Trans. Question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 07-26-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Trans. Question

I've got a 2004 honda 919, I've only had it little over a month, I put it up on my stand to lube the chain and to check things out. I put the bike in gear just to let the wheel turn so I could lube the chain and noticed it was acting like it was binding a little and popping. I lubed the chain but it did not help. It does it through all gear ranges. You can Put the bike in nutral and turn the tire by hand and it doesn't do it,So i put it in sixth gear let it spin it will do it, but as soon as you pull the clutch in it stops doing it. I pulled the chain off and you can still hear it, but not as audible as with the weight of the wheel and tire. I was wandering if it was just where their was no weight on the tire and the motor was just catching up with the speed of the tire or visaversa and just jerking when it does catch up. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Every bike I've ever let idle in gear on a stand makes weird noises.

Front sprocket racket, clutch racket, chain racket, etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 11 Old 07-26-2008, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I kinda thought it was normal but I thought it was worth checking out.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Before saying anything else, I feel obligated to say this: NEVER LUBE THE CHAIN BY PUTTING IT IN GEAR AND SPINNING THE REAR WHEEL!!!! A good friend lost three fingers this way, and it only took 1/2 second of inattention to do it.
There, I feel better now.

In answer to your question: what you are hearing is the backlash in the primary reduction gears, the transmission gears, clearances between the chain rollers and sprockets, but espacially the shift dogs, being taken up in the drive direction whenever there is a power stroke and the crankshaft accelerates, then jumping back in the off drive (called overrun) direction when the crank decelerates when pushing the next cylinder up to TDC on the compression stroke. Since the rear wheel has a fair amount of mass it tends to want to keep rotating the same speed and loads the driveline, causing the noise. It's all perfectly normal.

When lubing the chain and wiping it down afterward, put it on the stand, rotate it backward and apply lube just in front of the rear wheel to avoid getting overspray on the wheel and tire, then let it sit for a couple minutes and wipe off the excess, rotating more slowly in case the rag gets caught in the chain and takes your hand with it.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #5 of 11 Old 07-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I've lubed chains by putting the bike on a stand and letting it idle while in gear. After cleaning (with the engine off) you can start it and do this with chain lube from a can with a spray nozzle and a tube. Your hands are nowhere near the chain unless you're a complete inattentive idiot, in which case you've probably already decomposed parts of your body by some other stupid act. Completely safe.

Now if you're trying to use a rag to wipe on chain lube, if the engine is running or not, you need a few lessons anyway.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 11 Old 07-27-2008, 05:36 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

amen Jim

post #7 of 11 Old 07-27-2008, 08:09 PM
speed limits?

no offense, but sitting here reading the first post just isn't making sense to me. "...putting the bike in gear and turning the wheel..." i didn't think the wheel turned freely when the bike is in gear and not neutral, or are you doing this while the bike is running and leaving the clutch out?

post #8 of 11 Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsubishimarc View Post
no offense, but sitting here reading the first post just isn't making sense to me. "...putting the bike in gear and turning the wheel..." i didn't think the wheel turned freely when the bike is in gear and not neutral, or are you doing this while the bike is running and leaving the clutch out?

doing this while the bike is running and leaving the clutch out

post #9 of 11 Old 07-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

I agree with Rob the things called unsafe are named as such for a reason. I'm not saying your gonna put yuor freakin hand in the chain but, pretty wide array of other stuff can and will happen.If you want a list call a home owners insurance adjuster they are really paranoid. OK anyhow a no load run is just that. Every 0.004 clearance is just hammering away with enough force to make its self heard over combustion noise.

post #10 of 11 Old 07-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Tirone

i was originally taught to clean the chain with wd40 and a rag, then lube, both while the rear wheel was turning (in gear, engine idling) as described above. the last time i took this approach my rag got caught and went around the rear sprocket (under the chain). that really got my attention - now i don't do it that way anymore.

...j919

post #11 of 11 Old 07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by j919 View Post
i was originally taught to clean the chain with wd40 and a rag, then lube, both while the rear wheel was turning (in gear, engine idling) as described above. the last time i took this approach my rag got caught and went around the rear sprocket (under the chain). that really got my attention - now i don't do it that way anymore.

...j919
Yep. Never get your hand close to rotating equipment. Learned this years ago when I watched a guy trying to remove a belt guard on a running air handler. He's now minus the two ends of his middle fingers on his left hand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode