Training on a 1989 Honda NX250 for 2 years ready to upgrade!!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 09-08-2007, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Training on a 1989 Honda NX250 for 2 years ready to upgrade!!!

Whats up everyone..I just sold my beater 89 Honda NX250 Enduro and went down to Berts Megamall in cali. They have a 919 right now for 6890 out the door. Is this a good deal? My budget right now is $8K and am really torn between the FZ1, 919 or z1000, none of the dealers seem to eager to let people test drive, which completely sucks. Plan on commuting from OC to Long Beach and going with my girl on the back on weekends.. I like everything about the 919 except the styling seems really bland..Also is there a way to raise the 919? I am 6,3 and felt the bike seemed small? Also does anyone know the topspeed on the 919? For anybody that cares there are a lot of 06-07 FZ1's getting cracked frames and Yamaha is pretty much blowing off there customers..Which I guess eliminates the Yamaha, corporate pigs. Peace out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-08-2007, 05:03 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome to the site.

Hard to tell you if that's a deal until we know the year.

You could always have the seat redone by Sargent. They can probably add some padding that would raise you up in the saddle some. The stock seat is not very good to start with. I don't know of an easy way to raise the bike unless you make some kind of shock shim/riser. Maybe somebody else can help with that.

The bike's top speed is fast enough.

If Yamaha is blowing off their customers I may be interested.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 10 Old 09-08-2007, 07:04 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Congrats on doing the responsible thing, and starting off for 2 years on a smaller bike! The first "street" bike I rode was an XL350.

I obvously own a 919, so I would prefer that over the others. You can search this forum for a wealth of info on the 919 to help you make a decision. As far as the blandness... one thing about the 919 is that it serves a great platform, in its simplicity, from which you can mod it to your personal taste, and create the look you want to make it your own. The only thing you may not like, and this could be a big issue with your girl, is the "stink factor" associated with the exhaust. Just do a search here on "stink", "exhaust", and "mods", and I'm sure you'll find alot of threads that will help you out.

As far as the FZ-1, I love the previous generation bikes. That has always been a great bike, with a very strong following. But if Yamaha isn't backing up their customers with their current model, I'd look elsewhere also. As far as the Z1000 goes, I personally never really liked the styling. Somehow, to me, it just made it look too cheap and "plasticy".

With an $8k budget, you can get a used 919, and have alot of money left over for personal modifications (or accessorizing, as others may prefer to call it!).

Here's my 919

Here's a couple others:

Dr. Sardonicus'

From europe somewhere (Hornet):

post #4 of 10 Old 09-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I used to live in OC and rode around Long Beach allot. I used to hang out in Belmont Shores and around that area, pretty fun. PCH is a fun ride as well but the po po is all over the place (at least when I was there last).

Anyhow, I wish I could move back there. I love California, Long Island sucks choad.

post #5 of 10 Old 09-08-2007, 07:50 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I lived in Long Beach in the mid-80's, had my '79 Suzuki GS750E back then. Loved heading down PCH through the beach towns, remember riding to some track up on top of a mountain that was beautiful, name escapes my memory.

Enough fond ol' geezer recollections though. 919's are a blast, easy to customize, plenty fast, and even if the design is a bit dated they're still one of the most unique bikes out there.

I'm 6'3" and mine fits me great, not cramped like a lot of sportbikes. You can always have the seat modified and change the bars to fit your particular tastes.

post #6 of 10 Old 09-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Cornicen

All three are cool bikes in my opinion. I would go with whatever one grabs you and has the largest aftermarket support. God knows none of us can leave anything alone.

Motorusher formally known as DirtySanchez919.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

hey which orange county you live in? would love to buy a nx250. please let me know

post #8 of 10 Old 09-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
hey which orange county you live in? would love to buy a nx250. please let me know
Orange County, California

post #9 of 10 Old 09-10-2007, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Here is the link fellas

http://bertsmegamall.com/

You'll notice the 919 halfway down the page I guess it's an 07+ brand new..Sales guy said it has been on the floor for like a year and they are willing to basically blow it out..I had to pass my nx250 down to my younger brother who is just starting out to ride..This NX250 has seriously been through some **** and it keeps going, amazing bike...Honda rocks!

post #10 of 10 Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
Congrats on doing the responsible thing, and starting off for 2 years on a smaller bike! The first "street" bike I rode was an XL350.

I obvously own a 919, so I would prefer that over the others. You can search this forum for a wealth of info on the 919 to help you make a decision. As far as the blandness... one thing about the 919 is that it serves a great platform, in its simplicity, from which you can mod it to your personal taste, and create the look you want to make it your own. The only thing you may not like, and this could be a big issue with your girl, is the "stink factor" associated with the exhaust. Just do a search here on "stink", "exhaust", and "mods", and I'm sure you'll find alot of threads that will help you out.

As far as the FZ-1, I love the previous generation bikes. That has always been a great bike, with a very strong following. But if Yamaha isn't backing up their customers with their current model, I'd look elsewhere also. As far as the Z1000 goes, I personally never really liked the styling. Somehow, to me, it just made it look too cheap and "plasticy".

With an $8k budget, you can get a used 919, and have alot of money left over for personal modifications (or accessorizing, as others may prefer to call it!).

Here's my 919

Here's a couple others:

Dr. Sardonicus'

From europe somewhere (Hornet):

Nice machines! Love the first one looks mean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode