tracksides bar end mirrors - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

tracksides bar end mirrors

finally got my mirrors installed today... didnt want to remove the weights so i wedged them so they wouldnt move, then shimmed the mirrors so they tightened down tight... works golden until.. i dropped 1 of them and it just HAD to miss the floor pad i was using and hit the concrete... resulting in 3 massive cracks in the mirror....

still useable, but the cracks look like shit. i dont want to buy a new pair just to replace 1 mirror. anyone have an idea how i can replace the mirror glass itself or have an extra tracksides mirror laying around that they'd let go?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 05:59 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I went to a local glass shop and he made me 5 or 6 pieces of flat, round glass for a couple dollars from scrap he had laying around. That would eliminate the cracks, but I can tell you that you can't see anything using flat glass

I'd recommend this...

B Bar End Mirrors Suzuki Kawaski Honda Yamaha Chrome : eBay Motors (item 380211687081 end time Mar-09-10 10:55:36 PST)

I bought a set and installed them last week. They have actual glass for the mirrors and the build quality is great...especially since they were only $15

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

those are the EXACT same mirrors that cycle gear sells.... wow i got raped. i thought i got a good deal at $35.00 on sale for my pair. thanks for the heads up dude. i'll jus go ahead and nab a pair of these. it'd cost about the same in time, labor, and glass to fix the cracked one when i can just get an extra to use as a spare.

post #4 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 01:36 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
those are the EXACT same mirrors that cycle gear sells.... wow i got raped. i thought i got a good deal at $35.00 on sale for my pair. thanks for the heads up dude. i'll jus go ahead and nab a pair of these. it'd cost about the same in time, labor, and glass to fix the cracked one when i can just get an extra to use as a spare.
naw, you just got fingered a little.

If you had paid full price for CRG LaneSplitters, THEN you could be claiming rape

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 01:37 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

BTW, sorry to hear of your misfortune... I'm sure frustrating is an understatement.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I went to a local glass shop and he made me 5 or 6 pieces of flat, round glass for a couple dollars from scrap he had laying around. That would eliminate the cracks, but I can tell you that you can't see anything using flat glass

I'd recommend this...

B Bar End Mirrors Suzuki Kawaski Honda Yamaha Chrome : eBay Motors (item 380211687081 end time Mar-09-10 10:55:36 PST)

I bought a set and installed them last week. They have actual glass for the mirrors and the build quality is great...especially since they were only $15

Got any pics of them installed yet? I just ordered a set...

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #7 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 02:07 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughnessy View Post
Got any pics of them installed yet? I just ordered a set...
Hang on...let me walk outside. I'll post some decent phone photos shortly.

post #8 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 02:15 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

here they are...

iPhone takes much better photos than my BlackJack II ever thought about.

post #9 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Can you review them? How do they compare to stock? If you have had other bar ends, how do they compare? Do they vibrate badly?

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #10 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughnessy View Post
Can you review them? How do they compare to stock? If you have had other bar ends, how do they compare? Do they vibrate badly?
I cannot review based on stock mirrors because I never had them. The previous owner told me he dropped the bike in a parking lot and broke the left mirror. Instead of getting another stock mirror, he bought some similar aftermarket mirrors. Those mirrors were great, but I couldn't see past my elbows, even with them pulled in tight. I did ride Sniper's bike and it had stock mirrors but I could see a my elbows in about 25-50% of them too. The view was crystal clear in both mine and what I remember or Sniper's, but the problem was I couldn't see past my own arm.

About a year ago, I ditched the Mickey Mouse ears and went with some eBay bar end mirrors. They were similar to the ones I have on now, but the mirror itself was plastic and it had these two little pieces of plastic that supposedly held the "mirror" in place. Less than 5 miles, the first mirror fell out. I had the seller send me a new set. after less than 9 months (2 of those being winter) I only had 1 mirror left out of the 4 I was sent.

When the weather broke and I started riding more, I bought these. I verified with the seller that the mirror was actual glass. For $15, if they lasted a year they would be worth it. The expansion part that holds onto the ID of the bars is fairly heavy and holds well. Make sure you get it plenty tight. The mirrors are very clear but like everything else on the bike, they start to vibrate around 4,000 and then again around 6,000+. Honestly, they work great. I truly only use my mirrors on a few occasions: when changing lanes in traffic, and when watching for idiots at stop lights. I'll check my mirrors for followers on group rides occasionally as well, but just to glance, see their headlight, then focus goes right back to the road ahead.

My bars don't seem to vibrate any more than they did when I had the stock bar end weights in there.

I can tell you right now I'm not going back to the regular mirrors for a LONG time.

post #11 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

That's what I wanted to know... Seems these are too good to be true but I'm willing to give them a try for such little money!

post #12 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Tirone

I have the same mirrors on mine and like them, good visibility

post #13 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Seņor Calamares

@cmurphy84: where did you get the little plugs that cover the holes for the stock mirror stalks?

post #14 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by applespeed View Post
@cmurphy84: where did you get the little plugs that cover the holes for the stock mirror stalks?
I just picked up some generic plastic panel trim retainers.

I just ran out in the garage and the box has part # 963-056 on it. I know I got them from AutoZone and they only cost a few dollars. The top is the right size, but the plug end is not large enough. I wrapped electrical tape around it a few times until it fit snug.

Dang-it. I'm starting to realize I'm really cheap.

$15.00 mirrors
$3.00 mirror block off caps

Before you know it, I'll be reusing paper towels and buying 2-ply toilet paper just so I can split the plys into two rolls.

post #15 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Seņor Calamares

do you guys know where else i can find those $15 mirrors?

post #16 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

the ebay seller is power.freaks

I ordered mine on April 1st. It is now the 7th and I have not received mirrors, nor have I received an email saying that they have been shipped or anything. Starting to get annoyed...

post #17 of 19 Old 04-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Finally got my mirrors yesterday... For some reason, they painted these a really stupid looking Carbon Fibre scheme. I love the ability of looking behind myself and not see my elbows. The mirrors, however, are much smaller than I anticipated. Also, the convex shape seems overly exaggerated and they could have gone with something not so convex. Overall, what can I say? I paid $15, got the item twelve days after I paid them, and feel safer now that I can see what is behind me...

post #18 of 19 Old 04-13-2010, 02:47 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

You got carbon fiber mirrors for $15...sweet

If you ever decide to go down to one mirror, the wide view is nice. Even having both wide view mirrors is good. There really is no blind spot behind you.

post #19 of 19 Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Imaginifer

I bought these mirrors last fall and have really liked them. Stock mirrors were useless to me on top of being ugly. I can see everything behind me and they don't seem to vibrate at all. No complaints from me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode