TPS sensor - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

TPS sensor

I have a 2002 honda 919 in need of a tps sensor i heard that a honda and acura car would would any one heard of this and if so what models and years

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Honda and acura car would what?

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 16 Old 07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

would fit but not work? smell bad? run over the 919?

post #4 of 16 Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Just to ask a dumb question -- are you sure the TPS is bad?
Until very recently every TPS I've seen on any Honda car or motorcycle has looked the same for the last 15 years, and the pinouts and connectors are the same, but there may be differences in internal resistance, so if you can get an accurate resistance reading from yours use that to compare it to others. Keep in mind as well that looking the same and directly mounting up are sometimes entirely different things, so measure and compare before you buy. Know as well that Honda has mounted every TPS that I'm aware of with break head bolts for many years, so be prepared to deal with this as well.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #5 of 16 Old 07-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Tesserarius

What's a TPS?

post #6 of 16 Old 07-10-2008, 04:25 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Throttle position sensor

post #7 of 16 Old 07-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

This may be a stretch, but I bet your closest Honda motorcycle dealer, or RonAyers.com has one.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 16 Old 07-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Aquilifer

don't think they sell them without the whole throttle body assembly.

don't forget: we're using a cover sheet on all our tps reports now. didn't you get the memo? so if you could just go ahead and put a cover sheet on your tps reports, yeah, that would be great.

post #9 of 16 Old 07-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

[QUOTE=bucky;214777]don't think they sell them without the whole throttle body assembly.QUOTE]
honda will not/does not sell them due to emisson must buy new throttle bodies. hope its not the problem.

post #10 of 16 Old 07-10-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
don't forget: we're using a cover sheet on all our tps reports now. didn't you get the memo? so if you could just go ahead and put a cover sheet on your tps reports, yeah, that would be great.
+1 Same thing came to mind Bucky.

post #11 of 16 Old 07-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Aquilifer

3d, other manufacturers sell tps's by themselves, so there's more to it than just emissions.

as always, think $ first, though there MAY be calibration issues.

post #12 of 16 Old 07-11-2008, 06:21 PM
919>food>beer

they are actually pretty easy to calibrate... they have the instructions in my shop manual for my crx, I would be courious if the voltage is the same, but I bet it is. As for the screws a simple notch and the spin right out, and the are normally a bounty of them at local junk yards. But what makes you think the TPS is bad, I've never seen one go bad persay, unless it was broken.

post #13 of 16 Old 07-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

bucky even honda sells tps for atvs and even dirt bike i beleive but wont do it for street bikes. i asked several service reps for the reason for this and all i could come up with is emissions. though they are bolted on the same way look the same and have the same testing procedure for some reason they are not replaceable

post #14 of 16 Old 07-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Again, how do you know the TPS is malfunctioning?

On pages 5-73 & 5-74 of the service manual there is a check procedure for the TPS which compares VREF (reference voltage) to full open voltage and full open voltage to full closed voltage. All voltage checks should be done with the key on, engine off. You can use a needle pushed up between the wire and its seal in the connector body to measure voltage.

VREF can be measured from the Y/R (+) to the G/O (-) wires at the connector. It should be between 4.5 to 5.5 volts.

Next measure the voltage between the R/Y (+) wire and the G/O (-) wire at full throttle. It should be Vo = VREF * 0.842, or 4.21 volts if the VREF is 5 volts. If the screws are loose, simply turn the TPS body until the voltage is correct, then temporarily tighten the screws. There is a 10% tolerance specified, but shoot for exact if you can.

Now measure the same two wires with the trottle closed -- it should be Vc = Vo* 0.1, or 0.421 volt. Again, a 10% tolerance is specified, so in the example given the acceptable range would be 0.38 to 0.47 volts.

There is an opportunity to tailor the throttle response somewhat by raising or lowering the Vc reading, but I've never heard a voltage value given, so it will be a "tweak it and ride to see what effect it had" situation.

Keep us posted.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #15 of 16 Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 AM
919>food>beer

so yup the volts on the bike are the same as the cars... and as for adjusting it for tweaking throttle response, having it out just by a hair damned near made my car in-operable.

post #16 of 16 Old 07-24-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

TPS

reason i need one cause it is busted soldered wires back together and appoxed it up. Honda nor the accura TPS will work lookin at the backside of sensor it moves counterclockwise where as the bike moves clockwise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode