Tranny clunk - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 08-29-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Keyf

Tranny clunk

I have a 2006 919. Say, for example, I'm at a stop light. I'm in first and the clutch is disengaged. When the light turns green and I start to let go of the clutch lever...<clunk>.

or

Stop light and neutral. Clutch in and shift to first...<big clunk>

Is all of this normal? Cause I feel like if it clunks too much, I'll shear the teeth of some gear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Mc 9er

clunking from neut to 1st sounds normal,not sure what you mean by clunk when you release clutch,unless maybe it was'nt fully in gear to begin with and slid(or clunked)in when you started to movethats just my uneducated guess

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #3 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 03:24 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

yea that sounds about right. check your clutch lever freeplay, and your idle adjustment. you may beable to quiet it down a little bit.

post #4 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 AM
Newfie

All good... and normal. BTW that "Clunk" sounds cool. I have a 06 as well. The only prob I had was when shifting too quick at higher gears... it would slip into neutral and then rattle the gear before engaging. I slowed down my shift and hasn't done it since.

post #5 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 03:41 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

yea every so often i would miss a shift too, but normally i could feel it before i fully engaged clutch so i would just pull it back in, and try onemore time. i know its no good for clutch but i can replace clutch under $100 way under actually. but i dont want to replace gears in tranny.

post #6 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

The "big clunk" at a stop going into first is normal. The tranny shifts better when moving.

The "clunk" if it's already in gear and you're just letting the clutch out to leave a stop is probably one of two things:
Too much chain slack.
Cush drive taking up slack.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 AM
Dang

ah, the old clunk question. Im begining to feel old around here....

I was nervous at first when I got my 919, now I love when Im at a stop light and drop it into first. LOVE THE CLUNK

post #8 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 05:32 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

it took about 2000 miles on my 06 before it started to shift smoothly. I'm sure part of it was me but things still need to loosen up sometimes. Chain slack is easy to check.

post #9 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 07:24 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Clunk

Karl and 3D, I thought I had bought a lemon the 1st 1500 miles. I'd shift 4-5 or 5-6 and it sounded like the guts would splatter all over me and the road! The 1st time I got severe pucker action and clutched and drifted to a stop, thinking I was gonna slip and fall any second in the gear oil. I remembered what Mike Wheeler said about the trans taking longer to break-in and give it about 2500 miles. Now all smooth,but, I may lower the idle about 100 rpms.

[
post #10 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 07:37 AM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Up until I bought my first v-twin motorcycle last month, I've had the "clunk" with every bike I've ever owned.

My '82 CB900F tranny - bag o' rocks
My 85 Interceptor 500 tranny - bushel o' rocks
Both my '85 Nighthawk S trannies - knapsacks o' rocks
My '87 Hurricane 600 tranny - sack 'o rocks
My '02 FZ1 tranny - box o' rocks

The tranny in my new RoadStar is the first bike I've ever owned with a truly "silky, smooth-shifting" transmission. Never a clunk, nary a sound moving through any gear, up or down.

I've noticed the same thing on my buddy's Warrior, and even my other buddy's POS Heritage Softail shifts like butter.

Is it simply less moving parts in the tranny? What's the dilly-yo?!?!

post #11 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLfromCT View Post
Up until I bought my first v-twin motorcycle last month, I've had the "clunk" with every bike I've ever owned.

My 85 Interceptor 500 tranny - bushel o' rocks
Both my '85 Nighthawk S trannies - knapsacks o' rocks
My '87 Hurricane 600 tranny - sack 'o rocks
My '02 FZ1 tranny - box o' rocks

The tranny in my new RoadStar is the first bike I've ever owned with a truly "silky, smooth-shifting" transmission. Never a clunk, nary a sound moving through any gear, up or down.

I've noticed the same thing on my buddy's Warrior, and even my other buddy's POS Heritage Softail shifts like butter.

Is it simply less moving parts in the tranny? What's the dilly-yo?!?!

I would have to agree that cruiser's trans are smoother in comparison to most of the sportier bikes I have ridin. Heck my Yamaha Quad has smoother feeling shift then 9er.

post #12 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Don't have any clunks when letting out the clutch, but I got them when going into first gear and shifting from first to second. Also, anyone else here ever hear a low rumbling sound from the tranny when you are in neutral and have let go of the clutch?

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #13 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
Don't have any clunks when letting out the clutch, but I got them when going into first gear and shifting from first to second. Also, anyone else here ever hear a low rumbling sound from the tranny when you are in neutral and have let go of the clutch?
clutch rattle. Normal.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #14 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Clunk, rattle & roll !!

Hondas do a "clunk, rattle & roll"

vs.

the HD's "shake, rattle & roll"

post #15 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLfromCT View Post
I used to have one of those too, mine was also like a box of rocks.

post #16 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston919er View Post
ah, the old clunk question. Im begining to feel old around here....

Thats my issue. Not that I am trying to be scarce or a dick... and I know the new guys have the same probs as the veterans but it just feels like we continue to beat the same horse to death.

honda NEEDS to give us a new 919 to figure out all the little quirks.

post #17 of 24 Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Mine only "clunks" going into first.
Very faint rattel at times from the clutch.
Other than that, it's fine.
Shifts better with Repsol oil than HP4.

post #18 of 24 Old 08-31-2007, 01:11 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

If you are routinely hitting false neutrals between gears 99&#37; of the time that is simply operator error because you are not shifting properly. Some guys have taken offense to me saying that cause they have been riding for 30+ years & think they know how to shift a bike, but under closer examination they figure out they it was lazy shifting causing the problem rather than an actual transmission problem which is VERY rare on these bike unless of course you are abusing them with clutchless upshifts also done improperly etc... Some riders have even discovered that they only have mis-shifts when they wear a certain pair of boots etc because the sole of the boot is higher or lower than normal & puts their foot at a different angle on the shift lever.

Excessive driveline lash while you are in motion can be caused by play in the cush drive or too much chain slack, but again the most common cause is the rider allowing too much time between the time he shifts into the next gear before he gets back on the throttle. There is no coasting in motorcycle racing. You should be on the brakes or on the gas in most cases & if you are coasting into a turn or in between shifts then you are putting the engine inbetween postive or negative load through the tranny & building up slack internally. When you finally get back on the gas the slop inside the transmission has to be taken out as well as the slack in the chain & cush drive all of which can lead to a lot of herky jerky motion from your bike.

Another tangent of this problem we have encountered are riders that are babying the bike way too much & short shifting every gear at 3000 or 4000 rpm etc... Quite frankly the bikes transmission was designed for high rpm shifting & low rpm shifting is plain going to be notchy.

If your engine idle is set too high it will cause a larger than normal clunk when slipping into first gear from a dead stop, but that clunk is a normal part of the transmission engagement.

Clutches are very noisy even wet clutches & yes they are quite audible when you engage (let the lever out) the clutch in neutral so that faint rattle you hear is again perfectly normal.

post #19 of 24 Old 08-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
If your engine idle is set too high it will cause a larger than normal clunk when slipping into first gear from a dead stop, but that clunk is a normal part of the transmission engagement.
very true and i suspect your idle is too high hense your nuet to 1st clunk. idle should be around 1k +/-200 i believe... i keep mine around 1k and it does lessen the clunk from Nuetral to 1st.

post #20 of 24 Old 08-31-2007, 01:41 PM
2006 919

thank you for the good information.

some newbie questions
where is the right place to shift on the 919 (what rpm?)

city? highway?

for the clunk I also find if I have trouble shiftin into first if I move the bike back a few inches it slips right in.

post #21 of 24 Old 08-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
some newbie questions
where is the right place to shift on the 919 (what rpm?)

city? highway?

for the clunk I also find if I have trouble shiftin into first if I move the bike back a few inches it slips right in.
A perfect shift in racing is shifting each gear just before the rev limiter. On the street you don't need to go that far with it. just depends on your objective at any given point in your ride. for Ex. if you need maximum acceleration and forward movement because you're running from a Godzilla attack on your city then race shift it, if you're just cruising in traffic then short shifting a little is necessary. I ride by feel with 9ner so i don't pay attention to the tach when i'm shifting on the street.

Oh and you might want to check your idle and if that doesn't help then check your clutch adjustment.

post #22 of 24 Old 08-31-2007, 05:50 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Thanks for the great information and advice, LDH and Streak. My idle is set just at a hair above 1k. I might lower it a little see what happens.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #23 of 24 Old 08-31-2007, 06:45 PM
2006 919

my idle is fine running about 1000+ 100 approx.
I am glad to read here that everybody gets the clunk.
( I can sleep at night now, well after seeing the 919 in the tootoo maybe not so well)

I do alot of city driving, I have to say up till now, I have been low shifting, in the city, and letting the rpms go a little higher on the highways and backroads.
I will try to shift a little higher around town.

mr. clean

post #24 of 24 Old 09-03-2007, 12:46 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I highly recommend once you've got it broken in, get out of town and experiment with the higher end of the band.

(pssst, it's fun)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode