1400)....one of my clutch bolts backed out (broken spring) hitting the case..... Look thru the oil cap and turn and look for loose / high bolts.

Metal everywhere eek~
Good suggestion BUT the clutch does not rotate with the engine off and in neutral....that's one of the conditions when I get the knock. Thanks

SUGS.....thanks for the offer.....I'll try lubing the chain first, if no-go then maybe we could meet at FBC Friday(?) or ???? I'm flexible (and retired) so whenever convenient with you.....stay tuned, I'll let you know how the lube treatment works. Too bad, I love this bike.

post #18 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Good suggestion BUT the clutch does not rotate with the engine off and in neutral....that's one of the conditions when I get the knock. Thanks

SUGS.....thanks for the offer.....I'll try lubing the chain first, if no-go then maybe we could meet at FBC Friday(?) or ???? I'm flexible (and retired) so whenever convenient with you.....stay tuned, I'll let you know how the lube treatment works. Too bad, I love this bike.
i hope it is only in need of some lube.. i used to work in a dealership....

post #19 of 31 Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Discen

Don't know if someone has already said it, check to see if your chain is lubed properly. I had something similar and I checked the tightness of the chain and my sprokets, and it all looked good. Then I realized how many miles I had since my last lube, and it cleared right up.

post #20 of 31 Old 11-26-2008, 01:58 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If the clutch isn't rotating and your bike isn't in gear, it cannot be the tranny.

My wheel bearings kind of sounded like that on their way out. But you don't have enough miles for that problem.

I wish I could be of some help. Let us know what you find out.

post #21 of 31 Old 11-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Tesserarius

I wonder if the countersprocket has picked up some debris that's going round and round?

post #22 of 31 Old 11-26-2008, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Update: I removed the c/sprocket cover and took a close look. It appears that the chain was not perfectly aligned with the teeth,i,e, the chain would ride hide then drop possibly causing it to knock. I cleaned the sides of the sprocket and applied some grease, lubed the chain AGAIN. I pushed it up and down the driveway and no knock.....I will road test when the weather clears.Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions.

post #23 of 31 Old 11-26-2008, 10:31 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

They all do that!

Actually new owners do that. We get a lot of new owners that hear something that sets off all sorts of false alarm.

If the counter was not perfectally alligned with the chain, did you align it? How?

post #24 of 31 Old 11-26-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

No more knocking......for the first 20 ft anyway. It returned with a vengance. Took it straight to the dealer. Service Manager hears it "Hmmm....thats not good". I told him where I stood: If it's anything beyond a simple repair, Honda has 2 choices: Buy it back or replace with a new one. "I agree but it's not my call"..............now the fun begins. Oh well, I still have my trusty old Nighthawk.

post #25 of 31 Old 11-26-2008, 01:11 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
No more knocking......for the first 20 ft anyway. It returned with a vengance. Took it straight to the dealer. Service Manager hears it "Hmmm....thats not good". I told him where I stood: If it's anything beyond a simple repair, Honda has 2 choices: Buy it back or replace with a new one. "I agree but it's not my call"..............now the fun begins. Oh well, I still have my trusty old Nighthawk.
good luck... and don't let them jerk you around..

post #26 of 31 Old 11-26-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

My driveline knock is now history. According to the service manager and Honda Corp., the splined portion of the c/sprocket should have had a coating of grease, which they found dry on removal. They cleaned and greased everything, rode it home, all is well. I'm impressed with the speed and level of service, guess I'll have to eat my words. If you get a knock in the driveline you now know where to look. Thanks for your help guys.

post #27 of 31 Old 11-26-2008, 05:44 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Glad is was a nice easy fix.

post #28 of 31 Old 11-26-2008, 06:19 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

glad to hear you live near a good dealer. The one here hasn't fixed their blown-over sign in 3 months so I wonder how long it would take for them to actually fix something for me.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #29 of 31 Old 11-27-2008, 06:54 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

You know, it sounds hoaky, but your service man did was probably right on the money. I'm pretty sure the front sprocket does move on the shaft a bit.

I've never heard of that one before. Thanks for sharing.

post #30 of 31 Old 11-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Milites Gregarius

Sounds like a good fix but can someone expand on this sprocket side to side movement on the shaft please…

I would have thought as required per spec when one is to torque down the c/sprocket bolt (with washer) it would press the sprocket on to the backside of the drive shaft, and hold it in place.. How would it move????...

This kinda goes to my issue I have with my Renthal sprockets..(which I keep on forgetting to email Renthal about)

Last summer I changed out my front and rear sprockets with a set form Renthal, and just this summer when I was packing the bike away for the session, and cleaning out the centre sprocket area, I noticed that c/sprocket moves on the drive shaft side to side about 1mm…

I have no perceived problems with the side to side movement, but as noted above, with my Renthal c/sprocket, the bolt/washer that is to hold the sprocket in place is not really being torque down as the washer is not touching the side of the sprocket. Essentially the bolt is just torqued down on the end of the shaft.

I drew up a PRETTY picture to help

What do you guys think?

I knew I should have kept the OEM sprocket to compare! Anyone have an original OEM sprocket that can measure the width of the sprocket? As I will be emailing Renthal and ask them to compare the OEM width to their replacement c/sprocket

Quote:
My driveline knock is now history. According to the service manager and Honda Corp., the splined portion of the c/sprocket should have had a coating of grease, which they found dry on removal. They cleaned and greased everything, rode it home, all is well. I'm impressed with the speed and level of service, guess I'll have to eat my words. If you get a knock in the driveline you now know where to look. Thanks for your help guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919_C_Sprocket.jpg (13.4 KB, 21 views)

post #31 of 31 Old 11-30-2008, 05:20 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

it is supposed to have a touch of play in it to keep it from binding etc.... mine has a touch of play... the cbr1000 i had had a touch of play.. so did the 1997 kawa zx6r i had...

now if your REAR sprocket has play... then there are problems..lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode